Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
This might interest fanfic writers:

The Commonly Confused Words Test

The carrot afterwards is a bit over-effusive... goofy

English Genius

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 88% Expert!

You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
Anyone else want to give it a try? smile

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I did pretty well, but I really don't like anything less than at least 95% wink .

English Genius
You scored 93% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I haven't checked the answer key but I will because the ones I must have gotten wrong I'll need explanation to understand since I probably always get them wrong. smile

Fun test. I'm with you, Laura, except with lower overall scores.

English Genius
You scored 93% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 77% Expert!
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh dear. I feel so inferior... I did this test last week or so when it was making the rounds on LiveJournal...

Advanced
You scored 93% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 61% Expert!

You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.
It's silly when it goes further down, tho...

Compared to users who took the test and are and in your age group:
100% had lower Beginner scores.
100% had lower Intermediate scores.
100% had lower Advanced scores.
100% had lower Expert scores.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Merriwether
Merriwether
I shouldn't be here. I told myself no LnC for a few weeks to study some accounting...ha!

Advanced
You scored 86% Beginner, 80% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 61% Expert!

Hrumph.

I wish I could find out what I did wrong!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 83% Expert!
Wow! smile1 I did slightly better than I thought I would since there were a few I was unsure on. laugh

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 77% Expert!
I'm proud to note that I did not choose a single grammatically incorrect answer.

I did, however, occasionally fail to recognize that there were two correct answers.

Roo: there is a link to the answer key, so you can check each question and see what the correct answer was.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Advanced
You scored 100% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 66% Expert!
You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.
I always knew there was a reason for BRs and GEs. :p I mostly missed the ones that had 2 right answers. Fun quiz!

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
I haven't checked the answer key yet, but I know there were some that I had to look at for awhile. At least I didn't embarrass myself too badly. <g>

Advanced
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 72% Expert!
EDITED TO ADD: OK, I've looked at the answer key. Almost all the questions I missed on the Expert section were because I only picked one answer when the correct one was "either a or b" or "all of the above". So that's not so bad. smile Oh, and the one I missed all together (canal/channel, the last question) I disagree with her answer -- I still think I'm right. <g>

Kathy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Advanced
You scored 93% Beginner, 80% Intermediate, 81% Advanced, and 61% Expert! You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.
Geez! What a shame! I think I'm gonna runaway and hide.

Carole smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting quiz; like Kathy, where I missed some it tended to be because the question accepts 'all of the above' as correct (and sometimes I disagree with that wink ). The only question I would seriously quibble with is the one which accepts 'awhile' as a correct answer - I see Kathy uses it as a word, wink but in my UK English vocabulary it doesn't exist. goofy This guarantees any UK English speaker will get at least one question 'wrong'.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
The quiz doesn't work properly. My score is:

100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, 52% Expert

Then I got my husband to take it and he got a ridiculously low score so I went over it with him while he chose the same answers (I watched to compared them to my answers) and he got a completely different score the 2nd time around. Also, his answers were almost all the same as mine.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 82% Expert!

You scored higher than 74% on Beginner
You scored higher than 38% on Intermediate
You scored higher than 68% on Advanced
You scored higher than 90% on Expert
Except that I think I did better than that, lol--I have always edited everything I saw (much to my mother's dismay--"Mommy, they spelled that wrong! It's supposed to have an I, not an A!"). I didn't like the either/neither or all of the above options whatsoever . . . Maybe the test just doesn't work right, like some have said. *shrugs* I don't know.

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Advanced
You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 52% Expert!
Not bad for an ESOL, huh? wink

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's mine:

You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 76% Expert!
I think some of the questions are ambiguous - one sometimes has to second-guess the intentions of the question setter in order to choose the right answer.

And why shouldn't water flow from a river into a canal and thence into the ocean? I'm no geographer, nor a civil engineer, but it doesn't seem such an unreasonable arrangement to me. laugh

Edit: Oh, and apparently I'm an English Genius. Wish I could tell Mr Gordon (my English teacher at school). laugh
Yvonne

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard