Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Like “Season’s Greedings,” this episode was written by Dean Cain. For being an actor and not a professional writer, I think he did a really good job on both occasions. Both episodes are very solidly written.

I’ve always thought that it was a nice touch to have Clark stay a virgin until marriage. It just fits with Superman’s Boy Scout image really well. Both the movies and the TV show “Smallville” featured Clark having premarital sex, and the earlier versions don’t mention anything about sex one way or the other, so “Lois and Clark” is actually alone in portraying Clark as a virgin.

This episode, like “The Ides of Metropolis” and “Operation Blackout” featured Superman fighting against some form of technology. I think all three episodes handled it really well, which is a big compliment considering that the movie “Superman III” handled the same idea and is often mocked as one of the weakest Superman films ever made. The writers of “Lois and Clark” deserve a lot of credit for doing a better job at handling the idea of Superman vs. technology.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Lois' whole "your a very patient man" was classic. It is a bit odd that he never brought up that fact to her during the whole "Chip off the Old Clark" episode though.

It is definantely better than the movie universe, which gives us the mess of "Superman Returns".

My one complaint though is it took Lois too long to realize that Jaxon looking like Clark was not Clark. She really should have realized immediately what was going on.

John Pack Lambert
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
It was always kind of implied that the Reeve version might have been as he went pretty soon from training into Metropolis and meeting Lois with little in between (but as you said, it was never explicitly stated.)

I always thought it kind of made sense for a version that was not learning about his heritage and training (other then Self-discipline/non-typical training) until he was an adult would want to hold off on this sort of thing. What didn't make much sense was them deciding to wait fully until they were married. I WOULD have liked to see them make that decision onscreen. I think it would have made their near consummation in "Supermann" (or did that happen before this ep?) even more interesting.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Christina:
It was always kind of implied that the Reeve version might have been as he went pretty soon from training into Metropolis and meeting Lois with little in between (but as you said, it was never explicitly stated.)
I believe what LLF was referring to was that Reeve Superman and Lois had their ONS in the FOS without getting married first. It was apparent by what that Clark had to do before he allowed himself to have a night of intimacy with a woman that Lois was his first. Although, the way he acted in SM3, she might not have been his last.

After watching this episode over and over and over again to get a better feel for the VR world and to understand Jaxon's character better for "Missing Lois", I developed a soft spot for it. Jaxon grew on me (or at least my interpretation of him did) and I thought him misunderstood. He just wanted to be closer to his father, although his means of accomplishing said feat (such as developing a crush on his father's former fiancee) weren't the route most of us would take, they were completely understandable. I bet he originally created his VR so that he could have time with his "dad", which is kind of sad. It makes me wonder if the VR Lex uses at the beginning of HoL to fly like Superman was a gift (or an example of his abilities) from Jaxon.

I'm a bit surprised that neither Jimmy nor Jaxon saw the similarities between CK or SM while Jaxon was impersonating Clark while he was in the VR, or why Lois wasn't suspicious of a Clark without his glasses on.

I love the shot of Clark and Lois in the VR booths making out with one another without touching. evil That was pure genius.

Originally posted by John:
Lois' whole "your a very patient man" was classic. It is a bit odd that he never brought up that fact to her during the whole "Chip off the Old Clark" episode though.
I also love the "... very patient man" line. I don't think Clark brought it up in COtOC because Lois would have thought that he was lying or covering it up, since she knew he was really good at doing such things. The boy obviously had Clark's powers, and Clark never recalled a Bolt of Blue moment with anyone other than William W. Waldecker.

The way they left it hanging with Jaxon's soul locked inside the computer (servers or the Internet) made me think they could easily have brought him back at some point to wreak havoc on their lives again.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Originally posted by Christina:
[qb] It was always kind of implied that the Reeve version might have been as he went pretty soon from training into Metropolis and meeting Lois with little in between (but as you said, it was never explicitly stated.)
I believe what LLF was referring to was that Reeve Superman and Lois had their ONS in the FOS without getting married first.
Yes, that is the scene I was referring to.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I also love the "... very patient man" line. I don't think Clark brought it up in COtOC because Lois would have thought that he was lying or covering it up, since she knew he was really good at doing such things. The boy obviously had Clark's powers, and Clark never recalled a Bolt of Blue moment with anyone other than William W. Waldecker.
Hmm, I guess it makes sense that Clark did not bring it up as a defense.

Also, we could argue that Clark implies it when he tells Lois "the reality is there has only ever been one women in my life, and she is wearing a ring", but evidently Lois did not get that spind from that conversation.

On the issue of "them deciding together", there might be a point. I was going to say it seems they have decided to wait until marriage jointly, which some of Lois earlier comments probably do suggest. However, since Clark also says "we've never really talked about that thing", you do get the impression they may have avoided that subject.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Looking for fanfic related to this episode... well, there aren't many, and pretty much all the ones listed here are vignettes or single-scene rewrites.

Tank Wilson has the hilarious Outrageous Intentions . It's a quick little bit of fun!

Another vignette is DSDragon's Computer Whiz\'s Genius .

Renee Charles re-writes one scene from the episode in Virtually Fixed .

And in Nicole Wolke's Virtually Destroyed: A Missing Scene , she tells us what led to the decision to wait until the wedding night.

Barb Pillsbury does a hilarious plot untwist in Virginally Destroyed . I always like the plot untwists.

On the nfic side, Alcyone wrote the hot Pandora\'s Aquarium , which was continued by Sue S., where Lois and Clark take advantage of that virtual world. Don't miss these smokin' hot nfics.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard