Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#183571 07/18/06 06:15 PM
samik Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
I'm teaching the Hero Journey in my 9th grade Language Arts class in the fall, and in the midst of my research, found that our beloved television show is an example of said journey.

My call to action for you is this: which episodes do you think most obviously exemplify the journey?

Thanks for all your help.
Sam

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
#183572 07/19/06 05:41 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm not quite sure whether I might be able to help you, but I never heard of that kind of literature. So I looked it up and wanted to know if that's what you're talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_journey

Well, it sounds quite interesting - especially that you try to involve L&C wink (okay, even physics would be great when calculating how fast Superman might be able to fly... laugh )

What I did not completely understood... do you think that this journey happens during one single episode or during the whole show?

Cause I think that the second possibility might not fit exactly when we think about how the whole show ended - at least I didn't have that sense of completion frown

And I also do not see that "refusal of the call" - it might depend on what you mean with "the call" (cause imho there was no "call" as in the global meaning of the word, no kind of everlasting task, at least not given from something or somebody external) and where you put the beginning of the journey. Of course, Clark hid when he became aware of his powers - so, if you put it like that, I would agree wink

But when you just see the show as the whole journey, I don't remember any episode when Superman was saying "No, I won't do that" when being asked to rescue somebody (hey, he even tried to save Lex... grumble )
But I might be wrong since it's along time ago that I watched all the episodes.

Bye,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#183573 07/19/06 12:06 PM
samik Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Wikipedia is the teacher's resourse bible. smile I was thinking over the course of a single episode. And I agree, I haven't seen any refusal of the call to action either. I, myself, went through quite a bit of the first season after making that post last night and came up fairly empty.

The closest example I have so far is "All Shook Up" (which, coincidentally, was the first ep. I ever saw-6th grade science) where one could argue that the supernatural world is the one in which Clark/Superman has no memory.

If, with our collective knowledge of the show, can't come up with anything, that's cool. I'm going to use Harry Potter 4, which I think exemplifies the journey the best of the four HP films.

Sam.

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard