Missing Lois - TOC

A taste of Chapter 7, Part 5...

Kal’s Lucy held on to Clark’s hand. “I’m OK. I’m okay. I’m OK,” she repeated, squeezing his hand tighter and tighter and tighter. She released a breath, relaxing against his shoulder. They sat next to each other in her bed.

“How’s the baby’s heart rate?” Sam asked from the doorway.

Clark lifted his hand from her exposed belly. “Sorry, I forgot to count. I was trying to calm her.” He wasn’t talking about the mother.

“Is she scared?” Lois asked, worried.

“Birth is life’s first adventure, sweetie,” Sam replied. “We all live through it and never remember it. Thank God.”

“She’s happy I’m here with you. She doesn’t want you to be alone.”

Sam threw up his hands at the slight. “Next contraction, time it and count heart beats, please.” He tossed Clark the stopwatch. “I’m going to go lie down. Call me with any major changes.”

They were alone for the first time in weeks, since his Lois had revealed she was Ultra Woman. “I’m sorry I’m late.” Clark kissed her cheek. “When did the contractions start?”

“Last night sometime. I haven’t gotten any sleep really.”

“Oh, Lois, I’m sorry.” He snuggled up against her. “Try to get some now, before the contractions get too close together. Sam said you still have a while to go.”

Lois sneered. “James was right. I am dreadfully unprepared. This isn’t something you can learn in a book. The pain has gone from discomfort to cramping to shooting to agony and I still have the worst to go.”

Clark kissed her head again. “I won’t leave you. Promise.”

“Even for nuclear war?” she asked, hopefully.

“Why? Have you heard something?” He grinned, knowing she was only joking. “Ultra Woman can handle anything that comes up,” he told her, hoping nothing came up. “This was why you came here, so you wouldn’t have to go through this alone.”
Please post feedback here. Thank you.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 02/08/15 08:36 PM. Reason: Fix Broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.