Lois had watched with the world as Clark announced that he would not be a father any time soon. Apparently Lana Lang had not been pregnant at all. While Lois was sorry to hear of the woman's misfortune, she was incredibly relieved that a certain super man had not created life with his ex. For a brief moment she was ashamed of herself. But she just couldn't help how she felt.
I feel the same way. If Lana had had a baby with Clark, then that baby as well as Lana herself would always have come between Lois and Clark. I can see that it might have been interesting to examine what might have happened if Lois and Clark had been married while Clark had had to see Lana regularly to keep in contact with his child. That would have put a strain on his marriage to Lois, no doubt. Yes, it might have been interesting to explore such a situation, but personally I'm very glad that you didn't walk down that road, Squid. I didn't want Clark to have a baby with Lana, that's all I can say.

And poor Lois and Clark both want to see each other, and they nobly refrain from contacting each other for the other person's sake... oh, what a tangled web we weave!

And Clark called his book "My Inspiration", eh? And that's why you chose that title of your fic? Talk about being given proof that a guy loves you! 'To Lois with the deepest meaning' - well, since their love had become public knowledge anyway, Clark might as well tell the public how much he really loves Lois. Fascinating, though - it is as if the entire general public were some sort of messenger delivering Clark's love letters to Lois! And if the general public deliver Clark's love letters to Lois, then Lucy Lane sends Lois's love back to Clark:
"I didn't realize what she meant to you until I read your book. And I sure as hell never imagined you meant so much to her.
She loves you, Clark! clap

Ann