Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Caroline FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 03:15 PM
Omigosh, I adored this! Read the whole thing with a great big smile on my face. What a sweet, clever revelation! Thanks so much for a delightful read smile

Caroline
Posted By: Dandello Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 03:29 PM
I second the above motion. This was great! I was laughing all the way through it. hyper
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 03:45 PM
Whoa! Really, really cute! What a smart Magic 8-ball!
cool
Artemis
Posted By: Melisa Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 05:29 PM
That was really cute! I loved it!
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 07:09 PM
This was a "magic"al story. HAR HAR *ducks rotten fruit*

No really, I enjoyed it a lot and I loved the use of the magic 8 ball in the story. Very well done. I do hope we some more stories from you like this very soon. ^_^ I love a good entertaining story that makes me smile really big at the end. ^_^

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 08:57 PM
Well, that was nothing if not different. I never would have thought of using a magic 8-ball! It is a most ingenious device, and the drama surrounding it was most entertaining. I laughed at Lois's train of thought when she asked the ball if Clark trusted her. And her reactions when she asked if Superman wore glasses in his disguise was priceless!

I can just see her looking towards Clark and either shielding her mouth or barely moving her lips to keep him from reading them as she asks, "Are you Superman?"

Very good story. Send more. Us FOLCs love this kind of sloppy, sentimental stuff. It's an excellent tonic at the end of a frustrating day.

In fact, you should write the conversation they're about to have, using the magic 8-ball. It should be most entertaining.
Posted By: Sheila Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 09:31 PM
What a cute revelation story. It was different and I loved it!

Thanks for such a wonderful little short.

~Sheila
Posted By: symbolicangel Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 10:01 PM
That was the most hilarious and orginal revelation story I've ever read! I was litterly sqealing in laughter! That was just so clever!

I have one question for you though...Where can I find a magic 8 Ball that works like that? laugh

notworthy Well done!
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/01/07 11:08 PM
JDG, that's wonderful! Is this your first fic? Have I missed something?

Your story is beautifully written, where the language flows perfectly.

I had never heard of the magic 8-ball. I googled it, and I quickly found myself at a page sponsored by The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - well, that's pretty much me, you know! laugh Ah, but if I can accept that a man can fly, at least in the LnC universe, then surely I must accept that this little oracle-contraption knows all the answers that you can ask it - at least if Lois and Clark ask the questions? laugh

I loved how you wrote Lois, how she was dismissive of the 8-ball at first, but how you got her more and more fascinated as the ball started answering her questions about Superman. You wrote her questions so that we, who know the answers, could enjoy the 8-ball's answers even more. And we could easily follow Lois's follow-up questions and groan and giggle to ourselves, 'Oh Lois, if you only knew....' laugh

Does Clark trust me?

<Cannot predict now>

That answer stung. Was that why he hadn't told her? Come to think of it, she had no idea how Clark had become such good friends with Superman. She was the one who had seen him first! And yet, at some point in those first few days after Superman arrived on the scene, Clark was the one who started getting all the really good Superman stories. Why? Was it because they were both new to Metropolis? Clark had been a fish out of water, but surely Superman hadn't felt that way.
<giggle> <groan>

Was Superman new to Metropolis? she thought - hoping the ball could sense exactly when she meant. It was specific enough in her mind, after all.

<It is certain>

So why pick Clark as his friend? Why not her? Why not someone who already knew the city?

Does Superman like Clark more than me?

<Very doubtful>

But why Clark? Lois glared at him as he typed away. Why him? Sure, Clark was nice in a bland sort of way but Superman was a man of action and Clark was... Clark.
Superman was a man of action and Clark was... Clark. Oh, so Lois! You nailed her perfectly!

As Lois gets closer and closer to the truth about Clark and Superman, we can feel her excitement growing. And I, for one, felt it too! I could feel my heart beating faster, and I was trying to read faster, too!

When Lois finally asked the 8-ball about Superman's disguise when he walked the earth as a normal man and she was told that he wore glasses, we knew that she had to find out the truth. Particularly when she started doodling glasses on a newspaper picture of Superman. Let's just hope she didn't leave that newspaper lying around - hey, where is the paper shredder?

[Linked Image]

This is an absolutely delightful story! Please let us hear more from you.

Ann
Posted By: groobie Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 12:30 AM
So cute! smile1 This was a great little revelation story. Of course, now you need to write more to keep us FOLCs happy and the feedback rolling in! Suggestion: Lois and Clark after their first date hanging out at Clark's house - Clark pulls out a Ouiji board. Romantic questions lead to WAFFY fun!
Posted By: Vanda Detroit Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 01:47 AM
smile1 what a cute story. I enjoyed it very much and had to laugh a lot at the end. Nice idea. Where can I get such a magic 8-ball laugh ?
Posted By: ignoredsins Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 04:16 AM
Simply adorable! What a great premise for a story! The ending was absolutely perfect.
Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 04:24 AM
laugh

Adorable!

Your characterization is so perfect. The first conversations between Jimmy and Lois and Clark and Lois could have been taken straight from the series! And the Magic 8-Ball idea was ingenious. Write more soon!

Jessi
Posted By: sweet_lil_chumpy Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 05:03 AM
JDG, that's wonderful! Is this your first fic? Have I missed something?
Yes, TOC, you have. This is JDG's 4th story to post on the msg brds. I think. She did the Scream stories - Scream and Scream 2 a little while back. And she started one that I believe she posted over on the nfic side that looked promising... has that one been abandoned?

I would have harassed you about it but what can I say, I'm just a lazy lurker...

But I enjoyed those and I enjoyed this one as well - though it was quite a different style from Scream. Magic 8 Ball didn't sound like an ominous title and it wasn't. This one had me laughing the whole way - light and fluffy, that's always nice. No one's fingers being threatened...

Okay, so when's the next one?
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 05:31 AM
OMG! I loved it! It had me giggling and acting all fangirl-ish this morning. hehe!

Nothing I like better than a sweet and fun fic with breakfast in the morning. And this one was *perfect* on all counts!

Thank you!
Posted By: JDG Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 05:40 AM
Thank you! I'm glad everyone has enjoyed the story so much. blush

Nicky, I didn't think anyone would remember me - thanks!
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 07:28 AM
I loved this. It made me smile. laugh

Do another one. jump
Posted By: JoMurf Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/02/07 12:20 PM
Cute, Cute story. I really enjoyed it! Hope to see more from you soon!! smile

Jo
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/03/07 02:18 PM
After the first few lines, I hardly ever stopped laughing. (Okay, I did stop - but only in order to be able to read on.) What a funny ride! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: lcfan4ever Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/05/07 01:39 PM
oh, that story is absolutely hilarious [Linked Image] . I'm not sure why I haven't found it sooner, but I'm just glad I've found it at all. It really made me giggle all the time laugh
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/05/07 02:50 PM
OMG, that was great! Too funny!

Jackie
Posted By: Arawn Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/08/07 12:18 AM
Witty stuff, Am I just slow, but did Clark manipulate the ball?
Posted By: JDG Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/08/07 08:52 AM
Am I just slow, but did Clark manipulate the ball?
How would he do that from across the room? He's talented, but is he *that* talented?

I'm seriously blown away that everyone found this so amusing.

Thank you!
Posted By: Laura S Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/08/07 11:41 AM
Hehe. laugh I loved it. I'm just catching up with my reading from when I was away and this one just cracked me up. I love a long, drawn out revelation scene as much as the next fan, but you know, there's something so gratifying about a snappy, funny one. It's just too perfect. Great job!

--laura
Posted By: Arawn Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/08/07 12:06 PM
How would he do that from across the room? He's talented, but is he *that* talented?
Well essentialy he can do whatever the author feels like. In the show he kept paperballs in the air with his breath at some distance, perhaps he could have heated the surface with his gaze and manipulated the ball in that way?

It was Clarks "the ball never lie" comment that made me wonder.
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/15/07 09:39 PM
That was just perfectly delightful! What an adorable well thought out, well writen story! I absolutly LOVED it. It had me cracking up the whole time. Great revelation! Laura
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/16/07 12:56 AM
Oh I loved the story. Very sweet and funny!
I liked it that Lois didn't think the magic eight ball would work untill she got the answeres she wanted to have about superman wink
Posted By: Angie Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 08/16/07 09:43 AM
I wish my magic 8-ball was that useful! How sweet!!
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 09/29/07 09:35 PM
This is a fun, original take on the revelation that I loved. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Lisa
Posted By: Shallowford Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 09/02/15 04:27 PM
I liked the story, but I didn't realize at first that there were .GIFs that weren't displaying. The Archive version works, though.

Very fun.
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 09/02/15 11:00 PM
Wow! Here's a blast from the past! shock

I wrote this story (and a few others) as JDG. There weren't any gifs in it, so I'm puzzled by the mention of them. I tried to find the story here on the boards, but all of my searches came back null. I did put all the quotes from the Magic 8-Ball in <>, so maybe that caused issues when the boards got updated. huh

At any rate, thank you, Shallowford, for resurrecting the story. I'm glad you enjoyed it! thumbsup
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 09/02/15 11:31 PM
I found it on this site by searching for Magic 8.

The answers are blanks, and doing a right click on the page then clicking on View Page Source will show the text. The answer to the first question appears as:

<my reply="" is="" no="">

Maybe the equal signs and double quotation marks were added in an upgrade and cause the blanks?

It reads fine in the Archives.

And it's a delightful story! Just what I needed today! lol
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 09/02/15 11:56 PM
Thanks cuidadora!

Once I left the date fields blank, I could find it. Go figure. I finally remembered my password as JDG, so I was able to go in and edit the post. In fact, that's all I did, open it in editing and save it again and, voila, the <> characters reappeared.

For those who want to read it, it can be found here: Magic 8-Ball smile
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK: Magic 8-Ball - 09/03/15 05:27 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, Shallowford! What a delightful revelation fic. clap Entertaining, suspenseful, and short fic that kept me giggling throughout. For those who don't recall it from their childhood, here's a picture of one
[Linked Image]

(By the way, the question asked was "Will I enjoy this fic?" ) Guess Clark's right, the Magic 8 ball never lies. smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards