Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RL Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow, Meredith. Great start on a story. I must have missed it on Zoomway's board when you first posted it. You left all these people hanging on that ending for all this time? That was cruel. wink

"How could he? He always seemed so caring - so trustworthy! Yet he's been keeping this hidden all along?" By this time she had risen to her feet again, a militant light in her eyes. "Boy, when I get hold of him, is he ever gonna regret this...!"
Guess we'll have to find out just what this is all about.

When he'd finally taken his leave, his eyes had flickered briefly to her mouth, and for a dizzying second she'd thought he might kiss her. But if the idea had crossed his mind, he'd evidently thought better of it, because with no more than a friendly clasp of her shoulder and a soft "Merry Christmas", he'd turned and walked away down the hall.

Unfortunately for Lois, she'd been able to think of little else all night. In that brief second she'd realised how badly she wanted him to kiss her. She'd nearly called after him, but as usual, her nerve had failed her. She'd only ever mustered the courage once to tell Clark how she felt about him, and he'd slept through it... doing it again seemed twice as scary. And what if she was only imagining Clark's attraction towards her - projecting her own feelings onto him? She'd never recover from the embarrassment, and it might ruin their friendship for ever.
These two really have a unique talent for making assumptions about the other, not able to believe the other could possibly love him/her. But hey, I think that just makes their relationship that much more special when they did/do get together.
"Sure am!" She smiled warmly at him and, without thinking, blurted out, "I missed you."

His eyes flew to hers, and his coffee mug tilted dangerously for a moment. There was a breathless silence, while Lois berated herself internally; then, just as she'd decided to break the awkward pause by asking what they were meant to be working on, Clark put down his mug and reached out to lay a gentle hand on her arm. The startlement in his eyes had changed to pleasure, and something warmer... something that made Lois feel tingly all over, from head to toe. "I missed you, too," he said simply.
This was sweet. Too bad we didn't get to see this from Clark's POV.
Perry wants me in Europe, to report on Secretary Wallace's trade negotiations. Van Heerden broke his leg skiing over the weekend, and they can't find anyone to replace him at such short notice. I'm flying to Brussels this afternoon.
Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!! grumble

"I don't like flying," Clark said abruptly, cutting short her fanciful thoughts. Of course, he hadn't been thinking about her that way at all. The admission must have cost him something, though. Clark never went out of his way to appear macho, but from the whiteness of his knuckles and the glimpse she caught of the sheen on his forehead as she checked her mirror, this was no mild dislike. If she hadn't known better, she'd have thought he was terrified.
Something tells me this isn't quite what he was nervous about. At least, here's to hoping. :p
His lips brushed across hers, and for a moment she feared that he would pull away; then her eyes fluttered closed as his warm mouth covered hers, his lips pressing softly against hers for a blissful moment. Then he was straightening, his hand coming up to cup her cheek gently.

"Goodbye, Lois," he said, sounding as breathless as she felt. "I'll... I'll call you."

"Goodbye, Clark," she responded, wishing she could express her feelings instead of mouthing platitudes. "Travel safely." And come back to me quickly, she added, not quite getting up the nerve to say it aloud.
This part is just great. It's kind of heartbreaking that they both are left hanging, almost sure that the other cares for him/her romantically. Two weeks!?! There's always the telephone, but it's not quite the same. thumbsup

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I really loved this Lois introspection and the L&C scenes....and as for teasing cliffhanger at the beginning eek
More very soon please!!

HC wave

Features Writer
Features Writer
I've had little time for the boards lately, but was glad to come back today and see you reposting this, Meredith. I hope the next parts follow swiftly!

I love this, Clark almost spilling his coffee when Lois said she missed him, Lois putting her perfume on the pillow so that he wouldn't be thinking about blonde stewardesses, and, of course, the kiss. Just lovely...
She met his eyes, and saw that they had turned serious. The emotion there made her heart beat suddenly faster. "Thanks... for everything," he said huskily.

Ever so slowly, he bent towards her. His eyes flickered downwards, and Lois knew this time he was going to kiss her goodbye; but he was giving her the opportunity to turn her head slightly and present her cheek if she wanted to. Instead, she turned her face up to his and waited.

His lips brushed across hers, and for a moment she feared that he would pull away; then her eyes fluttered closed as his warm mouth covered hers, his lips pressing softly against hers for a blissful moment. Then he was straightening, his hand coming up to cup her cheek gently.

"Goodbye, Lois," he said, sounding as breathless as she felt. "I'll... I'll call you."
Obviously I'm as curious as everyone else to know just what Lois found in Clark's apartment. Unfortunately, it looks like she's temporarily forgotten some of these feelings of love that have washed over her in recent days...

And I do have a question. Since Clark had to give Lois his keys...If "Superman" had to drop by Clark's apartment while Clark was in Europe (to shower after a rescue, or pick up an extra Suit, for example), has it ever been established in fanfic that he leaves his balcony door unlocked, or would he have to break in? Just curious... smile

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Woohooo!!!! mecry This was such a beautifully waffy moment - one among many. But - bad Perry! <g>

I loved the flying conversation. Poor Clark though!

"My keys? You're going to water them?" It was his turn for incredulity. "But Lois, you and plants..." She turned a withering glare on him. "Lois, be reasonable! There's been a steady procession of plants over your desk in the year and a half I've known you, and not one of them has left alive!"
rotflol

Post part two soon - desperate once again to know just what Lois found under that ficus. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh yippee! I'd completely missed this story the first time around so I'm glad you reposted it here.

Club Smoochie commences! (AND there's a ficus tree!)
Keep it coming
Jen hyper

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for the repost, Meredith, now give us part 2!!!

This was really sweet, with Lois gradually admitting things to herself. They have such obscure conversations with each other! <g> "I'll water your plants" really means "kiss me!" etc. But it seems to be working for them, mostly...

And I'm certain that Lois is upset at Clark having killed the ficus, neglecting it as soon as he got it. Shame on him!

PJ wink

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, since I'm fairly new I never saw this originally, so thanks for reposting it. smile

This is great! Now... I hear there's a part 2...? dizzy rotflol

And come back to me quickly, she added, not quite getting up the nerve to say it aloud.
awwww, waffy!

MORE! pretty please?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Features Writer
Features Writer
Meredith,
glad you've finished this
thanks for the repost
now post the rest
merry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. smile1 Lets see the next part, where Lois kill the ficus. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Good opening instalment. You've given us a teaser of things to come, then went back and established the current 'relationship' and the thoughts of our beautiful, confused reporter.

3 parts? That means there's plenty of space for a couple of good whams before the end. Let's hope we get to see them soon.

I really like that this is from Lois' pov. We have way to much Clark pov on these boards. wink

Tank (who thinks that maybe there is even enough story for Lois to get a haircut too, after all, she will be bored while Clark is away, and just might want to surprise him)

A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Yeah Fact or Ficus!!! dance

I had given up on it. I'm so excited that you've finished!

Anna

Now you have to post the rest soon, cause even us lurkers are posting!! wink

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I remember when this was first posted and I was very into to the story and disappointed that the rest of it wasn't posted. I'm glad to see it back up and I can't wait for the next installments. Thanks for continuing.
thumbsup

Melisa

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Well, everyone's already quoted my favorite parts, so I'll just have to settle for saying my piece this time, and making sure I'm one of the first next time, so I can paste in all the parts I like best.

All I can say is...I'm REALLY glad I didn't read this the first time around. I remember when you posted it I was terribly busy and didn't have the time to read anything, but I actually made a note to myself to read it asap. And then you started struggling with the ending, and I decided just to leave it until you were finished. Thank god. Because if had read this, and then didn't get to read the rest of it for months...I think I might have died of frustration. <G>

It was really wonderful. The description of Lois waiting for Clark to enter the newsroom - and her realization of how smitten she was - made my heart lurch for her. I know exactly how she feels, and I can empathize with her nerves. And then, just when she's started to get things figured out, Perry sends Clark to the other side of the world! Their conversation was just precious. It was funny to hear her being indignant, but it was also really sweet because we knew what they were both thinking. And then the trip to the airport - Lois dragging things out as long as she possibly can. Poor Clark, scared of flying. And then the kiss...sigh. It's perfect. Or, rather, it would be if he wasn't getting on a plane and heading for a far off land minutes later. Of course, he could be back in Metropolis in the blink of an eye...but Lois doesn't know that. And he can't be there as Clark.

I can't wait to see what happens next. smile

Annie (who's off - finally - to bed, hoping for sweet ficus dreams <G>)

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for reposting, Meredith! smile1

I love this. Superbly written! dizzy
Please post the next part soon. wildguy

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay!! Mere's finally finished FoF! dance

It's still as wonderful as I remember it. There's only one thing missing right now, and that's part 2!!

It's about time for part 2! laugh

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
HUMPH!!!! You would think that since this was a refresher post, part two would have immedeately followed.

/me holds the comments hostage.

NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!! NAG!! POST!!

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
sorry, annette. you may be top woman on the boards totem pole, but even you can't hold a comments thread hostage.

mere, this was great. i read it the first time around, but my memory is fuzzy enough that it seemed new this time. laugh

you've done such a good job with this. sweet and waffy and romantic and all, but with those lovely little humorous details, like clark's taking the stairs. nice touch with him being afraid of the plane, too. oh, and good use of his language skills.

and this...

Superman water your plants?" She stared at him incredulously. She had a sudden mental image of the superhero walking solemnly around Clark's apartment with a little plastic watering can, but she suppressed the wild laughter that threatened to bubble out of her. "Clark, Superman has much better things to do. Come on, give me your keys."
poor clark, though. as if he wasn't going to be nuts enough sitting in a plane, now his super nose has to live with a constant subtle reminder of lois.

good to see the ficus, too. great title, btw. smile

looking forward to seeing the next part and playing "count the birthdays." smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
What Annette said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! evil

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey Meredith

It was a great part... thanks foe the repost...

Now where is part 2???

Waiting sad

Is it a bird?" "Is it a plane?" "No, it's just a guy in tights and a cape!"
Top Banana
Top Banana
As Another_Anna said,

Now you have to post the rest soon, cause even us lurkers are posting!!

I was going to type some comments, but I would have just ended up repeating everything Paul said. So I'll just say "ditto" to his post.

I would tell you to PLEASE post Part II, but Annette said it so much better, so "ditto" to her, too!

I like this story very much.

Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard