Print Thread
#145890 11/27/04 05:05 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
FFQ for those who live in New York. This may sound kind of stupid, but is there any place on the Bridge to pull over in case of emergencies? Or do they just shut down the lane in question?

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#145891 11/27/04 10:18 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm a lot more familiar with the West Side tunnels than I am with the East Side bridges, but I'm pretty sure that on the Brooklyn Bridge, as with most major bridges, there is little to no shoulder. Just browsed through a bunch of online pics to double-check, and now I'm even more sure.

If you have an emergency, the best option is to get off the bridge if you can make it. If not, try to pull to the side. If you can't do that, stay put. If you do stop on the bridge, people will go around you. Emergency vehicles will make their way over (once someone notices or a diver alerts them), as appropriate. I think there are usually a couple of city tow trucks assigned to the bridge, waiting at one or both ends, so if anything happens, they can clear the way quickly. They won't shut down the whole lane if there's any choice about the matter. They'll just direct people around the problem (closing off a relatively small section of the lane) until it's cleared.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#145892 11/27/04 02:19 PM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Thanks. smile

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#145893 11/28/04 10:23 AM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
As a long-time Brooklynite, I would like to add that, as the Brooklyn Bridge is a relatively short span (about 6,000 ft including approaches and exits), it backs up very quickly when one lane closes (there are 6 lanes total - 3 lanes in each direction). It is very difficult for tow trucks or emergency vehicles to get to an accident or stalled car quickly because all approaches are bumper to bumper. If an accident takes up more than one lane of traffic it can take close to 2 hours (or more) to clear up. I have been on the Bridge at 2:00 in the morning where traffic was slower than at rush hour because a lane is closed for repair vehicles performing routine maintenance.

Amy

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard