Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: shimauma Amish Challenge - 11/06/14 02:00 AM
Don't know if it's been done yet, but the Kents are Amish...GO!
Posted By: Christina Re: Amish Challenge - 11/06/14 03:36 AM
I think I remember hearing about an Elseworld (I think it's called "The Nail") that kind of has that as an underpinning precept. The Kent's truck get's stopped by a nail, preventing them from finding Clark's ship. Instead, an Amish family takes him in. As a result, the JLA does not have Superman as part of their founding members. I'd recommend reading it or at least trying to get ahold of "Another Nail" which has Clark join the world as Superman after being found by Lois.

Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Amish Challenge - 11/06/14 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Christina
I think I remember hearing about an Elseworld (I think it's called "The Nail") that kind of has that as an underpinning precept. The Kent's truck get's stopped by a nail, preventing them from finding Clark's ship. Instead, an Amish family takes him in. As a result, the JLA does not have Superman as part of their founding members. I'd recommend reading it or at least trying to get ahold of "Another Nail" which has Clark join the world as Superman after being found by Lois.
Those stories sound interesting, Christina. Sadly, they aren't on our Archives under those titles. frown
Posted By: KatherineKent Re: Amish Challenge - 11/06/14 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Those stories sound interesting, Christina. Sadly, they aren't on our Archives under those titles. frown

They are real DC Elseworlds, not fancfics. Sorry.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: shimauma Re: Amish Challenge - 11/07/14 01:33 AM
Those stories sound interesting, Christina. Sadly, they aren't on our Archives under those titles

Exactly that! I want a fanfic, preferrably humor, but I can see one where our Perry hears these fantastic rumors about an amazingly strong farm boy and sends a junior reporter(Lois Lane) to go investigate it. GO!! Go write it now! You know who you are!

TEEEEEEJ
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Amish Challenge - 11/07/14 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by shimauma
Exactly that! I want a fanfic, preferrably humor, but I can see one where our Perry hears these fantastic rumors about an amazingly strong farm boy and sends a junior reporter(Lois Lane) to go investigate it. GO!! Go write it now! You know who you are!
Yes, I agree. Not all of us have access to the classics. wink I'd love to see one of our writers' take on this idea.
Posted By: Morgana Re: Amish Challenge - 11/08/14 02:23 PM
Hmmm, how would Clark survive under these conditions?
Posted By: shimauma Re: Amish Challenge - 11/08/14 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Morgana
Hmmm, how would Clark survive under these conditions?
I reckon he'd be the best/fastest dang barn builder in all of Kansas... and churning butter like a BOSS!

TEEEEEJ
Posted By: KenJ Re: Amish Challenge - 11/09/14 01:38 PM
I was not aware of an Amish community in Kansas. I thought that they were pretty well limited to the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area and somewhere in Ohio.
Posted By: RJS Re: Amish Challenge - 11/09/14 02:23 PM
There are Amish and Mennonite communities all over the country. Yoder, Kansas, south of Hutchinson, is the center for all the Amish communities around it.
Posted By: Christina Re: Amish Challenge - 11/10/14 01:06 AM
It's my understanding that as men get their own families, they're given a part of land. As Lancaster, PA, Ohio and even Illinois are rather tight when it comes to the amount of available land (that's relatively inexpensive), groups of Amish and Mennonites purchase swaths of land to the west. It might not be be easy to get around the limitations of travel to do it, but that's where the "English" come in. Oftentimes it's not frowned down to hire an outsider if it has a specific purpose (like moving to another locale) to assist them.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards