Next Thread
Print Thread
#162559 09/28/09 12:29 PM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey guys smile

Does anyone know much about stocks? I have a couple of questions for a plot I'm hashing out for something new I'm working on.

1--If a relative (a grandfather) wanted to buy stocks in a company, then he died, what happens to those stocks? Do they get inherited by a next of kin or a person noted in his will? Or do they get somehow re-absorbed by the company or something?

2--Can you buy stock in a company FOR somebody? A relative, etc?

Thanks! As you can tell, I know very little about stocks and the stock market. :p

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Um, whoever he gives them to.

And yes.

And speaking of... Long Road Home II?

/duct tapes Erin to fic...

Carol [who only knows what she's heard here and there and has no personal knowledge]

Features Writer
Features Writer
Try this link for a news article about inheiriting stocks:

http://money.cnn.com/2000/11/29/pensions/q_retire_slott/index.htm

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Short and sweet it's this:
First the grandfather has to actually buy the stock and have it in his name. If he hasn't bought it yet, it doesn't exist as stock. He can buy stock for relatives, but that is now in their name and it doesn't matter whether he dies or not.
The estate of the deceased gets the stock. If there are many descendants and there is no will, it is divided at the behest of the executor of the estate.
It is illegal for the company to reabsorb the stock. It is as good as money.
Probate is required only if the estate is large. Recently, that has been over $200,000 for the federal taxes.
Taxes are paid by the estate (i.e. executor) if it is sold to anyone.
It is best if there is a valid will naming an executor.
The inheritor of the stock can apply to the company and either sell it back to them or put it in their name. There is a form online for most companies that allows the inheritor to state their preferences.
The price of the stock is what Wall Street says the value is at the day of the actual transaction by the company. This could be days after the inheritor notifies the company they want to sell.
Most companies offer the inheritor the opportunity to by more stock, usually to the limit of that for the small investor.
Hope this helps! I'm not a financial pro, but I had recent experience with my mother's stocks.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
THANK YOU, guys! Your information was more than helpful. I really, really appreciate it! sloppy

(And yes, Carol, Long Road Home 2 is still in the works. Just added a few more scenes last week. smile )

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Since the estate pays a tax on the total value of the estate the "basis" of the stock is reset to what it is worth at the time of the inheritance. So when you sell the stock later the capital gain tax you pay is on the difference between the sale price and the basis at the time you inherited.

You can end up with cases like my wife and I. We inherited stock from her mother that she had inherited from her father. With both of them having sold some and it being split among the heirs we have one stock where we own 5 shares and get a $1.30 in dividends total each quarter. The valus of 5 shares is such that selling it would cost more than it is worth however.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Since the estate pays a tax on the total value of the estate the "basis" of the stock is reset to what it is worth at the time of the inheritance. So when you sell the stock later the capital gain tax you pay is on the difference between the sale price and the basis at the time you inherited.
Yes, that is true. I bought more of the stock I inherited (Met Life)and it was at the bottom of the market, so I've made quite a bit.
However, one other stock I got gives me a $0.17 dividend each quarter! And I can't sell or trade that one. That really seems like a waste of time and paper!
cool
Artemis

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
However, one other stock I got gives me a $0.17 dividend each quarter! And I can't sell or trade that one. That really seems like a waste of time and paper!
You might contact the stockholder relations people at the company. Sending you a annual report costs them quite a bit each year so many companies have programs where they'll buy stock at cost to get rid of small stockholders.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It had something to do with the leftover piece of conversion from life insurance to stock. But maybe it will be worth a try.
cool
Artemis

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard