Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Helga The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/12/09 11:11 AM
Welcome to...

The Chain

The Chain is quite simple. I suggest a fic, the next person suggests a fic that has some connection to the first one, and then someone else posts a fic which has a connection to the second fic and so on and so on...

When you post you fic, you should also say what the connection is. Connections can be simple (same author, same theme) or a little more clever (has a similar revelation scene, added to the archive in the same week) or just downright complex (the name of that original character is similar to this well known brand of breakfast cereal and this fic has a fantastic breakfast scene in it...*)

So, to get the ball rolling, here's my fic to start the chain:

Honeymoon in... Vegas by Sue S.

Folcs, do your worst... dance

Helga

*If you can make a connection about characters names and breakfast cereals, that would be awesome.

P.S. I blatantly stole this idea from Radcliffe and Maconie on BBC Radio 2. If you're not really clear what I'm on about, and how it all works, here's Radcliffe and Maconie's chain , which is all about songs.
I propose Learning to Love by Carol M because of two reasons:
1) There is a honeymoon scene in it, and it's a Honeymoon in... Metropolis. :p
2) Like Sue S, Carol M is on the board with a first name and an Initial.

Of course, there are more parallels between the stories: Both have Lois and Clark married rather suddenly, in both cases not quite planned, and in both stories Clark has to take a plane before he gets married. smile
I propose Hiding in the Shadows by Irene Dutch .

1. In Learning to Love, Lois discovers that morning sickness isn't confined to the morning and in Hiding in the Shadows, Caroline decides that she's been much too hard on her patients who have morning sickness.

2. Both deal with the after-effects of violence.

Elisabeth
who is too lazy to log out her wonderful husband--besides, he gave her permission
Posted By: rkn Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/13/09 10:24 AM
What Makes a Man by StopQuitDon't- story of an attack on Clark.

There's also a great story about the results of an attack on Lois, but she is married to Clark and they were curently trying to conceive, so she chooses not to take the morning after pill in case the baby is Clark's. She solves the case of the subway rapist while pregnant. I have searched, but can't find it. The title was something like "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining" or "The Silver Lining", but I'm not coming up with anything.
Posted By: Sue S. Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/13/09 10:30 AM
Speaking of attacks on Clark...

Purity by Yvonne Connell. Warning: This fic will haunt you. But it's so, so, so good. laugh

Thanks to Helga for the fun game and for the mention. smile
Posted By: carolm Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/13/09 10:39 AM
Speaking of attacks...

The one mentioned above where Lois and Clark were trying to conceive and Lois was attacked is In a Dark Time by Becky Bain. Excellent fic if a bit hard to read.

Thanks for the mention as well smile .
I suggest To Wake From a Dream by Mobile Richard.

Connection: In the previous story we had Clark entering the ladies' room. In this story we have Lois entering the men's room.

Okay so it's far-fetched, but a connection nonetheless. Love the game. laugh
In Dreams by Kaylle. This story, like the previous, has "dream" in the title.
Posted By: DSDragon Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/14/09 06:58 AM
Above Alt Else by SunRei. Like In Dreams, this story involves an alternate universe--and sort of an alternate beginning.
Clark Kent, This Is Your Life like Above Alt Else involves an alternate universe where Clark has been hurt by Lana and Lois tries to help him.

Great stories in this topic! thumbsup
Can I post again? wink

The Other Woman Part 1 and Part 2 by ML Thompson, like "Clark Kent, This is Your Life" is about an alternate universe where Clark is married to Lana. And he contemplates having an affair with Lois.
The Road Taken by Terry Leatherwood. Like in The Other Woman, Lana doesn't survive the story.

Michael
The Long Road Home by Erin Klinger. It has the word road in it, and it's also an AU fic. And oh yeah, it's one of the best L&C stories ever. wink
Posted By: carolm Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/14/09 04:11 PM
When Lovers Become More by Kathy Brown.

Why?

Because both have unwritten sequels. Not that that's a hint or anything...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/15/09 09:06 AM
Just read In A Dark Time by Becky Bain. Chilling stuff. Excellent story though. I couldn't stop reading it, even as bad as I felt for Lois & Clark. It makes me want to roam the streets looking for, and killing, rapists. But that would be "wrong"....

Anyway, sorry to waste everyone's time, back to the game......
Posted By: BJ Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/18/09 07:22 PM
Lost and Found by Jeff Brogden.

Alphabetically, his name appears in the archive just before Kathy Brown's and like "When Lovers Become More", his story also won a Kerth.

Hey, Helga said the link could be tenuous... wink
My suggestion is Addicted by Yvonne Connell (try to get the nfic version if you dare), because in this fic, Clark is metaphorically Lost until Lois is able to Find him.
Posted By: MLT Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/21/09 06:44 PM
I would go from Yvonne's Addicted to Jenni Debbage's A Universal Union - Book One

Both these stories used red kryptonite in a slightly different way. In Addicted, it's used as a drug. In Universal Union it's used as a source of heat.

[By the way, check out Book's Two and Three of Universal Union as well. Oh, and Jenni, when are we going to get Book Four laugh ]

wave
Posted By: carolm Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/21/09 06:54 PM
Originally posted by MLT:

[By the way, check out Book's Two and Three of Universal Union as well. Oh, and Jenni, when are we going to get Book Four laugh ]

wave
Exactly.
From Universal Union I'd take us to Teaching Indecency by Laura S. In Universal Union Lois starts out as a student. In Teaching Indecendy Lois goes undercover as a student. And, in both stories, Clark/Kal-El rescues (or attempts to rescue) Lois from an older man.
Okay, in Teaching Indecency, Lois goes undercover as a student and Clark / Kal-El tries to rescue her.
In Home Lori is a student and Kal-El / Superman rescues her from a rapist.
Like Home, Dagger of the Mind has a number of great sequels. And they were both written by Nan Smith. Have fun reading! smile
Which reminds me of In Space, No One Can Hear You... by Terry Leatherwood. The obvious connection, of course, is that Superman eats a double chili burger in Nan's story and eats three-bean-chili in Space.

Elisabeth
who knowingly stole hubby's log-in again
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/22/09 08:52 PM
A Charred Day\'s Night by Jen D where Lois also proves that she absolutely cannot cook. wink And because both are really, really hilarious!
And, speaking of hilarious fics, with a connection being "food", or at least "digestive contents", I'd recommend Shayne Terry's absolutely roll-on-the-floor-laughing Seeking Asylum .

This is the "food" (?) quote that's the ostensible link in the chain:

"Now, the guy down on the fifth floor managed to build a bomb using bread pudding, a soda, and his own digestive
juices."
Read the whole story and try not to laugh! Impossible.
Posted By: vive60 Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/24/09 07:44 PM
That was a great one. And
'1001 stupid villain tricks'
really brought to mind A Villain\'s Tale

It's got plenty of humorous villains- and one's dad is even in a nursing home so there is an institutional setting too. And hey, dog saliva...digestive juices...or is that streching it too far?
I think dog saliva and digestive juices are an entirely legal method of extending the chain.

So, here's my incredibly tenuous rationalization so I can add another link:

You mentioned dog saliva. If you have a big drooly dog like a St. Bernard or a Newfoundland, and they shake their head, the saliva goes flying everywhere. It would hit you if you were solid - but not if you were a ghost!

That's the tortured reasoning that lets me recommend Pam Jernigan's incredible (and Kerth-winning, deservedly so) Tryst . What a wonderful ghost story and romance! Don't miss it.
Posted By: BJ Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/29/09 12:38 PM
In Tryst, Lois thinks she's a ghost. In Chris Carr's Some Kind of Angel , Lois is an angel.

I love this one. I re-read it often.
In A Twist of Fates by Wendy Richards Lois is shot to save Clark and becomes a ghost. Great story! thumbsup
In Field of Dreams by Caroline K. Lois thinks Clark is a ghost. I love this story!
Posted By: MLT Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/29/09 05:05 PM
Field Of Dreams, Lois moves to Smallville... Which leads us to Smallville Players by Barb Pillsbury where Lois moves to Smallville to become an English teacher.

ML wave
Posted By: carolm Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/29/09 05:20 PM
Lois also moves to Smallville in Second Choice by Nan.

Carol
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/29/09 05:38 PM
Nan's story has them going to high school, just like in Shayne's Time and Again

(and hopefully I'm making sense, because my brain is on meds...)
Posted By: carolm Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/29/09 05:44 PM
They time travel in Shayne's fic [or Lois does anyway] as they both do in ML's There\'s No Place Like Home .

Carol
In both ML's No Place like Home and Jenni Debbage's The Forgotten Lois and Clark have a daughter named Victoria (Vicky) Kent.
Posted By: rkn Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/30/09 07:52 AM
Lois and Clark have a daughter named Victoria (Vicky) Kent.
Which leads us back to Irene Dutch's series (see the 3rd post, by Mr. D8a, well, Elizabeth, actually) and the story "Gale Force Winds".

I am SO enjoying this thread, and going back and reading a lot of good stories. I had read one or two of Irene Dutch's series, but not the whole, and I really enjoyed it. I also had to go back and read one of my very favorites, "What Makes a Man". Now I just have to decide which ML Thompson story I want to re-read first. smile1
Posted By: MLT Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 04/30/09 05:26 PM
I'm going to take us from Gail Force Winds to All Stirred Up by Meredith Knight.

The connection: Irene wrote Gail Force Winds and she was a beta reader for All Stirred Up.

(And, yes, I did have to do an archive search to find that one laugh )

ML wave
Posted By: Helga Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 05/02/09 05:39 AM
I'm really glad you're all enjoying the game! Work and life has got in the way of the internet for a while, so I haven't had time to check back to see how it was going.

From All Stirred Up, my link is Wendy's Pocket Lint

In All Stirred Up, Lois calls Clark all sorts of inventive names and she does the same in Pocket Lint.
Posted By: MLT Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 05/02/09 12:04 PM
Oh, this one is just too good for me to pass up. From Wendy's 'Pocket Lint', I'd go to a story that refers to pocket lint: An Extraordinary Man - Part 2 by Chris Carr.

The quotation in question:

"And, let's see if I can get this right," Jack was saying, "a 'bottom-feeding toady'?"

"No," Jimmy corrected him. "I think Lois was referring to lawyers as a species, when she said that."

"No I wasn't," said Lois automatically. "That was about one of the management's lackeys from upstairs."

"Oh, right," said Jimmy. He turned towards Jack. "What was it she said about lawyers generally, then?"

"Something about pocket lint?"

"No, that was me. Oh, now I remember: 'tape worms in the belly of humanity' and 'the kind of slime that makes dog mess smell good'."

"I never said that last one!" snapped Lois. "I'd never say anything so... so..."

"Crude?" asked Jack. "Crass? Vulgar?"

"Yes, all those things."
ML wave
Posted By: ccmalo Re: The Chain (May Include Fanfic Spoilers) - 05/03/09 05:01 PM
Okay, adding a link:)

This Child Belongs to You by Jenni Debbage

because Constance Hunter is in it and she's a lawyer. Also, both stories have well developed A plots. And, like Chris, Jenni lives in Scotland.

btw, want to add that, imo, Chris Carr is one of the best lyrical writers we have. (I don't like making comments like that, but really she's very good smile )

c.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards