lark sat up straight in his chair, shaking. He closed his eyes tightly, trying to pretend he was still sleeping. It was all just a dream, that’s all it was, he told himself. He knew, though, that it did not matter what he told himself. It was not just a dream. It had happened, but if he could keep himself from remembering what came after, maybe he could ease the burning feeling in his chest.
Interesting flashback. This Clark almost blew the secret in his youth.

But the burning in his chest. Hmm, was he exposed to Kryptonite in his youth?
“He wasn’t out there. He must be over at the Irigs,” he told his mother.

She nodded, wrapping the plate in plastic wrap to keep until Jonathan came back.
Maybe he ran the sandwiches over to his father and had a slight exposure? Combine he guilt and worry with real pain and weakness and you have the basic building blocks of aversion therapy

“Mrs. McMurty?” Clark asked the woman holding the clipboard.

“Clark Kent? What are you doing here? I heard you had a spiffy new job writing for the Daily Planet in Metropolis.”
jawdrop
This is NOT Carol Sherman! This is a Smallville LOCAL!

If the Kyptonite was found and dealt with in this Clark's youth there would be nothing for Bureau 39 to be investigating.
“Nothing all that exciting, Clark. Wayne used a lot of pesticides during the sixties and we’re concerned about seepage into the local ground water. No big story, I’m afraid,” Alice smiled at them kindly.

Clark looked at her quizzically. “I didn’t think Mr. Irig used any pesticides.”

“Not since you were born, but before that he did.”
This makes sense as Silent Spring wasn't published till 1962. So there would have been no reason for Wayne to have been concerned and avoided the use of pesticides.

Framework4