Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/30/11 01:36 PM
I've never heard of him, but he certainly looks the part. Glad this movie appears to be getting off the ground finally.

[Linked Image]

New Superman cast
Posted By: Artemis Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/30/11 02:58 PM
Hey, he's a Jersey boy! (American joke) Well, he certainly has experience and looks better clean shaven. Henry Cavill
I've got to admit I'd prefer an American,just like James Bond is always British.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: LabRat Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/30/11 10:49 PM
He's been terribly cute as Charles Brandon in The Tudors.

There are bound to be some You Tube clips from that show if you want to check him out.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Tank Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 04:13 AM
He's too short. Why can't a studio find someone who's above average height to play Superman.

Since I never saw the Tudors I have no idea as to the fellow's build, though that can be enhanced given time.

Dean had the build for the role but was consistantly criticized for being too short to be Superman.

Tank (who says that the success or failure of this movie will depend on the casting of a different character...do I have to say it)
Posted By: Chaos Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 05:51 AM
His height is 185cm.
Posted By: lovesuper97 Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 05:58 AM
Too cute
now I wonder who is going to be Lois lane.
Posted By: malu Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 06:04 AM
185cm = about 6 feet 1 inch.

Christopher Reeve was 6 feet 4 inches.

malu
Posted By: Karen Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 06:49 AM
With this movie, I'm more interested in the director and screenplay than the actor. As long as it's not someone off-the-wall, I'm fine. (Though I wish people on the movie sites would stop whining "What about Tom Welling?! WAH") A Goyer/Nolan screenplay directed by Zack Snyder should be interesting.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 10:59 AM
Just pray that they don't feel that they have to start at the beginning yet again...
Posted By: Artemis Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 03:47 PM
Here's an article from today's LA Times on the casting: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011...now-play-superman-batman-and-spider-man/
It's a real British invasion. An now Torchwood will be filmed in LA!
cool
Artemis
Posted By: shimauma Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 01/31/11 07:48 PM
so long as he looks muscular. That fae-androgenous pool-boy look sported by Welling and Routh were entirely lacking in masculinity. I guess Dean's manly muscles spoiled me.
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/01/11 05:03 AM
What Karen said - the screenplay is hugely important. Also, how the character of Lois Lane is handled and the relationship between Lois and Clark Kent/Superman.

c.
Posted By: Karen Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/01/11 08:28 AM
I actually hope they do, Marcus. I've never been a fan of the Silver Age Superman. I was so disappointed when they said the last movie was going to follow the first two. If they can do a modern reboot, I'm all for it.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/01/11 12:19 PM
What I mean is - everyone knows the Superman story - they don't need to go through the "arrived in a rocket from Krypton, brought up by the Kents" thing yet again. What I want to see is a story that begins with the world already knowing about him, and as much as possible of the background just that - something that we pick up as the plot unfolds, rather than yet another long "rescue Lois and become headline news for the first time" introduction.

Take e.g. James Bond - they don't go through every detail of his life in each film, they just begin with him as James Bond, secret agent with a license to kill, and let the story develop from that.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/01/11 04:13 PM
I haven't followed any of the links in this thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating something already mentioned...

I was reading a text article last night which I thought was interesting. Don't know if it's true though. Apparently, Cavill was once known as 'the unluckiest actor in Hollywood' because he just missed out on the roles of Batman, Bond and was pipped to the role of Superman previously by Routh.

LabRat smile
Posted By: shimauma Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/01/11 10:20 PM
My hubby is a huge fan of "The Tudors" on HBO so I told him that one of the actors from that series was going to be the next Superman. "He's going to be British?" he asked, then said, "Well they might as well get a Scottish guy," after which he takes the hipfisted superhero stance and said in his best Scottish accent, "THE 'S' IS FOR SCOTLAND!!!"
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/10/11 06:46 AM
Last thing I read about this movie, Lois Lane is most likely not the female lead. (The female actresses that are considered for the female lead are all blond, and the name of the female lead character is not yet revealed.)
Posted By: StarKat Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/10/11 06:16 PM
I don't know how good this info is, but apparently Lois will be in it and the other lead female role will be Ursa.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/superman-reboots-villain-revealed-so-what-about-lois-lane/

Tara
Posted By: Artemis Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/10/11 08:30 PM
Ursa was the Kryptonian from the Phantom Zone in the original Chris Reeve Superman movies, so she sounds like a villain. The site was taking too long to load, so I don't know what it says.
Thanks for the info StarKat.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: Artemis Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/13/11 09:30 AM
Yep, Henry Cavill has muscles. This is a picture of him from the new movie Immortals as Theseus. This is from Entertainment Weekly. So that part looks promising. He also has the square jaw they are going on about in IMDB.

[Linked Image]

cool
Artemis
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/13/11 10:11 AM
Artemis,

I couldn't see the picture you mentioned in your post. frown

- Lynn

edit: Never mind. I see it now. Thanks for sharing the picture. To be honest, although he does have muscles, he really does not look like Clark/Superman to me. I've never seen him act, so I have no idea how he would be in the part.

All the same, I will probably get the movie when it comes to NetFlix.

Joy,
Lynn

Edit of the edit: It seems our posts crossed. Oops! Thanks again for the pic.
Posted By: Artemis Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/13/11 11:30 AM
Hi Lynn:
It's up now. Folcsite was down for a while and I made a coding error. But there he is in all his glory. I tried to link with Entertainment Weekly, but they wouldn't post the photo, I guess because it is this weeks issue.
The new movie is "Superman:The Man of Steel" and they are going to emphasize his action and strength. Here's the link to IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/

I guess that is why Ursa is the primary female. There's a rumor about Lindsay Lohan as Lana Lang. God save us! Having Lana tells me it is an origin story like Smallville. But Cavill is 27, so I don't know we can go back to teenage Clark.

Whatever it is, I will be seeing it!

cool
Artemis
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/13/11 11:48 AM
Did you see this pic, Lynn? He's no Dean Cain, but I think I could see him pulling it off... but it's the accent that has me worried. A British Superman? I mean, isn't that almost an oxymoron? http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3016593664/nm0147147
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 02/13/11 12:09 PM
Hi MozartMaid,

I'll admit that in the picture you linked to (Thanks!) he does look more like my idea of Clark. But he still isn't quite there.

I, too, would have a problem with a British-sounding Clark. Much as I love accents from all parts of the island, I can't imagine Clark/Superman having an accent that didn't sound American -- the accent would not match the character and the character's background. But I would guess that Cavill would be able to put on an American-sounding accent. At least, I would hope that Cavill would not have passed his audition if he couldn't fake a decent American accent. Admittedly, a lot of actors do an abysmal job of it, but some really shine through -- Hugh Laurie is a prime example.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 03/03/11 07:14 AM
46 year old Diane Lane has been cast to play Martha Kent. Interesting! Possibly to Kevin Costner's Jonathan, although he may be in line for Perry White or someone else we don't know about. I'm looking forward to this less traditional reboot version. smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 05/25/11 12:27 AM
Lois and Clark has spoiled me. There is no Clark that isn't Dean Cain (Christopher Reeve isn't Clark to me, but he does do a dang good Superman). :p
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 06/23/11 10:28 PM
Oh-ho-ho, do I have comments for this!

First: the British thing doesn't bother me so much- accents are easily faked/moved past in films, and a lot of times the actors DO have accents and you don't know it until you watch some bonus features. Although I am increasingly disappointed in the fact that many superheroes are flying under the Union Jack (see Ioan Gruffad's Mr. Fantastic, Andrew Garfield's new Spiderman, Christian Bale's Batman, and now this...) So does a girl have to go out of the country to find a superhero nowadays? razz

Secondly: Doesn't matter if he looks the part as much as it does that he can ACT and the writers actually have a good script this time around. Don't get me wrong, looks matter, but in my opinion, Routh was hot. Not a good actor, but looked good enough for the part. Dean Cain was hotter. And he could act the part. This guy's GOTTA be a good actor. Don't deprive me of another good Superman movie... sad
Posted By: Artemis Re: Henry Cavill cast as Superman - 06/24/11 10:22 AM
You know who would make a great Lex Luthor? Christoph Waltz. He could really play a tough guy. Here's hoping that in "Man of Steel", Lex isn't lusting after Lois to marry her, but maybe to kill her.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0910607

If he can be a lion tamer in "Water for Elephants", not to mention a mean Nazi in "Inglorious Bastards", he'd be able to take on the "Man of Steel."

cool
Artemis
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards