Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Lynn S. M. FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/09/21 05:39 PM
I came upon this old vignette while I was clearing off my computer's desktop.

All feedback appreciated.
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/09/21 05:59 PM
*Squee!!!* This is so adorable and sweet and I love it!!! clap

Also, there's something a bit hilarious about Clark treating superpowers the same way as tea preferences. laugh "I like lapsang suchong, I can fly, and I also take my tea with lemon. You?"
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/10/21 11:18 AM
Okay, I must admit that I don't get why he would spill his secret like this. But I kind of like the twist anyway. Perhaps this this tea is some kryptonian equivalent of strong ale?

Just a thought.... goofy
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/10/21 01:01 PM
Hi Queenie and Bakasi,

Queenie, I am glad you enjoyed this ficlet so much, and that you saw the humour in how casually this Clark views his own powers.

Bakasi, thank you for your honest feedback. Could you elaborate on what you wrote? Did you find this reveal to be too early? (I agree it is a bit early, but I always saw this game as a perfect opening for him.) Too casual? Did the lines that struck Queenie as humorous strike you simply as implausible? Was it something else?

Thanks,
Lynn
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/10/21 02:10 PM
Lynn, I don't think it was implausible for him to share his secret at this point, it just runs counter to his ingrained "dissect you like a frog" caution. But it shows how much he trusts already Lois. I mean, why else would he share something so intimate as his tea preferences?

Truly a sweet vignette. I can see this happening, although the series writers would never have done this because it would have sucked most of the interpersonal tension out of the relationship drama. And that's why we have fanfic, to "fix" all the things the series writers could have done better. And this would have been a terrific moment for him to spill that secret.

Then we could do all sorts of things to push them apart for a while - Lois pulls away because she's a little in awe of Superman; Clark lets her because he's not certain whether she loves him or the cape. So it could have gone exactly like this and still been a thrill ride.

clap
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/10/21 04:53 PM
Okay, maybe I'm overanalysing things here. But this is one of the first times Lois treats Clark with a modicum of respect.It just seems OOC for me that he would share his secret with Lois now after he has kept it from everyone else.

But then, I'm a strong supporter of Clark's decision to delay telling her until he knows that she loves Clark, too.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/10/21 08:14 PM
Cute story! Very sweet! I do agree with the sentiment that it would have been too early for Clark to trust spilling the secret, the "what-if" is just so much fun to consider. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/10/21 10:46 PM
Hello all,

Bakasi, thank you for the clarification. You make a good point about Lois's behaviour. To be completely honest, I've always found S1's "Mad Dog Lane" rather off-putting myself; but Clark obviously saw something in her that I myself did not.

Terry, I like the way you envisioned the alternate version of the show.

DC, always room for one more revelation story?

Be well,
Lynn
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/11/21 12:28 AM
DC, always room for one more revelation story?

Always! smile
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/12/21 01:24 AM
Perfect lead in. I wish this had been an out-take or something on the show :P
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/12/21 03:01 PM
Thank you, Blueowl. That would have been fun.
Posted By: SupesFan Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/13/21 02:45 AM
My own unsolicited opinion.

Lynn, I am so grateful you “Came across this old vignette on your computer” and then decided to share it with us.

I don’t care if it was “too early in their relationship. I don’t care if it was in tune with the “dissect him like a frog ongoing theme.”

This was a DELIGHTFUL short , short story. Fun, giggling whimsical and such a joyous treasure to read. I always loved the balcony scene and this enhanced version of that scene was like pouring hot, gooey fudge sauce over MY FAVORITE ice cream “Moose Tracks.” Sorry Lois.

After the events at the Capitol last week, this tale was just what my soul needed. Just my humble opinion.

Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/13/21 05:59 PM
Sweet, wonderful, whimsical. Sometimes that's all.

No need for heavy analysis.

Thanks.
sloppy
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/14/21 03:08 PM
Hello SupesFan and Morgana,

Any smiles my story may have given you have been returned multiple times with your feedback. laugh Thank you.

SupesFan -- You've done something that has never been done before: Your description of my story sounds so delicious, you've made me want to eat my words. wink Seriously, though, I'm glad my story was able to provide you a bit of respite from the news. (I'll admit that between the riot and its aftermath, I have been spending a lot more time than usual myself glued to my TV screen watching events unfold.)

Thanks again,
Lynn
Posted By: Shallowford Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/26/21 11:57 AM
Great story. And I think I could see Clark grabbing the opening and cannonballing through all of the angst. Getting it out before Lois could get a head of steam would be crucial. Though he'd probably be a basket case for a week afterwards staring into space and repeating to himself "I can't believe I did that."

By the way, I love that poem. I used that poem when I proposed to FarmerBabe almost 30 years ago.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 01/26/21 11:25 PM
Hi Shallowford,

I can think of no better quote to use in a proposal. Congratulations on almost three decades of marriage.

Yeah, I could see Clark having retroactive angst. I could also see Martha knocking some sense into his head about it.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Be well,
Lynn
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 02/05/22 10:04 PM
Hey! Catching up on my Kerth reading and I came across this. smile

I love the way Clark handled the question! laugh I do always love watching my favourite characters do stuff like that - Invisible or Fly, Truth or Dare etc.. Good job!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 02/05/22 10:10 PM
Hi Anna B. the Greek,

Thank you for leaving feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

I know there are any number of reasons why the writers of the show would never have had this scene play out the way I did (too early in the L&C relationship, too early in the show, etc.), but when I first watched the show, a part of me had half-expected something like this to happen. Well, as Terry mentioned above, I guess this is one of the reasons that fanfic flourishes. smile

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 02/07/22 05:11 PM
Oh, this was a sweet little vignette!! love What a fun place for a revelation. laugh

Sara smile
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 02/07/22 05:31 PM
Hi Sara,

Thank you. BTW, I've long meant to mention that I love your "KSaraSara" handle. What a fun bit of wordplay. smile
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 08/17/22 08:30 PM

Hi Lynn!

Let’s see…

Invisible or Fly
Hmm … early season one. Unless they pick up on it later.

LOIS: Every time my husband flies off on an emergency, I become invisible.

While she asked the inevitable question in return, he surreptitiously super-looked around to make sure no one was observing. Would he ever get a better opening than the one she had given him just now?
shock

“Invisible, because I already can fly.” He proceeded to demonstrate by hovering a few inches above the balcony.
Eep!

, “You hadn’t been angry that I didn’t share my tea preferences with you until a few minutes ago; please don’t be angry that I hadn’t shared some other things I do that to me are as matter-of-fact as drinking lapsang souchong.”
I’m not sure that argument counts. Lois might see things differently there.

You made me think you were two different people.”
Awww… just like a politicianclap

but I needed to be sure I wouldn’t become your next Kerth.”
LOIS: that’s not… I mean… I wouldn’t … wait what mean by “Kerth”. This is a Pulitzer, at least!

She laughed bitterly, “Kerth? More like a Pulitzer. But I wouldn’t do that to you.”
laugh

As they took to the sky, he laughingly asked, “So has the game now shifted to ‘Fly or grow old’?”
Did he just propose?

And as they flew over the city he had so quickly come to love, he knew that his own answer to that question would be, "Both."
And did she just accept?

Sweet. Quiet. Cute.

And reading the FDK, I didn’t mind the early untwist. What would fanfic be without the What Ifs of those goofballs going off at an unexpected angle?

wave Michael
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 08/18/22 02:26 PM
Did he just propose?
In a "non-proposal proposal with plenty of room for denial as needed" sort of way -- maybe.

And as they flew over the city he had so quickly come to love, he knew that his own answer to that question would be, "Both."

And did she just accept?
Nope. It was he who was thinking "Both," not her.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Invisible or Fly (1/1) - 08/18/22 03:29 PM
In a "non-proposal proposal with plenty of room for denial as needed" sort of way -- maybe.
=> going on a journey in vagueness only to end on "maybe" rotflol

wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards