Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Lois & Clark Fanfic
Re: FDK Found (1/16?) AmyPrime 05/19/24 11:45 AM
I really felt Martha's distress reading this. I'm with her; I wouldn't let him go either!
6 248 Read More
Lois & Clark Fanfic
Re: FDK: Flight to Remember Darth Michael 05/19/24 09:26 AM
Hi Amanda!
are we getting any more Kerth challenges this year?
No, but if someone posts a challenge and you respond, it will be eligible for the Best Challenge Response Kerth wink

This story is set toward the end of Lois’ junior year in high school, with Clark completing his senior year, ages 17 and 18, respectively. Not going to give away anymore in the note. Hope you enjoy!
Well, this sounds like Clark’s first flight. Hmm… no not Clark’s first flight although we might get to see him taking Lois to the skies once he feels confident he won’t drop her when she snuggles her lithe body against him.

“I’m not going.”

Clark held the phone between his ear and his shoulder as he finished hanging his laundry in the closet. “Come on, Lois,” he said. “It’s your Junior Prom. You –”
Ooooh, bad memories?

“Exactly,” Lois’ voice cut in. “It’s my Junior Prom. There’s another one next year. I’ll go then.”
laugh

“I don’t have a date,” Lois said flippantly.
Oh, did her Smallville boyfriend forget to ask her out?

“You could have had a date,” Clark argued. “You told me no less than three guys asked you.”
Yes, but none she met while square dancing.

You could have specified that you were only going as friends.
He does realize he’s talking about teenage boys, right? Only interested in one thing but scared senseless of the girl at the same time.

I took Rachael. No one assumed we were more than friends.”
Her father owns a gun and is in charge of deciding who to arrest as a criminal.

They act all cool about it until they get you alone in the hall outside the bathrooms and then they try to convince you to head upstairs to a room their older cousin, Barty, reserved for them for the night.”
Yes, but if she does say yes, it will likely be over before the boy gets the door open.

Clark blinked at the oddly specific example. “… I take it this has happened to you before.”
evil

“Mark got a swift kick to the groin and I caught a taxi home. Hardly the Night to Remember they advertised.”
I’m sure he remembered it.
HENDERSON: That’s funny. Normally they seal juvenile records, but it looks like this Lane woman has such a record that they decided to make it part of her adult record. Then again, I don’t think that particular piece of work really should have fathered children anyway.

You aren’t going with Mark.”

“I’m not going at all.”
Yes, this time the boy she’s going won’t try anything with her.
LOIS: Hence my staying home.

Do your make-up and your hair and whatever else you would normally do to get ready.
CAT: Shave above the knee.

Then… look at yourself in the mirror and if you still really don’t want to go, then don’t.”

He could almost see her rolling her eyes as she paused before answering him. “That’s just silly, Clark. I already know I don’t want to go.”
He might appear behind her in the mirror, all tuxxed up.

He needed to figure out a way to trigger it.
He needs to find his happy thought!
CLARK: Lois, getting dressed!

And then gravity worked the way it always did and he began to plummet back towards the Earth.
devil

. I’ll have to fill those in later, he thought as he continued soaring upwards.
UFO leaving craters and crop circles.

He ought to have hit the ground again by now.
See above mention of Lois.

Just how long did girls take to do their hair and make-up anyway?
He could get dinner in Paris…

I thought the prom was last weekend?”
Uuuu… East Coast...

“Lois?” his mom blinked, clearly confused. “She’s in Metropolis, honey. How are you going to get there?”
He’s an alien. He’ll manage.

“I’ll fly, of course.”
Duh!

Getting ready for a dance she wasn’t even planning to attend was not anywhere near as simple as Clark had made it out to be.
She’s cute how she’s trying to not get into it and then, she’s fully into it!

She heard the doorbell ring downstairs and vaguely wondered who it might be. Not for her certainly.
A delivery from Wine Rack?

he was going to receive more than Mark Milton got away with.
How can you get more than that?

How? Did you…?
He flew private.

“I made it happen.”
There’s now a wanted poster with the FBI for air piracy.

“What do you say, Miss Lane? Will you accompany me to the prom?”

Lois couldn’t stop her blush as she nodded. “I’d love to.”
Awwwwwwwwww

Another very fine entry. The dresscription was great. Learned a new word (“tea-length”) clap

wave Michael
8 364 Read More
Lois & Clark Fanfic
Re: FDK: Love, Houdini Darth Michael 05/19/24 09:22 AM
Hi Barbara!
So great to see another dog and pony show!
LOIS: Linda’s going to show up, too?
“No, I’m afraid, you can’t come with me.” Clark scratched Houdini’s ear sympathetically, before he focused back on the mirror and straightened his tie.
Don’t think it’s the wedding. And they’re already dating. Maybe restaurant with a proposal? Let’s hope they won’t repeat American Pie 3.

And yet, Clark was also looking forward to showing Lois his favorite restaurant in Paris.
Ah, Paris, city of lights. City of romance. City where Claude moved to after he left Metropolis.

His gaze drifted toward the little box with the engagement ring that was sitting on his nightstand.
Sorry about guessing it!

To propose or not to propose – that was the question.
What’s the worst that could happen?
LOIS: 🐸

A moment later Houdini appeared in the doorway, tail wagging and carrying – a leash?

Clark blinked.
laugh

Houdini put down the usually offending item before Clark’s feet and looked at him with puppy dog eyes, tail still wagging. He gave a hopeful bark.
Lois better watch out. Otherwise she might stop investigating on her own soon.

Gosh, this really means a lot to you, huh?
Poor dear understands the box, doesn’t he?

The dog stopped wagging his tail, his ears drooping. Then Houdini lay down, giving one last, heart-wrenching wail and lowered his head onto his paws.
You’re really trying for another Best Original Character Kerth, aren’t you?

What if he was reading her wrong?
LOIS: Me stopping at every jewelry store window, leaving newspapers open on the wedding dress ads page, and telling Clark that our wedding night will be very special don’t suffice as cues? Does he need an engraved invitation or something?

The flight back would be pretty awkward if she told him no.
He could pack her passport and buy a one way plane ticket.

And romantic though Paris may be – it might be a bit unfair to ask her so far from home when she can’t get away on her own for some time to think.”
At least he’s not putting them over an active volcano. Those calderas can be romantic to behold.

But apparently the people still loved his magic so much that he could easily raise large sums for charity.
Awwww

“See you later, pal. There’s food in your bowl and I’m sure Lois would like to say hello to you, before I walk her home after dinner.”
With the box sitting at home, does this mean Houdini will propose?

Her slender frame was a perfect fit, delicate and intoxicating. Clark didn’t want the night to be over. He wanted for this magic to last a while longer.
Yes, no talking about intimacy. Right…

She grabbed his tie and pulled him with her, all the way up to his apartment.
Ooooh, I can’t remember ever reading this before clap

. A dam had broken and the flood of desire washed away any lingering doubts.
No more not-talking about intimacy, huh?

. All he was aware of was Lois, how sweet she smelled, how good she tasted and how much he longed to explore every inch of her skin.
lovetvfan’s challenge was a good thing. Now sizzling transferred to the doggie verse clap

Before too long, Clark’s hands fumbled with the keys, somehow managing to open the door despite the massive distraction Lois provided.
laugh guess we should be grateful he didn’t burst through the door?

But as soon as they’d reached the bottom safely, they were all over each other again.
HOUDINI: Bark. Bark Bark! (Why I wanted to get out of this place for the evening)

Then, suddenly, his legs hit something. Clark tried to stop, but Lois pushed him on. His brain foggy with desire, he lost his balance and fell. Houdini whimpered and jumped out of their way. Just in time Clark realized what was happening and caught himself before crashing to the floor.
Hey! No stepping on the dog!

“Sorry, pal, I didn’t notice you were standing there,” Clark murmured.
He wouldn’t have noticed Nightfall.

“Hey, what are you carrying between your teeth?”
The engagement box.

“What’s that?” The excitement in Lois’ voice betrayed that she had a fair idea what the box contained.
Boy would she be surprised if it didn’t contain a solitaire.

Houdini barked.

Clark blushed. “Seems like he thinks this is the right moment to ask.”
Clark’s already on his knees…

Lois laughed. “Or he’s trying to protect my virtue.”
shock rotflol

But words still failed him.

“You know I’m going to say yes, don’t you?” she asked.
rotflol rotflol

He nodded. Tears filled his eyes. He’d been hoping she would.

His voice cracked. “Lois Lane, will you marry me?”

“Yes!” she squealed
Oh, so much WAFF clap

She flung her arms around him, kissing him like he wasn’t sure she’d ever kissed him before. And he knew without a shadow of doubt that she was the true magic in his life.
We had this melting graemlin once…

What a wonderful viggy!

wave Michael
7 344 Read More
Fanfic Related
Re: In Memoriam: Julie Mack 😢 Songbird 05/19/24 06:53 AM
Cancer is awful. I’m very sad to hear this news. My deepest condolences to her family and friends. I haven’t read her fics yet, but I’ll have to check
them out. Thanks Annette and Sara for letting us know. I hope they find a cure for cancer very soon.
1 410 Read More
Fanfic Related
Re: June Newsletter Poll Songbird 05/19/24 06:45 AM
CarrieRene, I love this idea! The newsletter has been a fun addition to the fandom. Thank you very much!
3 90 Read More
Lois & Clark Fanfic
Re: FDK: Falling For a Farm Boy (1/16) AmandaK 05/19/24 12:37 AM
As others have said - I have so many questions and I look forward to finding out the answers. Love your stories. The ending there was so sweet.
6 220 Read More
Lois & Clark Fanfic
Falling For a Farm Boy (1/16) Female Hawk 05/18/24 11:30 AM
Falling For a Farm Boy

Chapter 1

The tears Lois Lane had been fighting for over an hour welled up her throat in a knotty lump of pain and disillusionment. She pulled onto the grassy bank and cut her engine. As she slumped against the back of the seat, her restraint dissolved, and anguished sobs racked her body.

Five minutes later, the storm began to wane. Lois dragged her sleeve across her damp cheek and hauled in a quivery breath.

There was a new emotion mingling with her wretchedness now – exasperation at her own weakness. Crying never achieved anything. All her tears hadn’t changed a single detail of the triple disaster that had destroyed her life. And worse, her head felt like a bomb had detonated behind her swollen, sandpapered eyes.

Lois glanced through the windows of her car, noticing her surroundings for the first time. The fields were green-brown, glistening in the early fall sunshine and separated by networks of wire fences. She wound down the window, and the breeze whispered against her hot cheeks. After lowering the window to fully open, she settled back into her seat and closed her eyes.

Her tears had slowed to a trickle, creating a vacuum inside, and leaving her without protection against the gushing flood of despair.

Why was she here?

What was she trying to achieve?

Truthfully, she wasn’t sure. And even if it had been possible to put her plan into coherent words, she knew it was so fundamentally flawed there was very little chance of it amounting to anything significant.

She’d left Metropolis that morning, the day after her world had shattered. She’d flown to Wichita, rented a car, and here she was.

Why?

She had no valid answer.

Somewhere, deep inside, she felt a gnawing ache for… something. It had been there a long time. It had been easier to ignore in the days when chasing her dreams and building her career had left her too tired to think of anything beyond the next story.

And then, for a few short weeks, her life had seemed perfect. It had been a flimsy shell with no real substance, and deep, deep down, she’d known it did nothing to fill the void.

But it had been easy to pretend. Too easy.

Until the shell had crumbled, powerless to withstand the onslaught of revelations - three of them, one after the other. She hadn’t been able to resist the impulse to run away. Flying to Kansas had served as a convenient escape.

What did she want? Really? What was she actually seeking? Her mission – the foolhardy longshot that had sent her scurrying halfway across the nation – was of scant importance. Indeed, its main attraction was the near certainty that it would fail.

“Are you OK, Miss?”

Lois startled at the quiet voice and turned to find a man standing a metre from her window and leaning down to peer into her car.

He was about her age, his dark hair was neatly trimmed, he wore glasses, and his clothes instantly announced him as a farmer.

“Yes,” she said hurriedly, hoping he would go away. “Everything is fine.”

“Engine trouble?”

“No. No, I just needed to stop for a few minutes.”

He squatted, placing his forearms on her window. He was clean-shaven. His hands were a little dusty, but that didn’t mar their strength and masculinity. His arms rippled with taut muscle, right up to his biceps, peeking out from under the short sleeves of his well-worn shirt. “Are you lost?” he asked.

Yes, she was. Hopelessly. But not in the way he meant. “No.”

“How can I help?”

The question carried such unexpected empathy that her throat constricted, and the traitorous tears threatened again. She grabbed her bag and searched through it frantically.

“Here,” the man said, offering her a clean, folded, ironed handkerchief, white, with the letters ‘CK’ embroidered in blue on the corner.

Lois gave up on her bag and accepted his offering as she muttered, “Thanks.”

She dried her eyes and wiped her nose, realising with some surprise how little she cared that she must look like a snivelling blob who lacked sufficient composure to articulate her circumstances.

Trying to summon a shadow of the real Lois Lane from the debris, she resolved to get away from here as quickly as possible. She turned back to the yokel, words of dismissal forming, and discovered he was watching her with unmistakable concern on his rather good-looking face.

“You look like you need a break,” he said. “Tea? Coffee maybe? Something cold?”

“No,” she said quickly. “No. I just needed a few minutes. I’m OK now.”

He looked unconvinced. “Where are you headed? Do you have far to go?”

“No. Not much further.”

He paused, seemingly unsure about what to do with the stranger who was stranded on a road that probably rarely saw strangers. “See that house on the hill?” he said, extending his arm behind him to point across the road.

She lowered her head and glanced towards a pretty house behind a flowerful garden. “Yes.”

“That’s our farmhouse,” he said. “My mother’s kitchen is behind the left window. She will have seen you stop here. If I don’t take you in for a drink and something to eat, she is going to be really annoyed with me. I’m surprised she isn’t already charging down the hill to find out what is taking so long.”

Lois turned from the house to the farmer. His brown eyes were soft, and she thought she detected the slightest twinkle through the earnestness. She felt an answering smile begin but controlled it quickly. “No. Thank you,” she said, hoping her clipped tone crushed any possibility of extending this chance meeting. She held the handkerchief – no longer pristine white and pressed – towards him.

He took it, somewhat bashfully, and then said, “CK. My mom makes them for me. I’m Clark. Clark Kent.” He brushed his right hand on his shirt and held it towards her.

Lois shook his hand but didn’t bother to offer her name. His skin was warm, his grip firm. Again, she was struck by the strength implicit in the size and shape of his hand. Yet he had enclosed her hand with exquisite gentleness.

“I wish you’d tell me how I can help,” he said. “I hate letting you go when you’re obviously dealing with some difficulties.”

“How do you know that?” Lois demanded, telling herself that if he so much as alluded to her unsightly appearance, she would drive away without another word.

He didn’t flinch. “You’re in a rental car,” he said. “It has a Wichita Airport sticker. Therefore, you’re not a local and you probably flew in from far away. There has to be a reason why you came. I’ve lived here all my life. Maybe I can help.”

Maybe he could. “Do you know if someone called Jack Mackenzie lives near here?”

Clark’s smile faded in response to the name. “Jack?” he said. “Jack Mackenzie?”

“You know him?”

“He works here.”

“Here, as in Smallville?”

“No, here as in on our farm.”

“Jack Mackenzie is here?” Lois squeaked.

“Not now. He’s away. He said he’ll be back tomorrow around lunchtime.”

Tomorrow? So soon? She wasn’t ready. She wasn’t sure she’d ever be ready.

Lois scanned the fields, her eyes sweeping over the cute cottage, where, if Clark Kent was to be believed, his mother waited with ready refreshments. Jack Mackenzie had been here? In these fields? In that house?

If that were so, he had just become more than a name. He was a person. A real person with a real life.

Did she want to meet him? Was she ready to deal with the ramifications of thrusting herself into his life?

It would be easier to leave. To pretend she hadn’t been able to find him. To run away. Again.

“Miss?”

Clark’s hesitant prompt brought her back to the present. “Hm?”

“Did you come to Smallville looking for Jack?”

Had she? “Maybe,” she mumbled.

“Maybe you shouldn’t be driving,” he said. “How about you come up to the house and we have that drink? It’ll give you time to work out if you want to stay and see Jack tomorrow.”

“I’m fine,” Lois said, completely unsure as to whether she was fine or not. She hadn’t expected to find Jack Mackenzie. Not this easily. Not this soon. Not at all.

She turned to Clark, who was watching her with those deep brown eyes. He smiled, and she felt a little trickle of warmth drizzle through the ice layers capped over her heart.

“Do you want me to drive?” he asked.

Lois nodded. Not because she couldn’t drive. Not because she particularly wanted to accept his hospitality. Not because she could be coerced by soft brown eyes and a pleasant smile.

But because it postponed the need to make any other decisions.

Clark opened her door. Lois mechanically released her seatbelt, took his offered hand, and stood. She put her other hand on the car.

“Are you feeling all right?” he asked as his hand moved behind her back to land just below her waist, steadying her. “Not dizzy?”

Of course, she was all right. She started to walk around the back of the car, but she didn’t release his hand or push away his hold on her hip.

Clark helped her into the passenger side and then slid into the driver’s seat. “You’ll feel a lot better after a drink and some of Mom’s biscuits,” he said, glancing her way with a warm smile. “She serves them with jelly and cream.

“Thanks,” she murmured.

He backed up a little, turned into the gateway, and drove up the hill on the track that twisted through the fields. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I haven’t asked your name.”

She was too weary to examine the possible complications of giving her name and too drained to create an excuse for secrecy. “Lois,” she said. “Lois Lane.”

His eyebrows lifted in surprise. “You are a long way from home.”

“You know who I am?”

“I know Lois Lane is a reporter for The Daily Planet.”

“How do you know that?” she snapped.

“The local newsagency gets a few copies,” he said. “They come in twice a week.”

“You’ve read my work?”

“Yes.” He glanced sideways and smiled. “I’ve read a lot of Lois Lane’s stories and been amazed by the depth and quality of her writing.”

“Thanks,” she said without any real warmth.

“You are that Lois Lane, the brilliant reporter?”

She had tarnished that status – probably beyond repair – in the past few days, but she had no intention of going into that disaster with a Kansas farmer. “Yes,” she said, hoping he wouldn’t launch into an in-depth analysis of any of her stories.

He didn’t. He stopped the car next to the gate between the two sections of white picket fence. He didn’t get out of the car immediately, turning to her instead. “Why do you want to see Jack?”

The question had sounded casual, but one glance into those brown eyes told her he was uneasy about her enquiry. “Personal reasons,” she replied.

“He’s not in any trouble?”

What was it about Jack Mackenzie that made Clark think he might be in trouble? And what sort of trouble? Women? Money? Law? Drugs? “None that I’m aware of,” Lois answered truthfully.

Clark gave her a small smile and got out of the car, arriving at her door in remarkably quick time, opening it for her, and again offering his hand.

She took it. Not because she’d appreciated the warmth of his touch. But because it was easier than having to explain a refusal.

Once she was out of the car, he released her hand and shut the door. “This way,” he said, gesturing towards the gate.

The garden was vivid with flowers that boasted a rainbow of colours and gave the path a heady, sweet aroma as they walked towards the cottage. Clark opened the door and waited for her to precede him. With the lightest touch on her back, he directed her to the right and into a long room, filled with light from the sizeable windows at both ends. The opposite wall was dominated by an open fireplace. Ahead was the table, and to the left, the kitchen. A woman rose from where she’d been checking the oven and came forward with a warm smile.

“I was wondering when you’d get here,” she said. “Great timing. I’ve just taken out the biscuits.”

Clark shot Lois a ‘told you so’ look, and she couldn’t help the small smile that squeezed out from the haze of her misery.

“I’m Martha Kent,” the woman said. “It’s wonderful to meet you.”

“This is Lois,” Clark said.

“Lois,” Martha said. “What a lovely name. Welcome, honey. Please, sit down. What would you like to drink?”

Lois slipped into the nearest chair, one of several around the old, worn table that seemed to resonate with wholesome things like family and home and sincerity of welcome. Seeing a teapot, she said, “Tea, please.”

Clark walked past Lois and went to the sink to wash his hands.

“What brings you this way, Lois?” Martha asked as she took jelly and cream from the fridge. “Have you been travelling for long?”

Lois glanced at Clark to see if he was about to reply for her. He was drying his hands and looking at her. “I… I was looking for someone,” Lois said, “but now I’m not sure if I want to find him or not.”

Martha brought the teapot to the table. “Sometimes, those decisions can be difficult,” she said.

Lois nodded.

“I guess you need to look at the good things you had and the not-so-good and weigh it all up.”

Lois stared at Martha for a moment as her frazzled brain searched for meaning in the words. Then it became clear. Martha thought she had come searching for an ex-boyfriend. Lois opened her mouth, then snapped it shut, too tired to offer an explanation.

In less than an hour, she would be back in the rental car, driving to… driving somewhere and she would never see these people again.

Except if she did decide she wanted to meet Jack Mackenzie, that decision would lead right back to Clark and his mother.

Maybe she should say something…

What?

She couldn’t face even an abridged version of what had led to her sobbing wildly outside a farm gate in the emptiness of rural Kansas.

So, Lois said nothing, realising her silence would seem like confirmation of Martha’s hypothesis.

Clark sat down, and their eyes met. He smiled at her and pushed the plate closer. “Have one of Mom’s biscuits,” he said. “I can recommend them.”

Lois took one and put it on her plate, wanting not so much the biscuit but the chance to appear occupied. She reached for the container of jelly for the same reason.

“When did you last check on Bess?” Martha asked Clark.

“Half an hour ago,” Clark replied. “Still no sign of labour.”

Lois looked up from her biscuit and scanned the expressions of both Clark and his mother. Did Clark have a wife? His ring finger was bare. And why couldn’t Martha ask Bess herself?

With the three of them seated at the table, Clark poured from a brown teapot. Lois stared at her plate, realising she was hungry, but not sure her stomach was ready for food. She sipped from the tea. She hadn’t had anything since a coffee and doughnut on her way to the airport. That had been seven hours ago.

“Where are you from, Lois?” Martha asked pleasantly.

“Metropolis.”

“Did you fly into Wichita? Or drive all this way?”

“I flew. And got a rental car.”

“I’ve only been to Metropolis once,” Martha said. “It’s such a big city. So many people, all rushing around. Very different than here.”

“Very different,” Lois agreed with feeling.

“Do you like living there?” Clark asked.

Did she? She lived there because her work was there. She’d never considered alternatives. “It’s home,” she said. “I guess.” She looked out of the front window, seeing the fields and the trees and the road beyond them. “Do you like living here?”

Clark and his mother shared a look. “I have lived in this house for almost forty years,” Martha said. “Nowhere else could be home.”

Lois looked from Martha to Clark and awaited his answer.

“It’s home,” Clark said.

“But?” Lois persisted.

“There’s a big world out there.”

Would he move if he could? Would he take the opportunity to experience something different? Did he want to? If he did, what was holding him here?

“I’ve toyed with the idea of living somewhere else,” Clark admitted. “But then I think about all I’d be leaving behind and I can’t imagine anywhere else being good enough to beat it.”

Lois took another sip of her tea. She couldn’t eat the biscuit yet, but she could feel the tea calming her.

“When is your flight home, Lois?” Martha asked.

“I have an open booking,” she replied. “I didn’t know how long this would take.”

Martha nodded. “You look exhausted, honey. What are you plans for tonight? Do you have somewhere to stay?”

“I will get a hotel room. In Smallville… maybe.”

“There is one hotel in Smallville,” Martha conceded in a tone that didn’t leave room for any optimism. “But we’d love for you stay here, honey.”

“I couldn’t.”

“Of course, you could. I’ll cook supper. You can eat, have a bath if you want, and get an early night. Everything will look better in the morning.”

It sounded ridiculously tempting. Staying with these people was out of the question, obviously, but Lois was surprised by how close she was to agreeing to do exactly as Martha suggested.

“We’d like you to stay,” Clark said quietly.

“The spare room is all made up,” Martha said. “It’s quiet and cosy and just perfect for a restful night.”

“I couldn’t,” Lois repeated as the first twinges of panic began to stir inside her. It was becoming clear that Clark and his mother were not the sort of people to allow her to flee their home with no firm plan. Lois picked up a piece of her biscuit and took a bite. The jelly had juicy clumps of fruit and tasted wonderful.

She ate the rest of it while Martha and Clark talked about various things that Lois assumed had to do with the farm. She surmised that Clark had a lot to do and had been out working very early that morning. A feeling of guilt crept through her as she realised she had taken up so much of his time. It refired her intent to get out of their lives as quickly as possible.

Except… if she decided to meet Jack Mackenzie, it was unlikely she would be able to avoid another encounter with Clark and Martha.

Did she want to meet Jack Mackenzie?

It had been easy to decide she wanted to contact him when finding him had seemed unlikely in the extreme.

But now…

Lois glanced up at Clark, regretting she had told him she was looking for Jack Mackenzie. Would he tell Jack that a strange woman from Metropolis had come asking after him? Maybe if she asked Clark not to say anything…

Clark’s gaze swung from Martha to her, and Lois realised she had been staring. Their eyes met, and he smiled. “How are you feeling now?” he asked.

His concern seemed deeper than mere courtesy.

“Better, thanks,” she said automatically.

He smiled again and returned his attention to his mother.

Lois took another sip from her tea. The biscuit had given her a short spurt of energy, but now it felt as if a blanket of exhaustion was smothering her. She was so tired, and her mind – usually so nimble – was suffocating in thick fog.

She made a dogged attempt to examine her options. Perhaps that would make it easier to choose one of them.

If she left now, drove back to Wichita tonight, stayed in a hotel, and took the first flight back to Metropolis tomorrow morning, how would she feel next week?

Lois sighed quietly. She was not the sort of person who could let things go. She didn’t simply dismiss and move on. That attribute had helped her become such a successful reporter, but it was also something of a liability.

She couldn’t let this go. Jack Mackenzie could leave – move beyond her reach – at any time. Then, the decision would be taken out of her hands.

She had to act now. She had to find some answers to the horde of questions relentlessly tapping at her brain. Perhaps then she would find a measure of peace. Perhaps then she could go back to Metropolis and attempt to resurrect her career. Perhaps then…

She felt the table shift a little and sensed movement around her. Strong arms lifted her and held her against a broad body. She knew she should protest, but sleep lured her exhausted body and overloaded mind towards nothingness.

“It’s OK, Lois.” It was Clark’s voice, very close. “You’re tired. We’ll take you to the spare room where you can rest.”

Lois knew she should open her eyes. She should demand that he put her down and let her drive away.

But her final reserves of energy were gone. She snuggled closer into his chest and succumbed to the captivating lure of oblivion.
0 62 Read More