I loved the description of how Lois and Clark reacted to one another. They are beginning to get embarrassed around one another, because now there is more than simple friendship and sympathy between them. And for Lois's sake, Calrk wouldn't mind staying in this world.

This was moving:

Yet there was something about the suit that called to another part of him, a part that he'd suppressed long ago. He'd grown up reading the comics, and Superman had been one of his early models for what it meant to be a hero. Superman had helped people and had done what was right even when it wasn't easy. He'd had a code.

Helping people and having a code of honor had brought him into the marines and later into national security. It had shaped his life; the thought of giving his life for his country wasn't something he looked forward to, but it was something he was willing to do.

It had been disappointing to learn that some of his superiors let pragmatism supplant that idealism. Others, especially the civilian leadership appeared never to have had any honor at all.

Yet it didn't change the value of the ideal. No country ever lived completely up to its ideals, because human beings were flawed. They made mistakes and sometimes allowed emotion to override judgment. Sometimes people were corrupt.

The man on the chair wasn't a human being. He was something else, and by all reports he was working to represent that dream. As dangerous as this man was, he had a chance to make more of a difference than anyone.

He'd set the highest standard for himself when he donned that costume, and the agent hoped that he didn't stumble and prove to be as corrupt as most men with power became.

A fictional Superman had made him aspire to be a better person when he was a child. How much more influential would the real thing be?

Heroes inspired people to be better. With the right inspiration, and enough people, it was possible to truly change the world.
Wonderfully written, and inspiring indeed.

However, I think that Mr Smith's plans for Clark are too lofty:

Mr. Smith continued. “The problem, as I see it is that you aren't seeing the full potential of your abilities.”

“What do you mean?”

“You say you are here to help, and so far you've been living up to that. Yet there are other ways to help people.”

“I have my hands full as it is,” Clark said. He was suddenly reminded that there were tens of thousands of people in China who still needed help. “I really shouldn't be here at all…”

He rose suddenly.

“How would you like to be able to feed two million people in Africa, steer hurricanes away from populated area and cut the source of human disease in half?”

Clark sank back into his chair.

“I'm listening.”
Oh no!!!!

Superman is Superman. He isn't a deity. He isn't, and shouldn't be, almighty, or pretty much almighty.

Say no, Clark!

And welcome back with a new part soon, Shayne!

Ann