Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Hmmmm. It's like all the developments are happening off screen. Hey! That's not fair. Then how are we supposed to know what's going to happen next? That just makes it all suspenseful and stuff.

Hattie needs to work on her interpersonal skills. First, she's ordering Frank around and now having JJ getting her coffee. JJ seems not only smitten awfully quick, as does Hattie, he seems head over heels in love. Their first date seemed more like an evening of work instead of a "date" (I'm not counting the wedding), now she's teasing him about children and he isn't running for the hills? dizzy Most people allow their relationship to develop over time. Lois and Clark started off as partners, which grew into friendship, and then more (*FINALLY* Clark mutters in the background). Here, Hattie's telling her mom that she's dating her work partner after one not-really-a-date-date. If it goes south that's not going to do their work relationship any good. (I know you won't have their relationship go south, but still...)

Most people send flowers because they are pretty, not because the color symbolizes any certain sentiment. Pink roses from a suitor seems perfectly logical to me. Sure, red for love is well known, but not the other colors. Pink for "like" not "love", for "love-lite" makes sense to me. I always thought that scene in LnC where Lois destroys Clark's yellow roses and then complains he sent "yellow for friendship" was just plain rude. Not only does she destroy them (mistakenly), but then she insults Clark's gift. I've never heard of "pink means thank you" before so it makes sense that JJ hasn't either.

Not only did Hattie insult JJ for that, then she goes on to tell him he's uneducated because he doesn't know who Ike Clayton is. I don't know who he is either. I've heard of the "OK Corral" movie, but I haven't seen it. So, I feel just as insulted by Hattie as JJ should. Just because someone doesn't know certain trivial items from history that she knows, doesn't mean they are uneducated or that their school isn't up to par.

Hattie shouldn't be so rude, or there won't be a "third" date with JJ, let alone a new partner. Insulting your work partner is bad enough, but insulting your dating partner is another thing altogether. I wish JJ would stick up for himself a bit more. Hattie needs someone strong enough not to be a doormat around her, or he'll end up being insulted by her for life... not exactly a happily ever after for JJ. Right now, I'm not seeing what JJ is attracted to, and Hattie's losing points fast.

I'm glad Hattie finally got rid of that business card and used safety gloves to do so. She's finally using her head for more than headaches.
I have to say that I have never heard of Ike Clayton either. I really thought Hattie was over-reacting about that.

Actually, historically all roses were pink. It is a fairly recent innovation to have other colors. It actually seemed a bit demanding of Hattie to say "send red roses", that is often seen as a major sign, not something you demand of a guy.

I never got the impression that Lois insulted Clark for having sent her yellow roses. I thought it was just that she was convinced they were from the prankster, and I thought she seemed really contrite about wrecking them after she realized they were from Clark. I never got the impression she was made that he sent yellow and not red. I mean a few episodes later she stalls on responding to a date request, so sending red roses might have been a bit much. OK, probably he could have gotten away with sending her red roses at the end of The Fall of the House of Luthor, especially if he had not claimed that he had lied, but he didn't know that, so I see why he did, and I didn't get Lois was mad about it, just that she thought they were from the Prankster.

John Pack Lambert