Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
L
I am currently writing a story, and the question in the title is what I need help brainstorming. A discussion would be welcomed and appreciated. help

Given that this *is* entirely possible, and given the situation that kryptonite can be made into a liquified form and has in fact already entered Superman's system with intent and purpose of seriously immobilizing him, but not killing him... I'm posing this scenario:

Superman's abilities are a threat, and an agency of sorts with limitless resources and money have made it their mission (and experimentation) of finding a way to normalize Clark. They theorize that his super abilities lie within his blood cells, his genes. Their purpose is to mutate those genes so he is no longer able to be "super." Which is where my question comes in. Green kryptonite destroys, and Red kryptonite over-corrects, or gives apathy and nonchalance. Given the scenario that they can begin this experiment with blood samples, how might this be a possible accomplishment? What methods could this agency use to go about "normalizing" Superman? A reminder that they already have him contained, and there is enough trace of liquid kryptonite in his system to render him powerless, but having to act quickly so the poison doesn't take over his system.

Any ideas on this would help me out greatly smile If clarification is needed, let me know. Trying not to give the whole story away, just the bare essentials.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -- Albert Einstein
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I guess the question is whether green kryptonite by itself is always going to be fatal to Superman. If it were administered in controlled dosages, might it not just be enough to cause him to lose his powers without actually killing him?

Maybe you could use it sort of the way that chemotherapy is used to treat cancer patients. If I understand how that works (and I really don't), the idea is that poisons are introduced into a person's system that are powerful enough to kill the cancer without actually killing the person. However, if too much were introduced, it is my understanding that the treatment could kill the person.

So... working on that basis, maybe you could use the kryptonite like the drugs used in chemotherapy. And then, since in one episode red kryptonite seemed to be sort of... calm him, use the red kryptonite to keep him from experiencing the numbing pain that usually comes from exposure to green kryptonite.

I'm sure there would probably be other side effects, but it might allow him to operate as a normal person - although, perhaps one who is always slightly drugged up.

Not sure if that helps or not, but thought I'd throw that out there.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
L
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
L
ML,

Thank you for your ideas smile That is sort of the initial idea I had for liquid kryptonite, that it's being given to him in small enough doses that it effectually wipes out his powers. Their experiment would be to find a way to normalize him completely, so no controlled substance had to be monitored and intravaneously given on a regular basis. Which is where I had the idea that perhaps red and green kryptonite could work together. But I'm not very researched in the science field and with the human body, which is where I'm hoping ideas could generate at this place and could potentially help me out.

Taking the idea of liquid kryptonite as a chemotherapy of sorts is an idea that seems reasonable. Hmm... perhaps working with green kryptonite only might make the most sense. Thank you for helping!

I'm open to other ideas as well. The more the merrier smile

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
The human analogy that springs to my mind is immunotherapy. An allergen is administered in extremely small doses, and the dosage is gradually increased. The hope is that the allergy suffered will be able to build up a tolerance to the allergen. It has the potential of being a very dangerous procedure if not done properly, since a potentially fatal anaphylactic response could result if the dosage were increased too quickly. (Translation: Don't try this at home!) But it has had positive results for at least some allergens.

I don't know whether this will help at all, but I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Joy,
Lynn (who, as of this post, will be promoted from "Columnist" to "Features Writer" smile )

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I don't think the allergen idea would work because essentially kryptonite is radioactive but the radiation is more dangerous to Superman than to humans. The idea of chemotherapy to keep him "un-super" would work, I think, but only temporarily because they would have to keep administering it and eventually it would kill him.

Perhaps you could use the idea of gene therapy. In some treatments for cancer, genes are individualized and actually target the individual's cancer. As I understand it, this is individualized for each person. This idea also has other potentials like changing something about a person (not just the cancer). In a way, this is already practiced (think of how we use genetics to get a faster race horse, etc). Eugenics is also a form of this.

The thing of it is, though, that in order to change Superman's DNA would mean they would have to understand it and we don't even completely understand our own DNA. Knowing that sunlight (and possibly other forms of light) gives him his power isn't enough, I think, to know what gene they should target. But then we don't have a lot of things they had on Lois and Clark so I think anything you come up with would probably work.

You could always use gold kryptonite. In the Pre-Crisis world this caused a permanent loss of Superman's powers. In the Post-Crisis world (this is the comics of which I speak) it only temporarily takes a Kryptonian's power (for all of 15 seconds). kryptonite (Wikipedia) There are many different types of kryptonite listed in Wikipedia including the one invented on Lois and Clark (The Hybrid-K that Jefferson Cole wanted to use to kill humans.) You could always invent your own.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
L
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
L
That is a GREAT website link you offered! I had no idea how many forms of kryptonite had been invented. Smallville has definitely helped add to that. I stopped watching it cuz it was getting a bit too far-fetched for me.

I really like the idea of Gold Kryptonite. Although I guess I should say, this agency's experiments aren't going to be successful, but I needed an array of different ideas. Trying to invent their own form of kryptonite that would permanently render him powerless. I completely agree with you that as far as gene therapy goes, actual science doesn't know enough for my story to really be close to reality, but alas, that's why it is fiction goofy

Thank you very much, everyone! I think that helps give me what I need.

Classicalla, I appreciate your knowledge on the various Superman universes that have been created. Would you be willing to, once I am able to write these scenes and get to the nitty gritty details of it, be able to call on you should I need further help explaining this information to the readers?

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I had one thought pop into my mind that might be useful... what about an implant that time-released small dosages over a long period of time?

I have no idea if the medical and/or chemical basis works with your liquid Kryptonite or the chemotherapy ideas, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Maybe the scientists could discover a unique organelle (a specialized part of each cell) which allows Clark to process sunlight and gives him his powers. Then they could use either gene therapy or some kind of drug (maybe a K-laced drug) to permanently disable those organelles. This could be the mechanism by which the gold K works.

Have fun.

This *is* my happily ever after.
L
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
L
Thank you guys! Your ideas are really helping smile

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard