Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: HappyGirl Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/07/11 04:30 PM
Me: What are you doing with your hair for the play (Taming of the Shrew)?

Child: I don't know yet, but I think there's going to be facial hair involved for at least one scene. I'm supposed to be in disguise. I think Shakespeare lives in the same universe as Superman: nobody has any facial recognition ability whatsoever.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/07/11 05:42 PM
rotflol *high fives the kid*
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/07/11 05:52 PM
clap Perfect reasoning!
Posted By: Olive Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/08/11 04:07 PM
Brilliant!! laugh
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/09/11 09:24 PM
laugh /roaring with laughter/ laugh

I remember reading something about "As You Like It", where the author pointed out that on the Elizabethan stage, female roles were commonly performed by boys.

So... we have Rosalind, the daughter of the Duke, disguising herself as "Ganymede" (male cover identity).

Plot summary:
Orlando, a young gentleman of the kingdom who has fallen in love at first sight of Rosalind, is forced to flee his home after being persecuted by his older brother, Oliver. Rosalind, also in love with Orlando, meets him as Ganymede and pretends to counsel him to cure him of being in love. Ganymede says "he" will take Rosalind's place and "he" and Orlando can act out their relationship.
So we have a boy (actor) playing a girl (Rosalind) playing a boy (Ganymede) playing a girl (pretending to be Rosalind for Orlando.)

Just wanted to mention that.
Posted By: dcarson Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/12/11 09:47 PM
If Shakespeare plays and Superman are in the same universe someone needs to do a crossover. Given their ability to get stuck in strange places maybe Lois & Clark can get stranded on Prospero's island? Superman is affected by magic.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/12/11 10:25 PM
Originally posted by dcarson:
If Shakespeare plays and Superman are in the same universe someone needs to do a crossover. Given their ability to get stuck in strange places maybe Lois & Clark can get stranded on Prospero's island? Superman is affected by magic.
Oooh! I second this! A Shakespeare crossover would be awesome! smile
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/12/11 11:49 PM
clap Brilliant! Someone should have thought of this sooner! If I had time, I would definitely do it (Shakespeare-obsessed person here blush ) but as it stands, no can do. But please, please, PLEASE somebody follow up on this!!!
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/13/11 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
clap Brilliant! Someone should have thought of this sooner! If I had time, I would definitely do it (Shakespeare-obsessed person here blush ) but as it stands, no can do. But please, please, PLEASE somebody follow up on this!!!
The only ones I remember well enough are Hamlet, Macbeth, and King Lear, but I can't figure out how to make a successful crossover with those.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/13/11 02:01 AM
I don't know about crossover, but I think that "Much Ado About Nothing" would be a good match. It's a love story amidst tragedy but with a happy ending- Clark would make a good Claudio, though he could pull off Benedick. But Lois is definitely Beatrice...

And Tempus and Don Jon could be relative equals. I think they work, anyways. laugh Not sure about other stories, "The Tempest" maybe, or any of his comedies, really.
huh
Somebody should definitely do something like this, though. Seriously.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/13/11 10:39 PM
Taming of The Shrew?

So many options. The most classic would be Lucy wants to marry and has to get Lois wed first. Or something more elaborate with an accidental wedding from the other thread ?

Michael
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/14/11 05:52 AM
the Tempest crossover potential got me thinking, Maybe a Midsummer Night's Dream for a sequel? much magic in that forrest.

Although "Something wicked this way comes" (Macbeth)
- but then who appears? Lex Luther? or Superman? (but not Clark Kent I think)
or maybe for a a change of tone - it's Cat Grant laugh

c.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/14/11 09:20 AM
Originally posted by ccmalo:
the Tempest crossover potential got me thinking, Maybe a Midsummer Night's Dream for a sequel? much magic in that forrest.
And who would be Bottom? Jimmy? And who would be the Fairy Queen that seduces him? Cat?
So... we have Rosalind, the daughter of the Duke, disguising herself as "Ganymede" (male cover identity).
Something like that took place in the movie "Shakespeare In Love" from 1997, starring Joseph Fiennes and Gwyneth Paltrow. In the movie, Gwyneth stars as a young noblewoman who disguises herself as a boy to get into Shakespeare's company of actors and gets cast in "Romeo and Juliet" as one of the girls. Good story. Loved Will's superstitious little dance routine he does before he starts to write anything.
Posted By: MrsLuthor Re: Metropolis isn't the only place - 10/28/11 08:26 AM
As much as I adore crazy/obsessive/cut-through Lois, I always say that season one is like one long performance of Taming the Shrew.
Kid wins. laugh

And the crossover ideas sound fun!
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards