Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think? The $3 billion dollar wreck that was mentioned is a real thing, although in our world it wasn't found until 2012.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting Clark Kent, billionaire, but it makes a nice coda to his hard life. It's fun to see Clark getting Lex's goat, too!

A great epilogue to a great story!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting twist on canon. I, too, wasn't expecting Clark Kent, Billionaire and owner of the DP. For a second, there, I was worried he morphed into Lex's canon role.

I'm glad Clark's putting all his money towards helping the less fortunate, and I can see that it's not as easy as he expected. I'm a bit surprised that he decided that helping people financially was the way to go. Did he become obsessed with money because of not having any as an orphan, or was it a twist of fate that his first shipwreck fine was actually THAT good? It makes me wonder what he did after high school. What did he study? Urban redevelopment and growth? Strange that he would make his Clark Kent name so public, or was that Lois's doing? I can see why they kept their relationship secret. Interesting parallels between this Clark and canon Lex, especially here:

Lois reached out and took his hand. It probably would have been easier to accept him without all the fame and money. Someone like Clark tended to overshadow everyone around him.
Just like Lex, but so much more. I'm glad she got over these prejudices and was finally able to accept Clark for the man he became, probably because she knew true man under this facade.

Nice to see Clark figuratively stick it to Lex every chance he got. Did they ever connect Lex with the man who killed the Churches? I could see why Clark wasn't interested in getting into Journalism after his and Lois's first experience with it.

Sweet ending. Nice to know they got their happily ever after. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, that was unexpected, but a lot of fun! Loved Lois's nonchalant "Hi, Clark" when Perry was "introducing" him - way to give your boss a heart attack! Sad, though, that the incident with the Churches got them off on the wrong foot.

It was absolutely HILARIOUS to see Clark and Lex bickering at the Orchid ball. I'm rather surprised it's taking Lois and Clark this long to bring him down, but then, I guess Clark doesn't have the same desperation driving him this time. smile

Loved the "body double" bit, that's very clever of Clark.

And finally, yay engagement! I can understand why Lois resisted for a while, and hopefully she'll still manage to continue getting into sketchy places. One thing in her favor, I'm sure no one would be expecting Mrs. Kent to show up in the shady places she does. And I'll bet Clark helps her get in touch with some interesting sources in the city.

All in all, nice wrap-up to this adventure!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It was a great ending. Cute and lots of fun.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well done.

Framework4
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
The story could have ended satisfactorily at the end of part 24, but I'm glad you posted this part anyway. Since Patrick didn't use his trademarked adjective, I'll go ahead and use it: The ending was delightful.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved this story from start to finish, and after all the suspense, I'm glad to see Lois and Clark get such a happy ending. smile

My only complaint is that now there isn't any more. frown

Will there be any more Shane fics in the near future?

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sweet ending to a very well thought out and researched story.

Totally agree with the Queen, will there be anymore Shayne stories?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well done, Shayne! I liked having the mature Lois and Clark meet and bait Luthor at the White Orchid Ball. And I'm surprised that Clark waited so long to officially propose to Lois. Of course, he might have done so a number of times "off-camera" and gotten gently turned down for the reasons he and Lois discussed.

I'm a little puzzled, though, by Lois' suggestion that they "go home" at the end. Does this mean that they've been a couple all this time and just haven't made it legal and official or public yet? Or was Lois simply acceding to her desire to make her home with Clark? Or did I miss something? Almost anything's possible, I guess.

I bet they bring Luthor down soon now. And I'd also bet that no one else gets hurt or killed because of what Superman does or doesn't do. It's too bad Perry and Lois had that friction between them for so long about Bill Church's death, but that sort of thing is to be expected in the crime-fighting business. Nobody guesses right on people every time.

But I guessed this would be a sweet and intense tale. And it has been. To address the earlier question about you writing more, is this part of a trilogy? The first part would be the tale of Clark learning how to survive on the streets of the Big Apricot, and this would be the second. Is there a third installment of this universe on the horizon or must we be satisfied with what we have?

Either way, congratulations on a well-told tale. I look forward to perusing your next offering. I know it'll be excellent, as always.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Is there a third installment of this universe on the horizon or must we be satisfied with what we have?
Terry, I think this was conclusion of the trilogy. The first part was when alt-Clark's parents initially died and he was taken away into foster care. I don't recall off the top of my head what the name of those stories were, though. Then the middle section was him running away and coming to Metropolis to learn to live on the streets. That would make Homecoming the third.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Originally Posted by DebbieG
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting Clark Kent, billionaire, but it makes a nice coda to his hard life. It's fun to see Clark getting Lex's goat, too!

A great epilogue to a great story!

I agree. I didn't see Clark going for wealth either, but he would see its uses. Like Margaret Thatcher said, "No-one would remember the Good Samaritan if he'd only had good intentions; he had money as well." I can see Clark pulling his hair out knowing where the wreck is and having to figure out how to (plausibly) recover the contents.

Lois and Clark knew the Church's empire had been taken over so I'm surprised that Lex is still around. It sounds like this Lex is a lot slipperier than canon.

Thanks for the great story!

Shallowford
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I felt like there was a missing scene, or at least some missing background. I can certainly imagine how Lois's life went (other than cutting out Paul and the Irish dude as date material) but I want to know how Clark got to his rich status. How did he find out about one or two of the first shipwrecks/missing treasures? Who did he interact with to find out about it? Maybe it's because I know people who've been involved with shipwreck salvages but the process of what went on to make him rich makes me curious.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Kerth
Kerth
I just finished reading through the series. I thought it was very well written: a good plot, well paced, with a style that kept me completely engaged. I'm headed to the archives to find any other stories you've written. Thanks for sharing your work with us!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Virginia is right about this being the third part of the trilogy. There was The stages of grief...which I sort of petered out on, then Vagrant, then Homecoming.

As to why they haven't caught on to Lex, well, several reasons. First, Clark has been preoccupied with building his fortune and his charity work. Treasure hunting likely meant that he was away for long periods.

Also, Lex was aware that the two of them brought down Intergang, and he has probably been very careful of the two of them from the start. He's not stupid, and they don't have the benefit of relative anonymity that our Lois and Clark had.

As for the how, well, we know from the first time HG Wells showed up and needed gold for his time machine that it was pretty easy for Clark to fly off and dig up some gold in a pretty short amount of time.

Doing it *legally* however, and in a way that conceals his powers is something else.

I can imagine Clark working in Alaska king crab fishing throughout college. He would no longer actually have to eat, and he's pretty good at keeping expenses low.

Once he noticed his first sunken wreck, he'd probably go to work for a treasure hunting outfit for a year or two to learn what he needed to know about the pitfalls of the business, as well as to gain the skills he needed.

He might start a "Scuba" business using his savings and a bank loan, initially rent the equipment he needed until he could pay for it, and then start off with a small wreck, building up to bigger fortunes.

Unlike modern treasure hunters, who have to do months or years of research, then extensive searching to find a treasure, he can super speed through historical references to find the general area the wreck might be in, then scan the oceans with his x-ray vision or even simply fly underwater until he finds the exact locations of the wrecks.

His costs, needless to say would be a lot less and his success rate a lot higher than real treasure hunters.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, so I'm here to comment as well smile
Maybe it's just me, but the first part of the story made me think of "The breakfast club" movie... So I hope you don't mind if I retrieve old pal Jim Kerr to sing along with him: "I say la-la-la-la-laaa-la-la-la-laaa..." *moving hands in sync*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
(Boy, on a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid will I rate? Don't really want to know...)
*Ahem* Let's go on with the review.
I really loved your young Lois (which doesn't really come as a surprise, since I often seem to love her more in the fictions than in the original series), maybe even a bit more than Clark, that late in the story sometimes looks a little too much of a "saint" for my taste wink
Oh, and am I wrong or there's an E.T. reference when the guys "take off" at the end of the chase riding the bicycle? smile
I wasn't very satisfied with the last chapter, though: it seemed to me that you've tried to explain too much things all at once... But it's not a big deal, after all.

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard