I know that the number of responses here are too few to form a statistically reliable sample, so how pervasive are sexist attitudes in the States? Here in Canada, they're still an issue - is it the same in the US?
I don't think there's a way to say "yes" or "no" to that.

It's a big country, with a lot of cultures, sub-cultures, sub-sub-cultures, etc.

I live in a very liberal area, not too far from NYC. In New York, in general, sexism is considered very backwards. At best. But, quietly, there are still glass ceilings and lower wages and sexist individuals. Less and less, I think, but they're still there.

More to the point, there are communities within New York. There's a little bit of everything in NYC, and it's all packed so tightly together that, in most places, if you walk a few blocks, you'll find yourself in a whole other neighborhood.

I know of at least three different Jewish subcultures with strong communities in the city which hold to the idea that a woman's place is at home, raising mobs of children.

And within those communities, you'll find varying degrees of commitment to that idea.

I'm sure the same is more or less true anywhere else. In some areas of the country, you'll find sexism to be the norm. But within those areas, you'll find exceptions. Pockets where it isn't. Individuals defying the norm. Etc etc.

We're a country of immigrants. Except for the people whose families have been here for thousands of years. There isn't very much you can say about us that fits everyone.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.