Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: HatMan What time zone are you in? - 02/10/07 11:29 PM
Just curious. I know FoLCs come from around the world, but just how well do we have things covered?

The poll is by GMT/UMT offset. I'm working from this site . It would probably help if you went there first to find your time zone/offset. You can also check this large map from Wikipedia and this page (which, unlike the first one, doesn't require Flash Player).

To make things simpler, I'm ignoring the partial-hour time zones. If you happen to live in one, just pick whatever is closest to you.

I'm also ignoring Daylight Savings.

If you travel around a lot, just pick whichever one seems most like "home." Your permanent mailing address, where you spend the most time, where most of your family lives... whatever works. If all else fails, go with where you are right now.

For your convenience, I've included a couple of cities/regions in each time zone. These were pulled off the list from the first site, pretty much at whim. Please don't be offended if I chose one city over another or if I (and/or the site) overlooked your city. It's just a quick and rough reference.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/11/07 12:14 AM
That's a fun one - I'm curious to find out if we cover all the zones. That would be cool. smile
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/11/07 05:06 AM
six out of 24 so far.

If you use windows, double-clicking on the clock in the bottom RH corner should give you a display that shows a clock and calendar, and says which time zone you're in.
Posted By: Artemis Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/11/07 08:30 AM
If you use windows, double-clicking on the clock in the bottom RH corner should give you a display that shows a clock and calendar, and says which time zone you're in.
Mine's set to display continuously.
Great poll, Hatman. I live at GMT-8, but am just leaving for GMT-10. Can we count that?
cool
Artemis the time zone nut
Posted By: Vanda Detroit Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/11/07 11:32 AM
I live in GMT +1

All the best from Austria,
Barb

PS: I like you idea wink
Posted By: DSDragon Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/11/07 12:17 PM
I'm in GMT-5.
Posted By: Carolyn Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/13/07 05:32 PM
I'm in GMT -5.

Carolyn smile
Posted By: daisymay390 Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/13/07 05:51 PM
I'm in GMT -6, the midwest.

Kate laugh
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/13/07 06:44 PM
GMT +10 a Sydney girl (though you knew that already from looking where I'm from).
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/14/07 03:29 AM
I'm in GMT -3. I live in the south of Brazil, near to Porto Alegre (state of Rio Grande do Sul). wink
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/14/07 04:05 AM
Well, Germany is GMT +1.
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/14/07 05:24 AM
I am currently in GMT - 8(Seattle) , so that's what I marked... but home is GMT + 4 (Dubai, United Arab Emirates).. wink
Posted By: YConnell Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/14/07 06:39 AM
I'm *in* GMT - and I mean that literally, working as I do in the centre of Greenwich. laugh The observatory where the zero meridian is located is just ten minutes walk away from my desk.

Yvonne
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/14/07 07:20 PM
I'm *in* GMT - and I mean that literally, working as I do in the centre of Greenwich. laugh The observatory where the zero meridian is located is just ten minutes walk away from my desk.
Oooh! that is just SO cool! /me wishes she lived somewhere special, too...
Posted By: HatMan Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/15/07 01:26 AM
That is pretty cool, Yvonne. smile

I'm just wondering where all our Asian FoLCs are. Metwin1? Meclone2? You still out there?

Paul
(Physically in GMT-5, although where the mind is seems to be rather debatable... wink )
Posted By: Sue S. Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/15/07 09:29 AM
Oooh! that is just SO cool! /me wishes she lived somewhere special, too...
Since when is Montreal not a cool place to live? I mean, really?!?

Yvonne, I bet I've walked past your building. It's been over a year now, but I spent a fair amount of time in Greenwich. You lucky duck!

I'm high in the mountains, in the Mountain time zone, which translates to GMT -7.

Sue (who has the obligatory tourist photo of herself standing on the meridian at Greenwich)
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/15/07 09:56 AM
(who has the obligatory tourist photo of herself standing on the meridian at Greenwich)
Me too! me 2! goofy
...When I visited Greenwich in 2000, I had a picture of me taken, with one leg on either side of the line smile
Posted By: woody Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/15/07 06:06 PM
GMT -8

Been on the West Coast of the USA for a long time.

I'm afraid we may not have all 24. Any FoLC's in the Pago Pago time zone?
Posted By: groobie Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/15/07 08:42 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(who has the obligatory tourist photo of herself standing on the meridian at Greenwich)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too! me 2!
...When I visited Greenwich in 2000, I had a picture of me taken, with one leg on either side of the line
Yes, me three. I've travelled around the world quite a bit, always avoiding guided tours and the usual tourist traps. (My honeymoon was spent backpacking around Turkey for a month...no sipping pina coladas on the beach for me!) However, I do feel compelled to take the obligatory tourist photo when the opportunity presents itself. I have the Greenwich photo, me kissing the Blarney Stone, my hand in the Boca de Veritas...all the usual suspects. (I hang my head in shame.)
Posted By: Capes Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/16/07 09:25 AM
I didn't see an option there for "simultaneously co-exists in 2 time zones".

I'm EST and CST depending on what day of the week it is. I can't tell you how confused I get trying to watch any television program regularly.
Posted By: Mister Data Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/16/07 09:56 AM
Be sure to add one more the the GMT-6 for Elisabeth.

James

Weird curiosity question.

So, how does Time Zones work on the N & S Poles?

James
Posted By: DSDragon Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/16/07 01:04 PM
Well, there's no land at the north pole, so no one lives there.

And only penguins really leave anywhere near the south pole, unless you count the researchers who might/might not be there sometimes.

But I guess unless they were standing exactly on the pole, then the longitudinal lines would mark out the time zones, maybe.
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/16/07 02:01 PM
Weird curiosity question.

So, how does Time Zones work on the N & S Poles?
I think it's a moot point since both should be uninhabited. Besides, what use do you have for time zones in places where the sun rises and sets only once per year?
Posted By: HatMan Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/16/07 05:39 PM
Sorry, Capes. I wanted to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible. I knew it wouldn't fit everyone perfectly, but I don't think there's a structure that would. I could have let you pick more than one, but that would throw the numbers off. So, like I said, if you find yourself in more than one TZ, just pick one.

As for the polar regions, I was assuming they'd just keep UTC/GMT (since it's more or less arbitrary at that point), but it seems not. I just checked Wiki and found this list of antarctic research stations. It lists time zones for several of them. Amusingly, the US station still observes daylight savings time...
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: What time zone are you in? - 02/18/07 03:33 PM
I'm the only person in GMT+2 so far...

Boy, do I feel lonely, here in this distant little southeast corner of Europe... laugh

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/04/07 06:48 AM
I'm +1 (the Netherlands:p)
Posted By: Aromassa Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 04:28 AM
GMT+10 Another Sydney girl. Hi Crazy_babe!
Posted By: Quel Lane Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 08:21 AM
GMT -5, I'm in Maryland.
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 09:25 AM
We should make a http://www.frappr.com/ map. smile Then we could really see how we are spread out. ^_~
Posted By: DSDragon Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 11:00 AM
I created a map, and put it on my blog. Here's the link:

FoLC Map

If you want, you can put your real first name, and then in parenthesis put your screenname. Or you can just put your screenname, if you prefer. I did the first one.
Posted By: Vanda Detroit Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 11:09 AM
Cool idea, Darcy and Jojo smile
Posted By: DSDragon Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 11:56 AM
You can even change the color of the "pin" so that it'll show whether you're a guy or a girl, or just a "guest."
Posted By: MacKenzie Creations Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 02:54 PM
Hi! I'm the Central Time Zone. I get all mixed up with the GMT stuff.
Posted By: HatMan Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/28/07 08:28 PM
Hmm. Reminds me of something we used to have...

FoLC Map

I always thought that was cool, but, as you can see, it hasn't been updated in a long, long time. Good luck with this one, Darcy. Be good to have a new, current one. smile

Oh, and while I was digging up the link to that, I turned up something interesting and very random:

folC gene identified?

Paul
Posted By: Tarkas Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/29/07 02:28 AM
What I find interesting is that the largest concentration of FoLCs is in the GMT-5 zone -- Metropolis time! laugh

Phil (GMT -- no plus, no minus, just straight GMT cool )
Posted By: DSDragon Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/29/07 06:01 AM
Since my blog kind of cuts off the part of the map where the zoom buttons are, here's an alternative link that shows the whole thing:

FoLC Map at Frappr.com
Posted By: Quel Lane Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/29/07 10:07 AM
Wow, cool idea! I already put myself on the map smile

Raquel smile
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: What time zone are you in? - 03/30/07 09:49 AM
I'm never sure what to put as my time zone, because Arizona is too good for Daylights Savings and all that. We snub our noses at you hour changers! Hmph!

...actually, it makes it a real pain when I'm trying to remember what time it is back home... am I an hour ahead, an hour behind, are we on the same time... bah humbug!
Posted By: princessanna Re: What time zone are you in? - 04/13/07 03:17 PM
I seem to be the only GMT +12 person.

Since I'm in NZ and all.

I feel...special but alone. frown laugh

~Anna.
Posted By: beethoven Re: What time zone are you in? - 04/14/07 07:34 AM
HEY... I KNOW I'm from Sydney too...(+10)

SO I put in that for now,
But it would change in 6 months with daylight-savings...

If one goes up the east-coast of oz during the right time of year you can get 2 different TZs (or is it 3?) on the same Longitude

Then there is always our central states (SA and NT) that go half an hour behind AEST (Australian Eastern standard Time-or Sydney)

where would you put these guys???? confused confused angel-devil just playing devil's advocate
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards