Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: ShayneT Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/05/07 11:16 PM
I've just started this, so I'm open to suggestions as to where you'd think this might go, and what you'd like to see happen.

Also, like the premise, the execution? Let me know what you think!
Posted By: Framework4 Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 12:02 AM
Wow, what a way to restart the whole thing.
Posted By: Cornelia Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 12:13 AM
I like the beginning of your story and I´m really eager to see more of it.

But you know you get a problem with a time paradox? If Lois manages to save him and the world, she will never be sent back into her younger body. I´m curious to read how you are going to find a way out of this paradox! laugh
Posted By: bakasi Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 12:14 AM
Ohhh wow!!! I love your premise. Your idea is just great! Come back with more soon.

This holds a lot of posibilities, given the fact that Lois remembers the future, so to speak. That means she already knows that she loves Clark. Will he be in love with her just as quick? Or will he be the one who doesn't notice? And what will he think of a woman who is calling him and who can't possibly know him?

Ohh, I'm all excited!
Posted By: ardchem Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 12:21 AM
I love the premise of this. I do have one question though about Lois wanting to call Clark. You wrote:

If it was ten here, it’d be eleven in Smallville. The Kents were probably already asleep. Clark would be home from college, but there was no telling how long he would stay. Today was the only day he was guaranteed to be at home.

If Lois is in Metropolis on the East Coast and Clark is in Kansas, then if it's 10pm in Metropolis, it would be 9pm in Kansas. The time difference (no pun intended) works the other way.

Lisa
Posted By: woody Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 01:44 AM
I love this idea, and somehow I see an angsty story with Lois having to be patient and careful how she handles this.
Posted By: Poussin Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 02:37 AM
Yeah! I love that premise. Would they meet younger or would Lois hung up? (I sure hope she won't do that) Would Clark fell in love with her at first sight, as in the show, or is he still too into his Lana's crush to even notice her? I really want to read that. It's a great beginning.
Posted By: Caroline Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 04:05 AM
Oh, yes, indeed I like the premise. And the execution. No idea where it should go, but definitely sign me up for all future installments. I love your writing, and if you post it, I'll be there to read it!

Caroline
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 04:53 AM
Always love time travel premises, (Back to the Future :)and the idea of a younger Lois with fore-knowledge of both herself and future events should be interesting.

Also, as always, love your writing style, Shayne. A pleasure to read.

You asked what we'd like to see.

Please don't make this a crossover with Smallville. Keep Clark consistent with the Clark we saw in L&C:tNAoS. That doesn't mean, of course, that he will be exactly the same as he was when he 28 (is that how old he was when Nightfall hit?) - he's still got about 5-7 years of experience and understanding before he hits the Daily Planet. smile So it'll be interesting to see Clark Kent at 20 or so. And especially interesting to see how (if?) he decides to go to the future.

How long since Clark was gone? 18 months or 700 days?

Lois's evening with her grandmother brought tears to my eyes - How many us wouldn't love to have than second chance?

And will you bring the young Clark to Metropolis sooner, rather than later in your story? Might be interesting to see the young Clark Kent in the 'fish out of water' scenario too.

Wasn't "Time and Again" a TV series? (totally OT, I know laugh )

c.
Posted By: TOC Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 05:22 AM
If I could turn back time.... Isn't there a song which goes like that? If I could live my life again, with the fore-knowledge of events that I know of now, oh, all the mistakes that I wouldn't make, and all the things that I would make right this time.... What a hauntingly beautiful premise, Shayne. And somehow, it feels somewhat fateful, too.

I would absolutely love to see you continue with this. I completely agree with Carol that I would like you to stay within the LnC universe, and not make it a Smallvile crossover.

In the past, we have always seen Clark so instantly infatuated with Lois and so determined to make her fall in love with him. Is he going to be similarly smitten now? I would really like to see that, but on the other hand, it just might be better to have Clark just slightly more standoffish this time. I would like Lois to try to meet Clark pretty soon - make that as soon as possible - and I would like to see her try to convince him that they were made for one another. And then I would like her to try to protect him and save him from the death that claimed him in the future world that she had left behind.

Interestingly, this Lois would probably also have a very big secret which she would try to keep from Clark, while she, on the other hand, would be in on his secret. Lois's secret would be that she knew much of his future. Should she ever tell him? Should she try to keep it a secret from him forever? No, I think it would be a good thing to tell him, all the same... but when should she tell him? Will he believe her? Is he going to be scared of her because of her "superhuman" knowledge of his future? (Or maybe his future, or the future in general, will not go in the same direction as the timeline that Lois left behind?

So many possibilities! Please go on writing, Shayne.

Ann
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 08:08 AM
Shayne, you posted it! I remember you talking about this one night on IRC weeks ago. And it's great. Please continue this; you can't leave us hanging after such a tantalizing beginning. Lois is already handling this differently than before (re: her grandmother, not arguing with her father) so how will that change her future? What will she tell Clark? How will that alter their love story?
Posted By: carolm Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 08:39 AM
Shayne - this is wonderful! Am very intruiged!!! I think whoever posted earlier is right - you're time difference is backwards - unless Lois isn't in Metropolis at the moment.

I figured she'd just ask for Bob and had the wrong number or something.

I'm going to be reading!!
Carol
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 09:55 AM
Whoa.

eek dizzy notworthy

Shayne, you surely know how to hook the readers! I'd only opened the thread to see if you had an author's note that would give me a clue as to where you were going with this... but you got me from about the first sentence.

This is a fascinating premise. I have no idea where you're going with this -- as interesting as it would be to see Lois live her life over and make better choices, though, I want to get her interacting with Clark. One way or another. With both of them hiding things... could be interesting.

Anyway, count me in.

PJ
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 10:08 AM
*claps*

Yay!! You wrote it and posted it! I'm so glad to see it up. You know I adored the premise of this one when you were sharing the snippets in IRC. You put this together nicely and I'm really excited to see where you go with it from here. There are so many ways it could go!

I can't wait for more Shayne. ^_^
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 11:07 AM
dance yes! no Claude!!!!

Or better, heaven help Claude when she finally meets him again!

I think you should stay as close as possible to LnC canon. This Lois can avoid a lot of the pitfalls that the original one committed, but she will still have those memories, so she knows what she will need to do to get to where she will meet Clark.

This Lois should still not be 'in the mood' for mood pieces, this Lois should be still able to strike fear in people. This Lois should still be able to take no prisoners to get her story.

But...

This Lois will probably have one extra Kerth. This Lois will have a better relationship with her father. This Lois will probably be friendlier with Cat(she won't be so uptight about her social 'failings'). This Lois will probably play it cool with Clark, for about, oh, 5 seconds wink . This Lois will not fall for Lex (Which can be dangerous, since she will want to take him down a peg at some point.

This story opens all kinds of possibilities.

As for the paradox issue...This Lois is a refugee/orphan from a now defunct time line. Similar Frank Parker of Seven Days. Once he fixes the problem, only he will remember what actually happened.

James, whom you can tell really likes time traveling stories.
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 11:39 AM
Don't forget guys... this Lois is still going to be our Lois even if she doesn't live through all the experiences. Remember she already lived through them all once so there isn't any changing that.

Plus to the person who asked about her not having a body to go back to... I think if you read it there is no going back for her. I think this is permanent. I may be mistaken though... so I suppose Shayne will have to jump in and tell us for certain. ^_^
Posted By: jackiek Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 12:19 PM
What a great idea, Shayne! I definately want to see more.

Jackie
Posted By: Nan Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 12:59 PM
Wow, Shayne, This is great.

This story grabbed me from the first sentence and I'll be reading, if I can stand the suspense. (You *are* going to give us a happy ending, aren't you?)

Nan
Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 02:48 PM
Ooo, this is very interesting!
Great writing, too. I can't wait to see more!

Jessi
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 04:21 PM
Hey, Shayne, you had me from
“It might be easier to just seek grief counseling.” Dr. Klein stared at her soberly. “The risks of this can’t be understated.”
This is great! As several previous posters have noted, this story is rife with possibilities. One thing's for sure, though, that Lois has already altered her past by being nice to her grandmother and not arguing with her father, not to mention choosing the most modest garments she can find in her closet. Those acts will have repercussions in days and years to come, and I can't wait to see where you go with this.

One thing that might throw Lois somewhere down the line: when she steps into a situation that went "thisaway" the first time but now goes "thataway" and she realizes that she's changed enough of the past that she can no longer rely on her memory of it to guide her. The fur will fly then, you betcha!

The best suggestion I have for you is to keep writing. This promises to be a very original story line, and I'm eager to see what you do with it. I'm sure it will be outstanding, wherever your muse takes it.
Posted By: daisymay390 Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 05:07 PM
Wow, I'm hooked. smile1 I cant wait for more. Just one question, and maybe it will be answered later but does Lois know that Clark is superman because it wasnt clear in the story? Just wondering. I love time travel fics, they are always my favorites. Cant wait to see what Lois does when Clark answers the phone.
Kate laugh
Posted By: ShayneT Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 05:56 PM
Wow. What a quick response from everyone!

I have to go with James as to the orphan in the timeline theory. Otherwise, everytime Lois changed anything, she'd find her memories being rewritten right then and there. That could be fun...but this is a Lois with her own memories, ones she is going to keep.

Also...the paradox issues may be addressed later anyway. wink

As for the time change mistake, that's all it was. I wrote this late at night and wasn't thinking. I like Carol's idea about them being somewhere else, but from Lois's high school reunion episode, I have a feeling she hasn't lived outside of Metropolis, at least not at this age. (Ireland nonwithstanding).

No worries about a Smallville crossover. Lana may show up, but she'll be the blonde with the accent, not the brunette with the lisp.

Clark has been gone 700 days. The eighteen month figure talks about the time the time travel project was started.

Part of what made Lois so attractive to Clark was that she wouldn't give him the time of day. Many beautiful women liked him, but it's the one you have to work for that you want. smile

How will that play out? We'll have to see.

Thanks for the tips, James.

Yes Jojo, there is a Santa....er...yes, you are right. Lois is stuck in this body from now on. No going back. It's a one way trip that was only supposed to last three years.

Happy endings? When haven't I written happy endings? (Except for those stories where Lex ends up in a bad way...which could be happy for lots of people.)

And absolutely, Terry. Things get interesting when Lois can't predict what will happen anymore. When will that be?

Kate, as Pam has surmised, Lois DOESN'T know that Clark is Superman. I'll go into that later. If she knew, it'd be way too easy... evil

Thanks for all the suggestions and the praise. Since I'm writing the new chapters soon, I'll see what sparks my imagination. This may end up almost being a round robin (all written by me, heh heh.)

Thanks again!
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 06:14 PM
Whoo hoo! It's another fic by Shayne.

Love the premise for this one. It made for quite an interesting dinner-time conversation.

Something was wrong. They’d never said there would be pain.
Eek! goofy

Enjoying it all.

Elisabeth
Posted By: Tank Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 06:58 PM
Shayne, definitely an interesting premise. I've always been a big fan of time travel stories and the paradoxes that they create. The End of Eternity by Asimov was always one of my favorites.

Actually, I'm a bit disappointed(as is Lois)that she jumped back farther than she planned. I'm not as interested in her having to relive her teen age years as I am in her frantic machinations to change the crises point of her life, and her efforts to save the world.

It will be fun to see her fight her new found feelings for Clark when she is supposed to not have those feelings yet. Will she or won't she?

Considering that this will be her life now, why wouldn't she make the effort to hook up with him sooner?

When you think about it, since this is now Lois' life, even with memories of a past life, whatever she makes happen now will be her 'new' life. Eventually there will be such a divergence that her old memories won't mean much. Then the fun can really begin.

Tank (who thinks that one thing that Lois should do is get her hair cut sooner since she knows that Clark likes it better wink )
Posted By: noorie Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/06/07 08:07 PM
I can't wait for the next part of this story!
Posted By: Vanda Detroit Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/07/07 05:53 PM
Hey Shayne,

really great idea how you started!
Instead of Lois Lane, respected reporter, she was Lo-Lo, rebel and general screw up.
lol, sounds funny
Clark Kent spoke again. “Hello.”
oh, how I hate those damn cliffhanger...

hyper I'm waiting for you next part!!!

Barb
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/07/07 06:08 PM
Wohoo!! Another Shayne story smile dance
Posted By: ShayneT Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/07/07 07:50 PM
I took the liberty of lifting your bit about the pap smear, Elizabeth. If you don't like it, I'll change it back.
Posted By: vsp Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/07/07 11:34 PM
Yes, this is interesting. So, Lois doesn't know that Clark is Superman, eh?

Hmm. That also makes me wonder what the future that she left was like. So if humanity has embarked on a dozen projects to save itself from whatever catastrophe Lex likely caused in the future, I wonder what happened to Lex. Executed for crimes against humanity? Or all-powerful and untouchable? smile

Eh, I guess I'll read part 2 now.
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: Comments: Time and Again (1/?) - 02/08/07 03:46 PM
Hi,

Great start! hyper

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards