Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This was always one of my favorite episodes. I’ve always enjoyed stories that revolve around mobsters, so that alone interested me in this episode. What I think works well for this episode is that it isn’t just your typical story about mobsters. It involves a very strong female character, whereas most mob stories center on men. This is especially significant since this show is the first version of Superman to make a female character, Lois Lane, just as important as Superman himself. I like that the writers went out of their way to create more strong female characters in this version of Superman.

I also liked the aspect of Lois and Clark going undercover. The nightclub setting meant that Teri Hatcher got the chance to sing, and I think she has a pretty good voice. Also, superficially speaking, the outfits Lois wore while undercover were very sexy, so that fact alone won this episode some points from me. smile

The last thing I want to note is that this episode provided us with another chance to see a jealous Lois, proving that she really was attracted to Clark from very early on even if she wouldn’t admit it to herself.

Kerth
Kerth
I don't know how I missed this one, because I definitely have lots of favorite things about this episode.

Chief among them is the fact that this is the only time in the whole series when I can see why Lois would be interested in Lex. When he shows up at her apartment while she's in her schlumpy robe and eating ice cream, he's actually quite charming.

I love Clark's reaction to Lois singing. He's clearly impressed and forgets for a moment or two that he's supposed to be tending bar. I love that he tosses her in that dumpster and that he takes advantage of the situation to spank her lightly on the way out the door. I love the way he fends her off when she storms into his apartment. I love the bickering and her jealous reaction when he kisses Toni.

It's a very fun episode. I'd be more detailed but it's been a while since I've seen it. I'll have to put it on in the background the next time I'm writing. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There seem to be quite a few fanfics based on this episode, or using events from this episode. For some reason, the thought of Lois in the chicken outfit seems to stimulate the muses.

A recent one I read and enjoyed was Terry Leatherwood's "Play Some Mountain Music" . Don't miss it.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've been watching this episode recently and I caught an interesting line, Clark says to Lois when he comes into the office after confronting Toni at the warehouse. He tells Lois that Toni left his apartment around 10pm. Let's assume she made lasagna, which takes at least an hour to prepare, then they ate. So, she was there... what?... 2 hours; therefore arriving at around 8pm. This is supposed to be the same night that Lex caught Lois as Lola at the Club, and Clark dumped her in the trash. So, the Metro Club was packed, and the evening's entertainment had started by what 6pm, 7pm at the latest? And Clark's bartending shift finished just after that? Shortly after he started? Timeline wise, it doesn't make any sense. No "Night Club" would close that early.

If anyone can come up with a timeline to make this "day" during "Crush" make any sense, please let me know.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Blogger
Blogger
I really likes this episode more for the way Clark interacts with Lois. He was so sassy with her, especially when undercover, and I kind of miss that dynamic they had going on for many of the earlier episodes, as opposed to the way they interact with each other in later seasons. Of course, jealous Lois was fun to watch, too!

Kerth
Kerth
That has always bugged me, too, Virginia!

The lasagna alone would have taken a couple of hours to make and then bake. It boggled my mind! I finally decided that Clark and Toni were having an extremely late dinner (like 3 a.m.?). When you look at it that way, Lex showed up at Lois' apartment in the wee hours of the morning, too.

There's simply no way to "fix" that timeline. You have to assume that they are all night owls and that maybe the next day was a Saturday or Sunday and they'd all be sleeping late.

Frankly, I'm still impressed/amazed by the chutzpah of Toni, showing up unannounced to make lasagna in the first place! Sure, she's supposed to have graduated from the Cordon Bleu and she's used to being in charge, but, wow, was that ever presumptuous! "Hi, I barely know you, but I'm going to spend the next few hours here at your place cooking you dinner. It's going to take a while, but I'm sure we'll find something to do while that lasagna cooks..." :p

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Actually, the bigger question is always, how did Toni find Clark's place? It is not like he gave out an address at any point. Charles King is supposed to be a laid off dock worker. He says it is a friends place, but how does Toni find his place? I guess she could have had him tailed, but still.

Is it possible Clark got Toni to leave before the lasagna was done? Actually thought, Clark getting off work before 10:00 PM does not really make sense.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I felt the urge to add some more fanfic recommendations!

Artemis has an alt-beginning where Clark meets Lois at the Metro Club, in All The Daytime and the Nighttime . Clark is an FBI agent! Artemis has a sequel, Nighttime in the Daytime , which explores the LnC relationship. This sequel also has some nfic chapters .

What if Lois were really ticked off by Clark throwing her in the dumpster? And what if she knew his secret? And what if she published it? Well, Tank Wilson and Wendy Richards explored that in Getting Even .

And, as Pam Jernigan tells us in I Is For Illusions , "Lois and Clark have agreed to act as if their one impetuous night of passion (following Trask's raid on the Daily Planet) had never happened, and they're slowly becoming friends. But as Lois goes undercover at the Metro Club, she's forced to realize that she's got a "crush on two" -- she swoons over Superman, but is finding that it's not easy to forget Clark."

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard