There's a very different feeling to this segment. It is less introspective and more others-driven.

"Search that memory of yours. How many people did you save?"

"Twelve," he finally said.

"Men? Women? Children?"

"Three men, five women, one pregnant woman and three children."
Ahem, Clark saved 13. 3+5+2+3=13

Your Clark is doing the same thing that Veritas Clark is doing: he's working so long and hard for so many days that he can't think straight. At some point the body shuts down.

My youngest was almost two before she slept for five hours in a row at night. I know what exhaustion can do to a person. Mistakes happen that wouldn't normally happen. Details are missed (like the car in the rear view mirror who double-parked at McDonalds) or forgotten (like where we're going for Christmas).

Alcoholics say that a person is most vulnerable when they are hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Clark probably meets three out of four of those criteria. I have found that when I am physically exhausted I often become angry with no idea of why I'm angry, so perhaps Clark meets all four.

It's also possible that Clark has reached such a fuzzy place that he doesn't know that he is awake. As far as he is concerned the Lois he knows would never take his pants off. Besides, he just told Perry that it wouldn't be so bad if things did get carried away sometime.

Nevertheless, I don't want Clark's impulisivity to mask some of the poignant moments that came before. Lois faced some of her demons and won. She was able to give of herself for the greater good. She was also able to tell what was bothering Clark--personally I just thought he was distracted by those that had died, not pining for the living that he still could save. Lois knows him well enough to know precisely what was on his mind.

A very well-balanced part.

Elisabeth