Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: HatMan Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 06:26 AM
A smart and talented friend of mine ( [Linked Image]) proposed a theory a while back that any song is vidabble for L&C.

I've seen evidence of it in the past. C_A's awesome Lonely Goatherd comes to mind, for example. And I've seen a few vids with comments of "I never thought it could be done with this song, but it just works so well!"

And that's the thing. The unexpected ones seem to turn out best. At least, they stand out from the crowd.

(Sometimes, anyway. I've had one or two come out of left field and fall flat. But that's not important just now.)

So, I've been thinking about starting a thread about it. Just hadn't gotten around to it. Until now.

Here's the deal: Think of the most unvidabble song you can imagine. A song you like, hopefully, but no way you could turn it into an L&C vid.

And maybe, just maybe, that'll spark off someone's muse, and next thing you know... Another awesome vid for us all to enjoy.

I'll start the ball rolling with Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

What do you think?
Posted By: Sue S. Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 07:00 AM
I think I'd like to see you try it. grovel
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 07:17 AM
lol, no. That's the point. I don't see a way to do it. But maybe someone else will.

Or, shorter but still classic... Pink Floyd's "The Wall."
Posted By: Sue S. Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 07:24 AM
Ooo! Classic rock! In that case, how about "Mother's Little Helper" by The Rolling Stones?
Posted By: Trinity Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 08:03 AM
Pretty much anything by Tori Amos....

The most impossible song I can think of off the top of my head is "Tribute" by Tenacious D. wink
Posted By: alcyone Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 09:39 AM
Pink Floyd's "The Wall."
That just screams "Smart Kids" for me. smile Bohemian Rhapsody though, I can't think of a thing!

I agree with Trin. "Tribute" would be tough. Actually, anything by Tenacious D would be tough.

Most rap/hip hop would be impossible as well I think. I just can't see it. My brain goes pffft at it.

alcyone
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 10:16 AM
oooh - this is fun!

How about um... Rock the Casbah, by The Clash? Or Jump, by Van Halen?

Mind you, looking at my playlist right now is making me want to do vids for songs I would never have thought of, like Sunday Bloody Sunday and... dare I say it, The Best Day Ever, off the SpongeBob movie soundtrack. (OMG, I think I'm deranged!)

ETA: for the record, there are parts of Bohemian Rhapsody that are sooooooo easy to do for L&C it's not even funny...
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 10:24 AM
ETA: for the record, there are parts of Bohemian Rhapsody that are sooooooo easy to do for L&C it's not even funny...
Parts of it, perhaps. I'd thought of a few. But there are a lot of parts to that song.

Then again, what am I saying?

If you've got some ideas... Give it a shot! Then see what else you can fill in. Do a little at a time, and you just might find yourself finishing it... laugh
Posted By: Psychofurball Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/11/07 02:10 PM
Oh, You just *had* to make a post of this, eh? Got my curiosity peeked.

Ah, well. If I see something that looks cool, I might do one. Just sorta lost my muse, at the moment. :p

Rach
Posted By: BanAnna Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/12/07 01:20 PM
LOL! I knew this was gonna come back to bite me. I still think my theory holds true, although the songs people have suggested so far do pose significant challenges.

My competitive nature is begging me to put my vidding where my mouth is. Much to my dismay, I don't have time to vid *all* the songs here, but I may try my hand at one or two of them.

Keep the suggestions coming! What other songs are impossible to vid for LnC?

~Anna
Posted By: datchickukindaknow Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/12/07 05:44 PM
Maybe someone could try Baby got back. That would be interesting if it could be done.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/12/07 05:50 PM
Or a song with a person's name -- which isn't anyone on the show... like, oh, I dunno, off the top of my head, "Sweet Caroline" (guess where that came from) or "Hey There, Delilah". Oooh - or Mika's "Grace Kelly" *ROFL*

Oh, and... Bohemian Rhapsody, I think I've got it all worked out, so I'm going to try. I'm going to have to edit the song something serious, though - on the instrumentals, I guess? - cause six minutes of song... *cries*
Posted By: BanAnna Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/12/07 06:35 PM
I'm really interested in what you come up with, Lara. I had a thought that could work, but six minutes of song makes me want to cry too. Plus I kind of hate the song to begin with, so listening to it on repeat does not sound like fun.
~Anna
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/13/07 01:15 AM
Ooo, you're going to do it, Lara? That's awesome! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. smile

Anna - I've been thinking about posting this for a year now. It just seems like a fun thread. And look, we're getting at least one new vid out of it. So... thanks. smile (And don't feel like you have to do it just to prove yourself. But if you come up with some ideas... laugh )

Back to classic rock...

Beach Boys: Surfin' USA
The Who: Pinball Wizard
Eagles: Hotel California

Or, to be really unfair... Two words... "Weird Al."

Oh, or hey... how about Eve6: Inside Out?
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/13/07 07:48 AM
Yep, definitely going to try vidding Bohemian Rhapsody. In fact, I think I'm going to do that this afternoon. laugh

Weird Al? ROFL!!! OK, someone MUST find one of his songs to do! That would be way, way too cool. *giggles madly*
Posted By: Trinity Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/13/07 07:52 AM
Oh, how about "White and Nerdy" for Weird Al?

rotflol
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/13/07 06:43 PM
Aww, c'mon, that one's easy. You have Clark in the show, for God's sake! laugh

Seriously, if someone does this song, I will love them forever laugh I'd certainly be interested to try vidding it myself, but I only have half the show on DVD so I'm afraid I can do only half as good work as others can.

Lara!! Thank you so much for doing Bohemian Rhapsody! smile It would be a shame to edit out parts of it, but it's indeed huge frown But please, cut out only instrumental parts - else the challenge Paul issued would miss something, I think. Heh.

See y'all,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: Psychofurball Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/13/07 08:54 PM
Weird AL, EH? Too easy. I have two videos already in the works with two of his songs.

Rach
Posted By: Trinity Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/13/07 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Anna B. the Greek:
Aww, c'mon, that one's easy. You have [b]Clark
in the show, for God's sake! laugh

[/b]
Oh yeah... I actually forgot that we're supposed to post songs that CAN'T be vidded, lol.
Posted By: Laura S Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/13/07 10:55 PM
Oh! How about "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies?

Hehe. laugh I dare anyone to even get two seconds of video to *that* song.
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/14/07 12:16 AM
Skimming over the One Week lyrics (it's been a while), it seems like it just might be doable. Be hard to find some of that stuff, but the chorus shouldn't be too hard.

My main concern, though, is that the lyrics move too quickly. I can't understand them at that speed. Captions would just be a blur. And, most importantly... any video that tries to keep up with them would be a hazard to epileptics.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/14/07 05:00 AM
My main concern, though, is that the lyrics move too quickly. I can't understand them at that speed. Captions would just be a blur. And, most importantly... any video that tries to keep up with them would be a hazard to epileptics[
Perhaps you could just include the lyrics in your post when you post the vid?

LabRat smile
Posted By: Laura S Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/14/07 08:04 AM
My main concern, though, is that the lyrics move too quickly. I can't understand them at that speed. Captions would just be a blur. And, most importantly... any video that tries to keep up with them would be a hazard to epileptics[
Yeah, that was the main reason I mentioned it. I should have clarified. The chorus would be doable, but I can barely even understand the rest!
Posted By: malu Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/14/07 12:37 PM
On the crazy side:

"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", by They Might Be Giants.

laugh

Or even better:

"Alphabet of Nations", also by They Might Be Giants.

malu
Posted By: princessanna Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/14/07 02:22 PM
I'd like to see someone try the 'Lumberjack Song' by Monty Python. laugh

That'd be a difficult one to do...

~Anna.
Posted By: symbolicangel Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/14/07 08:19 PM
I'd like to see someone try to match clips to the lyrics of Janie's Got a Gun, by Aerosmith.

evil I betcha can't do it! laugh
Posted By: Saskia Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/14/07 10:43 PM
How about Travelin' Soldier by The Dixie Chicks? I've thought that one over in bed last night, and couldn't figure it out. Any takers, perhaps?

Saskia smile
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/15/07 06:29 AM
lol, Lumberjack. Funny. I was just thinking of that song as I was falling asleep last night. For no reason I could figure. Scary, that.

As for TMBG... Hmm... Didn't work so well for me last time , but Istanbul... I've got a thought. Just don't know if there are enough clips to make it work...

I just might take a crack at it, though. Could be fun... laugh
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/15/07 08:07 AM
I think that a lot of songs of Lisa Chappell would be hard.

Or a song with a person's name -- which isn't anyone on the show...
So how about: 'Carrie Anne' or 'Sorry Suzanne' from the Hollies.

-Camy
Posted By: datchickukindaknow Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/15/07 02:40 PM
Ok this song cant be done under any circustances The parts of the Brain by Pinky and the Brain.
Posted By: BanAnna Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/15/07 02:43 PM
I could *SO* do Pinky and the Brain! I have the perfect duo in mind. laugh

Darn you guys! This thread is giving me entirely too many vid ideas! razz

~Anna
Posted By: Saskia Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/15/07 10:50 PM
I could *SO* do Pinky and the Brain! I have the perfect duo in mind.
Couldn't you have come up with that one in say June? <g> At least, if we're thinking along the same lines here. laugh I'd love to see this one, anyway!

Saskia smile
Posted By: woody Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/16/07 12:06 AM
Since someone mentioned Weird Al, I have one that is just plain impossible. Amish Paradise. Can anyone even find a scene that looks Amish in the show?

I know one that might be possible, but would certainly be difficult, and hilarious if anyone tried it. I Am Cow by Arrogant Worms. Somebody did a vid for the Happy Happy Birthday Song, another one of their songs. Or what about A Man Has Needs, another great one.
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/16/07 07:09 AM
Yeah, I think that most of Weird Al's stuff would be impossible. Like Albuquerque(10+minutes eek )

I also think that most Christian/religious songs would not work as well. For one, it would be irreverent (heck even Weird Al doesn't touch them), and two, most of them are God/Jesus centered, which, trying to come up with something to go with that would be just tacky.

However, Steven Curtis Chapman's, "I Will Be Here" , is a love song and that would be perfect for LnC, but I digress from the mood of the the thread.

Ray Steven songs would also be difficult. "Mississippi Squirrel" comes to mind, or worse yet, "The Streak"!

And of course, Humpback Whale 'songs' would also be impossible...

James
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/16/07 07:18 AM
Since someone mentioned Weird Al, I have one that is just plain impossible. Amish Paradise. Can anyone even find a scene that looks Amish in the show?
You don't have to take it literally. Just find things that are, perhaps, simple and old-fashioned. Like Clark's manners.

Besides, you've got the Kent farm, which is more modern than you might expect, but is still fairly pastoral.

Or you could do the whole thing sarcastically, filled with the weirdest sci-fi stuff in the show. Lasers instead of butter churns, etc.
Posted By: Trinity Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/16/07 08:07 AM
"The Taliban Song" By Toby Keith. :p
Posted By: woody Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/17/07 08:47 AM
YESSS! Ray Stevens. Those are great.
Posted By: woody Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/19/07 11:50 PM
One I thought of that probably can be done, but would be hilarious all the same, I Like to Move It Move It from Madagascar.

Edit: I'm going to put this in a new thread.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/21/07 08:13 PM
Well, my friends, now that I've done Bohemian Rhapsody, I was thinking...

Anyone think they could do a song by Yes -- one of the old ones, you know? The ones that have lyrics that barely make any sense at all, like "I've Seen All Good People" or "Tempus Fugit" (hehe!) -- I'll even take "Owner of a Lonely Heart"

You'd totally get my eternal gratitude!! ...and a choice spot on my Christmas card list, too! wink

~Lara (who hasn't outgrown gold old prog-rock yet)
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/23/07 09:46 PM
Was at the store today when I heard a song come on and knew I'd have to post it here...

"Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

Can't think how to do it, but that'd be awesome.

Also... show tunes. Gilburt & Sullivan (Major General?), Broadway, whatever.
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/24/07 11:25 AM
When I told my Dad this challenge, he suggested One Night In Bangkok.

Personally, I think it can be done; however, I don't have the clips or the music, and I'm not even sure of the lyrics. (Okay, I flat out don't know anything besides part of the chorus and the fact that it involves snakes. I think.)

Still, good luck! ^_^

ETA: LaraMoon? Where is this Bohemian Raphsody MV? I cannot find it, and I love Bo-Rap so! mecry
Posted By: woody Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/24/07 11:47 AM
It's in this folder, couple threads down.
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/24/07 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
ETA: LaraMoon? Where is this Bohemian Raphsody MV? I cannot find it, and I love Bo-Rap so! mecry
*puts on LaraMoon disguise*

Hello! My name is LaraMoon!

No really, it is! I'll prove it!

Umm...

Omlette du fromage?

See, I spoke french!
http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000912 laugh
Posted By: BJ Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/24/07 04:10 PM
Omlette du fromage?

See, I spoke french!
rotflol rotflol

BTW - Lara, I LOVED your Bohemian Rhapsody Vid. Very cool.

BJ
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/24/07 08:23 PM
Yay! Thanks, somehow-different Lara! goofy
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/24/07 08:33 PM
Oooh! One Night in Bangkok! I love that song... darn... and I've got a list of vids to do that's already *this long*

grumbles... wink
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/25/07 12:38 AM
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park - Tom Lehrer
The Masochism Tango - Tom Lehrer
My Home Town - Tom Lehrer
The Elements - Tom Lehrer

Lehrer's take on life is odd but very funny.
http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/
Has the lyrics, and music for a lot of the songs, but not the vocal parts. Watch out, the site plays loud MIDI music as soon as you open it.
Posted By: woody Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/25/07 11:52 AM
Yes my sister loves those songs, Marcus. She's even got the first part of "The Elements" down.
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/25/07 04:14 PM
Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy

ETA: No, wait. Wasn't on the boards that I saw, but just went to check FoLCVideo, and... It\'s been done! By none other than Annette, the generous owner of the boards and FoLCVideo!
Posted By: alcyone Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/25/07 07:15 PM
LaraMoon have you broken into my playlist? wink When I saw you mention Owner of a Lonely Heart I thought, oh well that's a common 80s song I guess...

But then you had to mention One Night in Bangkok.

Like the actual one from Chess or the one sung by the dudette?

*raises hand* I'd download and watch. It might break my computer, but...

laugh
alcyone

EDIT: Queen of the Capes brought it up...sorry sorry.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/25/07 07:29 PM
Queen of the Capes mentioned One Night -- I just echo'ed, btw.

This said, the only version of One Night in Bangkok I've ever heard is the one sung by Murray Head -- whichever version that is... It's the one I'd do *IF* I did that song. Which, you know... I might. Because I'm weird like that and every time I come see this thread I see another song I want to do.... aaaahhh!!! As if my vids-to-do list wasn't already long enough. *giggles*

Working on one now that's not on this list (but darn well might have been!) -- and when I'm done with that, we'll see.

Of course, if someone were to do a Yes song for me........ (whaddaya mean "bribery won't get me anywhere"? ah...! shucks!)
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/26/07 09:33 AM
Oh, and I don't know if it's possible to rip music from NewGrounds, but if someone did a vid to this: Zero Wing Rhapsody
I would be so grateful.

Or any of the other "All Ur Base" soundtracks out there... hyper
Posted By: woody Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/26/07 09:46 AM
I think it has a way to download the soundtrack at the end of the movie if someone wants to. Love that kind of creativity.
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 10/26/07 10:56 AM
*checks*

Hey! You're Right! eek

Downloadable MP3
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 11/25/07 08:37 PM
"Cows With Guns" by Dana Lyons

I don't think it can be done, but man, it would be awesomely hilarious if someone could pull it off.
Posted By: woody Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 11/28/07 11:47 AM
I seriously doubt anyone can do that one, Paul. And if they do, it'll be genius.

Here's a couple:

"How much is that Doggie in the Window?" Think of Superman as the dog?

On top of Old Smoky

or for that matter,

On top of Spaghetti.
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 12/02/07 07:44 AM
Oh, and what about ''Backwards'' from Rascal Flatts?
If you can keep up with the lyrics in the chorus goofy

-Camy
Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: Bet you can't do *this* song! - 03/11/08 02:03 AM
Bringing this up because I was going through a bunch of random mixed CDs and came across Banditos by the Refreshments and I was reminded how much I love it. Wouldn't be impossible if you took a bad-guy view, but might be tough!
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards