Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: LabRat First try at fanfic - FDK - 07/31/07 11:01 AM
Hey, Nina and welcome to the boards! Nice to see you trying your hand at fanfic.

I just wanted to explain that I made a slight edit to the header of your story post, just to avoid any confusion where someone might think it was a feedback thread and tack feedback on to the end of your post.

We like to keep stories and feedback separate here. smile Just in case you were wondering what the edit was and why my name had suddenly appeared at the bottom of your post. <g>

LabRat smile
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 07/31/07 11:16 AM
Yeah, well done on actually writing one of these things. I have one half typed, but I'm stalling cos once I've finished it I might feel compelled to post it and that is rather scary. eek

Title ideas:

They make me SO MAD! (It made me think of Lois and Dr Friskin dicussing her options when I started reading)

Cosmo girl

Psychobabble

Weights and Measures (getting a bit obscure now)

DUH! (in the tradition of Tempus)

And the winner is...

Somebody stop me before I hurt myself. Any good? goofy (that last one is not a suggestion - unless you want it)
Posted By: Dandello Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 07/31/07 12:02 PM
On my browser everything was scrunched together and virtually unreadable - please double space between paragraphs. Some of us have old eyes. blush
Posted By: lcfan4ever Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 07/31/07 12:37 PM
I have do admit that the story was a bit hard to read with everything being one large text, but what I've read was great smile I think if would have been in Lois' situation I would have kicked both of them out of the door, but well - that's another story wink

I hope you'll write more stories in the future thumbsup
Posted By: JoMurf Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/01/07 04:49 AM
Good job, Nina! Always happy to see new victi...um authors here! smile

Post was hard to read without the double spacing between paragraphs, but it was good first story.

Jo
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/01/07 09:05 AM
Nice work, Nina, and of *course* you should submit it to the archive. It's a good story, and they'll help you with all the format stuff.

I liked the image of Lois turning her back on the bickering boys and just picking up a magazine instead. laugh Apparently, neither one of them noticed...

The idea that we pick partners who remind us of our parents is kinda scary, but it's at least partly true. Sometimes I scare myself with how much my husband resembles my step-dad (physically and personality-wise), 'cause I did not get along especially well with my step-dad! But that's a great hook to get Lois thinking about things from a new direction.

I especially liked the part about Lois not minding if she resembled Martha (which is fortunate, 'cause she does!). smile

Good ending, too. She's leaving Dan and running after Clark -- making her choice very very clear.

I haven't any suggestions for a title, but if something occurs later I'll let you know.

As I said, nice work! thumbsup Hope to see more from you.

PJ
Posted By: Olive Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/02/07 09:41 AM
Thank you very much for your replies!!! smile1 I really appreciated them. I'll just go back and edit the story to be more readable. Sorry for that!!!
Oh,and I loved those titles. I hadn't thought of giving the story the name of a (fictional) magazine, but it's great!!! Thanks!! smile
Posted By: Olive Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/03/07 08:45 AM
Done!!! But ignore the first three posts, please.
Posted By: Sheila Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/03/07 06:32 PM
party Great, Nina!

~Sheila
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/07/07 01:19 PM
Very Friskin-like moment there for Lois, but I can imagine she was exhausted after awhile. My 3 kids tend to bicker their entire summer break and after awhile I just tend to pick up something to read until they're through.

My favorite part was when she saw herself in Martha and when she argued with herself that Clark wasn't like that.

Elisabeth
Posted By: Olive Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/10/07 10:39 AM
Once more thank you very much for your great (and very kind)feedback!
I'd like to submit this story to the archive smile1 so today I'll start looking for editors and a title help
Please help!!!!
Posted By: LabRat Re: First try at fanfic - FDK - 08/11/07 07:21 AM
so today I'll start looking for editors and a title
Best to post a request separately in the Fanfic Related thread if you're looking for a beta reader, Nina. Your request will probably get missed in here. More people will read it in FR.

Or try the list of willing betas stickied at the top of the Fanfic Related forum. There may be someone there who'll suit what you want.

A beta will probably be able to toss around some title ideas with you, too.

Hope you find what you're looking for. The Archive - and it's GEs laugh - always appreciate an author getting their story up to the best possible standard they can before submitting it. We like to save them as much work as possible. wink

LabRat smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards