Though, IIRC, homeschoolers are subject to standardized testing
Not in all states. We've been homeschooling for eight years and my children have never had to test. Testing, just for the record, does not benefit the children. State testing is just that- for the state. Scores determine funding, not whether or not a child is 'dumb as a box of rocks'. The only tests that truly matter to the child is college entrance tests such as SAT or ACT. Incidentally, the states that do require homeschoolers to test are doing so to either keep drawing funds for them or to monitor them. In my opinion that's too much government interference. Don't get me wrong. Some people were not cut out to educate their own children. But I also believe the government wasn't either. Two years ago, the high school in our district graduated 18 students who could not read past a third grade level! My 13 year old seventh grade nephew can't read as well as my 8 year old homeschooler. Nephew goes to public school. Son's never been. Nephew's also taken a test every year that states he's reading above average in his age group! cat So, homeschool does have its highlights.

SQD(who hopes ML doesn't go with homeschooling and bash the choice quite a few of us have made)