Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: stephnachia Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/18/08 04:39 PM
Hey all! Ya'll have to check out this guy who sings girl parts in songs too. And he actually sounds good. You have to check out his version of "Oh Holy Night" by Celine Dion.

Nick Pitera - A Whole New World (Aladdin)

Nick Pitera - O Holy Night
Posted By: TOC Re: Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/19/08 04:07 AM
Oh wow! I just had time to listen to the first song, but my goodness - it's fantastic, and it becomes no less fun when you consider that this guy has such a "manly chin", too - actually, he looks a little bit like a young cartoon hero! But he sure can sing the princess's part!!!

Ann
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/19/08 06:23 AM
ok... whoa.. cause that is... whoa.

ah! If I hadn't been looking, I swear, I would never have been able to tell that it was a guy signing.

very impressive!
Posted By: metwin1 Re: Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/19/08 09:19 PM
The guy is really good. That said, I wanted to point out that being able to sing high notes, around soprano range, it is an ability that is not at all rare for guys. In fact, it is not so much ability as it is skill, a vocal technique known as falsetto. Guys doing any kind of choral singing or musical theatre will know how to do it.

Granted, it is *not* an easy skill, especially to hit those high notes nicely, sweetly and with power. smile But thanks for sharing.

twins
metwin1
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/20/08 07:25 AM
The guy is really good. That said, I wanted to point out that being able to sing high notes, around soprano range, it is an ability that is not at all rare for guys. In fact, it is not so much ability as it is skill, a vocal technique known as falsetto.
That is true but most of the highest male voices in their falsetto voices are not usually a soprano. There are not as many male voices that can reach the soprano range. Most high male voices reach the tenor range and that sounds very high on most guys. The musical range starts with baritone, bass, tenor, alto, then soprano.

From Wikipedia:
"In most cases, male alto voices eventually crack and become tenor, baritone, bass-baritone, or bass voices. Some men, on the other hand, have permanent alto voices."

Males who can still sing in the alto voice when they are adults are called countertenors. One famous countertenor is Freddy Mercury of Queen. We all know how high his voice was and he was still not a soprano. So the fact that this guy can sing Soprano (a Celine Dion song no doubt), even if it's in his falsetto, is quite a feat.

Here's the info I was reading on Wikipedia:
Countertenors
Posted By: lcfan4ever Re: Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/20/08 10:18 AM
I've seen this videos on youtube already last week (although I have no idea who gave me the tip to watch these vids confused ) and I think this guy is just amazing. when you don't see him you would never know that it's a man who's singing the female parts. just great smile
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/20/08 10:33 AM
thud wow....

James
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Guy Sings Girl Parts Too - 02/20/08 11:25 AM
it's fantastic, and it becomes no less fun when you consider that this guy has such a "manly chin", too - actually, he looks a little bit like a young cartoon hero!
Ha! I thought the same thing Ann. He reminded me of Mr. Incredible from the Disney/Pixar movie. A much younger version.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards