I don't have a lot of time to do your story justice, Angelic, but I must say a few things, nevertheless. The first thing is that anyone who doesn't feel sorry for Mayson in this chapter must have a heart of stone!

Mayson looked too small, too frail lying there. There were too many monitors, too many needles sticking into her skin. She was too pale, washed out against the white sheets and cotton blanket.

An angry red mark marred one swollen cheek. Clark knew the bruise forming there would turn dark purple in a matter of hours. Splotches of dried blood clung to her temple, and Clark could see flecks in her blond hair. Her lower lip was split and puffy. He could see raw patches and the beginnings of bruising on her throat, and her left arm was encased in a cast. The oxygen tube in her nose kept her breathing deep and even.

Clark was paralyzed by helplessness.

This is your fault.

He was the strongest man in the world, and he hadn't managed to prevent this.

A cold band of pure panic clamped around his chest. He couldn't seem to take a deep breath.

Your fault.

Clark clenched his jaw. He leaned down and gently brushed away a strand of hair from her scraped forehead.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, his gaze riveted on her closed eyelids. "I'm sorry I wasn't there. But when I find who did this to you ... " Clark trailed off, lost in thought. They'd pay, no matter what. He'd make sure of that - as a journalist and as Superman.
This is heartbreaking. The description of Mayson, her frailty, her vulnerability. And then Clark, with his enormous need to protect the helpless ones. The fact that someone as physically small and defenseless as Mayson was attacked so cruelly is terrible, and it's very easy to identify with Clark's horror and self-disgust at failing to prevent the attack.

Poor Clark. And poor Mayson.

How ironic, somehow, that Clark had been so worried about Lois that he'd caused a severe strain in their relationship, while at the same time he had forgotten about the dangers that threatened Mayson. How badly he must blame himself.

As for Lois, I wasn't too fond of her in the beginning of this chapter. I'm sure she wasn't out of character or anything, but - sigh - I just don't like her too much when she is that impossibly stubborn and childish. I'm glad she came around at the end of this chapter.

Thew saddest thing of all, though, may be that Mayson later died in a car accident - or was she actually murdered? - not all that long after this incident. At least, she sure died prematurely in the LnC TV show. I'm left with the image of all the medical machinery sticking into her body in that hospital scene. How hard they fought to save her life. And then, just a few years later, she was dead anyway. At least in the TV show.

The twists and ironies of life. Well, this is a sad, beautiful and sad chapter, Angelic.

Ann