Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This episode adapted the comic book villain the Prankster, which I think is significant because out of all of the Superman villains that were later adapted on the show “Smallville,” the Prankster was not among them. It’s a little surprising because that show adapted practically every major Superman villain, including Lex Luther, Mxyzptlk, Brainiac, Zod, Bizarro, Metallo, the Toyman, Doomsday, and Darkseid, but they never adapted the Prankster. I’m not quite sure why that is. Maybe the producers thought that the concept was too silly. However, I think that it’s nice that “Lois and Clark” managed to adapt a character that has never appeared anywhere else in live action, and I think that the show did a pretty good job with the character.

There were a couple of things that I really liked about this episode. Clark teasing Lois about her lies to Randall was pretty funny. Also, I enjoyed that Superman didn’t have to actually save Lois for once. It was nice to see her get out of a jam before Superman arrived this time around.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I liked how Lois showed up at Clark's place when she was worried.

Her throwing out Clark's roses at the end was funny. However, under the circumstances it really made no sense that he did not include his name on the card.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just like the episode "The Source", there aren't a whole lot of fanfics based on the episode "The Prankster". Jana L. Officer wrote Being Unique .

Wendy Richards did write several fics based on this episode, one of which is Yellow For Friendship , which tells us what happens after Lois throws away those yellow roses.
Another is Escape From The Prankster , where Lois goes to Clark's apartment and there is a steamy encounter. It's originally an nfic.
And her third fic is On My Dreams , where "Clark's teasing words to Lois in the episode "The Prankster" that if she was married she'd be less likely to be troubled by stalkers come back to him with a vengeance...".

Kaethel is always good for romance, and she's written In Loving Arms , where Clark sees the frightened and vulnerable side of his usually unflappable partner.

Katie Sizer tells us what would have happened if Lois hadn't fallen asleep at Clark's apartment in Into The Early Hours .

There seems to be a strong romantic component in all these fics, and less A-plot.

Kerth
Kerth
There seems to be a strong romantic component in all these fics, and less A-plot.
If I had to guess, it's because this episode contains one of the sweetest moments between our heroes (at least pre-dating). After Griffin threatens her, Lois immediately heads for Clark's apartment. No matter how many times I watch the scene, I still get shivers. Lois truly lets down her guard and is vulnerable enough to admit to Clark, "I don't want to die." And then (be still my heart), the way he looks at her and the way his voice deepens and goes soft when he tells her, "Lois, I would not let that happen." thumbsup

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had to go search for it, but I was pretty sure I once wrote a fic based on that couch scene. And I did! Gimme Shelter
Hint... Upload to Archive... Hint...

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This episode had one of the many times that I think Clark doing something super should have got him caught. Lois should have noticed that he had actually put his foot out of the car and that had stopped the car. Well, OK, she at least could have noticed that.

I thought the prankster was a well done and believable villain. His dislike for Lois made sense.

I also liked how Jimmy called the police with his theory against the Prankster's father at the end.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I forgot one "Prankster"-related fic - it's Nan Smith's Daddy's Little Girl , part of her "Dagger" Series.

In here, the Prankster et al escape from prison and come back to get revenge on L&C and their family. It's better than I'm making it sound.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In this episode, we learn a bit more about Lois's career history. She mentions that "my first big story was an expose on the illegal arms business. It led to the FBI arresting 12 people. Kyle was at the top of that list." Explains a little of her history that we already know about with Claude stealing her gunrunning story (from the script), and / or the gunrunners she followed to the Congo (where alt-Lois disappeared).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Except I am guessing that this is not the story Claude stole, since she did not go to print with that one. It might connect to the Congo though.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard