Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Oh, Sara!! I never, ever expected this! Thank you so much!! goofy - you chose your premise perfectly. And what an original approach to TOGOM! You portray Perry so well, and his own grief, combatting with his desire to comfort Lois and his memories of Clark's longing for Lois, just brought a tear to my eye. mecry

The finish was so poignant, so heartwrenching:
"Time whispers past us like butterfly's wings. We don't know - we *never* know - until it's too late. Shooting stars flame out almost the second they appear, but they make an unforgettable impact while they light up the sky with their brilliance. Clark Kent was a shooting star; one of the best and brightest to work for this paper. He will not be forgotten, and the Daily Planet will not rest until his killers are brought to justice."

I turn my chair around so that I'm facing out the window as a lone, disobedient tear makes its way down my cheek. An Editor is meant to be a strong man, who fights his battles alone. Perry White, the Editor, is a strong man.

But the weak part of me - the "Chief" - grieves for his son.
Yeah. That I can really believe. mecry mecry

Thank you, Sara. This is such a wonderful treat, and such a terrific story. I'm honoured!!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sara - what a neat twist on this whole premise. Of course Perry would feel devastated when he believed Clark to be dead. Wonderful!

I feel so bad for him about the guilt he is going through, thinking he should have done more to get those two together. And also like that from the sidelines he had a clear picture of the two of them - that Clark loved Lois and that she was softening from his influence.

Very nice story. I really enjoyed it.
thumbsup
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Sara, a cute, interesting story.
Do you know what really would have been cool. If you had made this a TOGoM story. That would have been really... (What? It is a TOGoM story?). Nevermind.

Nice twist.

But you've gone against the new tradition I tried to start. Instead of all these stories being written for someone when it's their birthday, it's supposed to be the other way around. If it's Wendy's birthday coming up, then WENDY should be writing a story for the rest of us. It's much easier to keep track of things that way.

Anyway, it was a nice, original take on the most utilized premise in Lois and Clark ficdom.

Tank (who thinks Wendy should write a story for the gentle readers for her birthday anyway)

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Sara,

This was so beautiful, so poignent, so wonderful, so . . . I am running out of adjectives! I love it -- and I usually don't like stories like that. It left me absolutely speechless!

This is going straight to my Kerth list!

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Columnist
Columnist
Very nice! Just beautiful.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow, Sara. clap

Wendy, February 18th? Cool -- that's my oldest's birthday too. smile

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow Sara! Wonderfully original and poignant. Feeling all teary-eyed now! mecry

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/me comes into the channel, bottom lip wobbly.

whinging

whinging

whinging

Can't think of anything coherent to say. Except, my Kerth folder for next year is bulging already.

How nice too to see something from the pov of a lesser touched upon character.

Beautiful, Sara.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Unexpected... wink

ToGoM from Perry's eyes smile

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Top Banana
Top Banana
So *that's* what you've been witholding from me! It's beautiful, Sara. Sweet and yet poignant. mecry And original too! Well done, sis! smile

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice job Sara. It was heart wrenching. Happy Birthday Wendy! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a lovely, poignant story.

Yet, as a tiny detail, I disagree with this:

It's that fighting spirit, that mulish stubbornness that moulded and shaped her into such a brilliant reporter.

It's that refusal to give in that got her partner killed.
Lois did many foolhardy things in order to get a scoop, but she didn't cause Clark's *death*. A ganster puller a trigger and Clark made a choice to protect her - as she did a few times try to save *him* despite dangers.

And Clark did love Lois's fighting spirit.

Perry is in grief, though, so it's natural that he blames somebody - Lois.

Gabriele
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautiful writing.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Appropriate choice of fic for the queen of TOGOM rewrites. smile

I absolutely loved this story. I love anything that makes me cry (i.e Titanic... blush ). You chose such a painful approach to it, so emotional. We rarely see that part of Perry ("Jimmy! Don't you ever, ever hug me again!"). I like that original POV, that's refreshing. And of course I absolutely love the wording, the emotion, the grief Perry shows. Sad... mecry

Happy Birthday, Wendy! party I hope you had the best day ever! (I'm not very good with timezones, but I'm guessing it's near the end anyway. smile )

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Sara

This is excellent. smile1

Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Wendy! party

Tricia cool

Merriwether
Merriwether
Sara, I'm just catching up with this story today. Fantastic ... really, really well done. smile

You did a great job of capturing Perry's thoughts and grief. It makes sense that he can't be there for Lois just yet (though we know that he pulls himself together in a little while to at least try). And he would definitely be grieving for his 'son'.

Excellent job. smile

And Happy Birthday, Wendy!

Kathy

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
smile1 I'm so glad you guys liked it! Will be on a high for a few weeks, now - thanks so much!

Sara jump

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Nah-ah - this is not happening. This story is not going into the old topics-section before this little bird gets to fly down, drop the fish, and say/squeak about how extremely and truly impressed I am!!

If I could write like this, I'd be the happiest bird of the entire sky, in every universe laugh

First of all, I just loved that you did this from Perry's point of view, and how you're able to just make the tiniest little thing - something that seems so useless in this situation - like coffee to be such a wake-up-call. Just through that little thing, through his thoughts about it, we get to learn a lot about his character, the situation. "Coffee...or no coffee.." <g>

This brilliance just continues throughout the whole story. You just have this extreme talent of creating so many emotions into this short little story, getting it so poignant and darn gripping to the point where I have to pinch my arm (err..wing) to see if it's really there, and then I have to read it again...and again..and again. <g>

Marvellous!! smile1

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful! smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow wow wow wow.

A new angle of TOGOM is amazing enough in itself, but such a powerful one!

Thanks for sharing this one.

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard