Missing Lois - TOC

A taste of Chapter 7, Part 3...

Clark turned to Lois as they arrived at the Mayor’s house that evening. “I should have brought Lucy. He’s expecting her.”

Lois raised a brow. “I am Lucy now, Clark.”

“Yes, but he’ll know that you’re not her.”

“I know I failed miserably with Mayson, but I’ve learned tons about this persona since then. I can do this.”

Clark shrugged. “Oh, well. Maybe, it’s best he knows that you’re alive as he’s one of your best friends.”

“Ye of little faith.” Lois shook her head.

“Ye forgetful of Perry’s powers of perception,” Clark reminded her as the door opened. One of Perry’s assistants led them to his office.

They sat in his home office for roughly two minutes before Perry arrived. He dismissed his assistant and shut the door firmly behind him. Then the mayor turned to them with a big smile. “Clark! Lucy!” He greeted them each with a hug and then he went to the stereo in the corner and turned on Elvis.

Perry didn’t hug people and he despised people who hugged as a greeting. Clark shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Great. Elvis, too. What was the Mayor up to?

“Rough week. Rough week.” Perry sighed, heading over to his rollaway bar and pouring three Scotches. He handed one to Clark, offered one to Lois, but when she turned him down, he took the other two to his desk.

“Clark, did I ever tell you why I hired you at the Daily Planet?”

“For my writing skills, I hope,” Clark replied, wondering at this segue.

“Yes, of course.” Perry wiped his words from the air. “I worded that poorly. Do you know why I gave you a chance to prove your reporting skills?”

“My writing samples?”

“The Borneo tree frog? Ah. No, Clark. Because someone gave you a reference.”
Please post feedback here. Thank you.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 02/08/15 08:30 PM. Reason: Fix Broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.