Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: KathyM FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 09:13 AM
Man, CC, this is just beautiful. Lois' deduction that this is all an elaborate scheme perpetrated by this flying alien, then her despair when she can't just go home. I'm glad their memories of Tempus have kicked in, and that they're working together to try to figure out just what the heck has happened here.

And of course the Peacekeepers. I just *love* this part of the story. And this had me ROTFL...
There was a committee that worked round the clock brainstorming just that very thing. The Places to Drop Tempus Safely committee, or PDTS, had been dragged out of bed in the middle of the night and told to get to work.
A full-time job, absolutely. Maybe they need a few more committee members, since they haven't been entirely successful in the past. Can I volunteer?

Anxiously waiting for Tuesday, because we still don't know why L&C can't be found with the soul tracer, and now the lifeline levels are dropping! Yikes. This is indeed a time for cursing. Hell, yeah. Like Hank said...

Kathy
Posted By: LabRat Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 09:49 AM
Such an emotionally charged segment, CC. Poor Lois. Poor Clark! I remember snuffling into my kleenex reading her painful conclusions that this was all a scam by Clark, first time I read this.

And, again, have to echo Kathy on Madge and Co. Inspired! You just have to love the idea of baked goods as camouflage. laugh The scenes with Madge and her willing band of helpers provide such a wonderful, hilarious counterpoint to the angst our heroes are currently enduring. Brilliant interaction between them.

It's been a while since I read this part - was that tag line from Hank a new addition? Either way, it had me rotflol

Roll on part 4!

LabRat smile
Posted By: gerry Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 10:08 AM
What confusion! goofy

But at least she got passed her paranoia and started talking to Superman so she's in investigative mode. (Hated when you broke off to check in on Madge.)

And poor Clark was interrupted when he was going to make his revelation. Well, I'm sure Lois will find out soon and boy will she be mad. evil

And then there was
So, with simple, unimpressive architecture and a central location in the heart of Utopian Metropolis as part of the disguise, as well as a gourmet bakery in the front, the Ministry of Helpers and Peacekeepers existed unnoted. Except on Wednesdays, which was two-for-one donut day.
rotflol

I'll be around on Tuesday....

gerry
Posted By: Helga Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 10:10 AM
So, with simple, unimpressive architecture and a central location in the heart of Utopian Metropolis as part of the disguise, as well as a gourmet bakery in the front, the Ministry of Helpers and Peacekeepers existed unnoted. Except on Wednesdays, which was two-for-one donut day.
What goes on in your mind?!

If I ever have to hide an international peace keeping mission, or master criminal opperations (often the difference only depends upon your point of view), I'm going to use a bakery.

I'm loving this, emotional and kooky (never thought I'd use that word, but it just sprung in there) at the same time.

Thank you!

Helga
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 11:01 AM
Ditto everyone! Here I am alternately laughing my head off, gasping in amazement and sighing in sympathy as I read. And all the time I'm thinking - right, definitely time to hang up my keyboard. How can anyone even come close to this genius? eek

And I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop - it's obvious that Lois is going to see or hear something soon which tells her that Superman is actually her lowly, annoying, foisted-upon-her junior partner at the Planet. Of course Clark isn't going to be able to tell her himself. And when she does find out... sparks will fly. And she might not even care that she'd get hurt if she tries to hit him again! goofy

Wow. Just amazing. And just keep it coming! wildguy

Wendy smile
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 11:03 AM
Darn, Helga beat me to it..two for one donut day..ROTFL!!

Poor Lois, I really feel for her. The confusion, the anger..blaming Clark!

And CLark the poor thing..bombarded with his entire history all at once! Way to much to handle. Then he almost messes up at the end there calling her partner..oops.

Keep it coming, it's like a magical, mystery ride. See you Tuesday indeed.

~Liz
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 11:04 AM
Wow, CC... I hadn't realized, last time, that Clark had not actually heard of Krypton yet... it must have been an exceptionally bizarre experience for him.

I haven't any smart guesses about where this is going, but so far I'm sure enjoying the ride! smile

PJ
(who do I have to bribe to get advance looks at this??)
Posted By: Tank Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 11:12 AM
An interesting ride so far.

Watching Lois and Clark discover their apparent future together is going to be pretty fun. I look forward to Lois' first confrontation with herself in the 'short-haired' part of her life. Will it be through holophotos, or another actress playing the role of a later Lois?

Even given all the fun of Lois and Clark's explorations, we still have the somewhat sinister undercurrent of the Peacekeepers and their 'true' agenda, an agenda that has to be kept from the general populous. Typical, Utopia is this supposed idyllic place to live... but at what price is it maintained?

Tank (who finds CC's writing annoyingly good)
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 11:45 AM
Most secret organizations are usually behind the dry cleaners. I thought it was very imaginative to have them behind a bakery! This is so great I'm in awe. I really like this Lois and Clark. And that "damned" Wells - ROTFLMAO!
I can't wait until Tuesday!
cool
Artemis
Posted By: ChaaBreh Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 01:44 PM
I had to also laugh at the bakery front.

Years ago, when I worked at a finance company (most of the U.S. readers would recognize the name), I used to write loans to finance sewing machines. AFter a while, I realized that all of those men hanging around in the back of the sewing machine shop were Mafiaosa types!

Who would suspect? A sewing machine shop?

Anyway, this is very original and quirky.

Batting another 1000 here, CC!

to Tuesday!
Posted By: Shadow Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 01:53 PM
He was obviously a brilliant actor if he was able to slip under her bad guy radar as neatly as he had. He was, also, obviously much more than simply strong and able to fly. He could control minds and distort reality and even... recreate a person’s past.
Oh, good god, Lois. You're blaming Superman for all of this? **cough Foul Ball cough**

Trust me, I’ve done this before.”

“You’ve led tours of your life history while impersonating yourself? Great. Because I’m a little green at this.”
smile1
Posted By: Karla Kent Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 02:06 PM
CC this is so great!!!!!

I can´t wait to read the next part

Karla
Posted By: sheilah Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 03:55 PM
I was itching to pop Lois one for accusing Clark of engineering this entire thing, especially while he was looking so distressed and unhappy. This had to be his celebrity nightmare from ILTY come to hideous technicolor life. So I was very happy when Lois remembered Tempus and started working with Clark instead of blaming him.

However, that whole Peacekeepers bit has some horrifying possibilities. I'm worried that the lifelines are tied to L&C's existence. Could Clark possibly be powering a future world, or is there something in this time that is sapping L&C's lifelines? Or is this Utopia going to convince L&C that no sacrifice is too great to prevent the development of such a horrific world?

I know. I have a morbid imagination, which is why I don't handle depressing stories very well. But you've got me hooked now, and I don't know how I'll drag my attention away from this story to grade the essays filling my memory stick.
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 03:56 PM
Wow Cc I am enjoying the ride! I can't wait for more. Laura
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 05:50 PM
This is really, really good. It's imaginative, clever, and also happens to be a real nail-biter. Keep it up!

The one thing that always bothered me when Tempus would try to stop Utopia from becoming a reality in the future was: Wouldn't he also keep himself from being born? Maybe the drop in the lifeline vitals is affecting Tempus too, and he'll have to make a choice to die and destroy Utopia (meaning that he won't get to enjoy the experience) or tell them where Lois and Clark are (and ruin his fiendishly clever plan). Or maybe he sent them to an alt-Utopia and - oh, never mind! I'll just wait for the next post.

Please don't make me wait too long.
I just read all three parts. CC! You genius! This is absolutely brilliant!! smile1

Please, CC! I can't wait til Tuesday! I need more *now*! wildguy wildguy wildguy
Posted By: rivka Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/16/05 11:09 PM
First off, I want to echo Pam. Who do I have to bribe to not have to wait until Tuesday? I have donuts! goofy

This is just wonderful. So many great lines have already been quoted. And, like Jen, I'm wondering where Madge is going . . . ? And I also noticed, as she did, that Clark almost spilled the beans. Leave it to a Jimmy to stop him! laugh

Tuesday is going to be a very busy day for me. Any chance we could talk you into Monday? Or since that will be busy too, perhaps Sunday?

How about now?
Posted By: YConnell Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/17/05 05:59 AM
I wish I could be original at this point, but really, there's no response available to me other than the tried and tested WOW!

On the other hand, this story is fantastically original, CC. Everything is drawn from the familiar, but you've extrapolated an amazingly vivid and very real set of characters and scenes which go well beyond anything we've seen before. Not only that, but it all seems so right. The Daily Planet as a museum dedicated to the life and work of Lois and Clark, 'Perry' as the ring master, the garish Superman colours everywhere...I'm speechless.

A few highlights for me:

She lost it. “No! No! Leave me alone! Don’t.... don’t!!”
God. Her reaction had to be incredibly distressing for Clark. It's his worst nightmare come true - she's terrified of him because he's an alien.

He glanced at the street signs. “Sunny Street and Happy Way,” he read in disbelief, his eyebrows rising into his hairline.
LOL! Again, just so right for this world you've created.

Generally, the low-key way you've introduced new technology. It's there, as it should be, but it's in the background - also as it should be. Unlike a lot of sci-fi movies. wink

“A Fellini film.”
A nice moment of shared film-buff knowledge. Wonder when Lois is going to switch her ferret mode back on and start noticing all this stuff he knows about? Or his admission that he wasn't that sure of his own origins...?

Love the names you've given the Peacekeepers - especially Petal. Over here, 'petal' is an endearment in some areas - like 'dear' or 'duck' or 'hen'. And Odias Sinders - how on earth did you come up with such a wonderful name???

“Hell, yeah,” said Hank, moving to make the call.
ROFL! And Madge's 'damned' before, too. Sorry - another film reference coming up. Have you seen Star Trek 4, when Spock attempts the vernacular while dealing with an odious youth on a bus? I think Kirk has a go, too, but neither of them manage to sound particularly colloquial. It's a fun moment, and so was this. smile

More!

Yvonne
Posted By: NearlyNoelNeill Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/17/05 07:54 AM
Did CC forget to mention that Lois's mother will be played by two different-looking holograms depending upon the wing they are in?

laugh

Rock on, CC.

Sherry
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/17/05 10:55 AM
/me kidnapps Well's time machine... wink

Jose hyper
Posted By: Hazel Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/17/05 11:20 PM
Two FDK posts in one, CC. smile

Surprisingly enough, I'm a *lot* more interested in Madge and Co. than I am in the travails of Lois and Clark. Good grief, woman, if you make me like Herb by the end of this one, I'll never forgive you! goofy

I love how new and original this is, how Madge tries to manipulate Tempus and the way your Utopia works. I did feel anguish for Lois, and more for Clark at this shocking discovery of his roots. But really, I'm much more intrigued by what Madge and Co. are doing than in Lois and Clark spinning in circles. MORE, and soon!

Hazel
Posted By: rivka Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/18/05 12:19 AM
Good grief, woman, if you make me like Herb by the end of this one, I'll never forgive you!
I, however, will pay extra. Double, even! laugh
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/18/05 03:57 AM
Hi CC,

I think I'll just copy Yvonne and say WOW! wink

Can't wait till the next post.

Yours Jenni
Posted By: Anonymous Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/18/05 09:02 AM
You post on the weekend you get late TJ fdk, but as usual thumbsup clap
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/18/05 09:04 AM
CC

WOW! smile1

Tricia cool
Posted By: CC Aiken Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/19/05 12:18 PM
This is so great! Thank you for still being here and for your continued comments!

I hardly know where to start in responding, which, again, is the very best sort of problem to have.

I promise I won't do this every single time, but some of these remarks are just too good to pass up.

First and foremost, this:
emotional and kooky
Oh, Helga, that is so perfect. And, really, if we can all adopt that as our motto for this entire fic, I think we'll get along famously! Sums it up just right.

On the subject of kooky:
Most secret organizations are usually behind the dry cleaners. I thought it was very imaginative to have them behind a bakery!
Loved this! And Chris's sewing machine shop, Jen's sports academy. I nearly chickened out on the bakery detail, for fear that pushed the absurd-envelope a tad too far. So, thanks to Sherry, behind the scenes whip-cracking reader, for assuring me it was very Get Smart and I should just go for it.

Speaking of going...
Wait is Madge going somwhere
You know, that needs tweaking. Thank you for that. Madge is pretty certain she's going to lose her job- be demoted or fired since this is all on her head. However, that was really vague, so I appreciate the catch!

And as for Madge:
I'm much more intrigued by what Madge and Co. are doing than in Lois and Clark spinning in circles.
I'm so glad to hear that, Hazel! Many times I tried to remind Madge she was a *secondary* character, all the while she was wrestling the plot from me and running off with it.

Other really, *really* good things... on which I have no comment. None whatsoever. (Though some of you are doing the mind-reading thing.)

A full-time job, absolutely. Maybe they need a few more committee members, since they haven't been entirely successful in the past.
we still have the somewhat sinister undercurrent of the Peacekeepers and their 'true' agenda, an agenda that has to be kept from the general populous. Typical, Utopia is this supposed idyllic place to live... but at what price is it maintained?
However, that whole Peacekeepers bit has some horrifying possibilities. I'm worried that the lifelines are tied to L&C's existence.
The one thing that always bothered me when Tempus would try to stop Utopia from becoming a reality in the future was: Wouldn't he also keep himself from being born?
Love all of these, but that's all I'm saying.

As for the name 'Petal.' Thank you, Y. I had no idea it was an endearment. I just liked the sound of it. The kind of name a parent in Utopia might call their child- and less obvious than Flower or Sunshine. As for 'Odias Sinders'. Yay! I'm particulary proud of that one. Though it just sort of fell out of my fingers onto the keyboard, so I'm not certain I can take credit.

Last and finally:
And I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop - it's obvious that Lois is going to see or hear something soon which tells her that Superman is actually her lowly, annoying, foisted-upon-her junior partner at the Planet.
Wait no more, part 4 is on the way!

And, again, *thank you* so much to everyone who read and commented. sloppy

I can't tell you how very much I appreciate your good words! I'm grateful!

CC
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/20/05 11:37 AM
Wheee! Look at me! Finally on part threee!!

She wouldn’t cry. And she wouldn’t kill him. Not yet. Not until she figured out how he had done this. First, she would find him, and work out what sort of head trick he was playing on her. What kind of alien powers built an entire... wing ... dedicated to her utter humiliation. And then forced her to play the part of... herself... and watch it.
Awwwww!!! So sad that she's blaming Clark! But... I guess I can't blame her. What is she supposed to think? And oh, good god... what is she going to think (of him?) when she sees the... the... Happily Ever After Wing? (or whatever you'll call it) Now I'm scared. frown

Things she had thought she had out grown, that couldn’t hurt her any more.
Love this line! And ouch! frown

Again Lois stopped and took a closer look at her surroundings. The building had emptied out long ago when the announcement for closing time had been made. Along with the call for all cast members to return their costumes before leaving.
Closing time??? It's closing time and we haven't been allowed to see poor Clark?? razz

He didn’t argue. “Ok. I’m going to sit right here, Lois.” He pointed to a bench along the sidewalk. “Here. At the corner of...” He glanced at the street signs. “Sunny Street and Happy Way,” he read in disbelief, his eyebrows rising into his hairline.
*gulp*

He didn’t have to wait long for her to return. It took every ounce of control in him not to stand and go to meet her when he heard her coming. Her heart was beating painfully fast and her soft, jerking sobs ripped straight through him. Clark closed his eyes and held himself still. He didn’t want to scare her any more than she already was.
Awwwww!!!! And she's going to think he did it. mecry I hope he can talk some sense into her. frown

“Should have waited until you swallowed,” he said with some chagrin.

“You think?” she wheezed.
Oops. <g>

She remembered how he had looked when she found him the previous evening. That hadn’t been an act, then. He had clearly been moved by what he had seen. And maybe as shaken as she’d been.
Awwwwww!!!

“I didn’t.” He looked embarrassed. “Eventually my group got tired of waiting on me and struck out on their own. I was just... frozen there. I couldn’t read enough, couldn’t watch enough. Couldn’t take it all in well enough. Basically, I walked ten paces into that room and never moved again.”
Wow! Yeah... don’t blame him.

Well, he wasn’t Jimmy Olsen, but his timing wasn’t the only thing eerily familiar about him.
ROTFL!!!!!

Except on Wednesdays, which was two-for-one donut day.
*snork*!!

There was a committee that worked round the clock brainstorming just that very thing. The Places to Drop Tempus Safely committee, or PDTS, had been dragged out of bed in the middle of the night and told to get to work.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!! rotflol

“Prehistoric North America. The Dakotas, to be exact. Tough winters, but plenty of game to sustain him. And maybe when it gets cold enough, he’ll feel more like chatting. ”
*snicker* <g>

Madge sat back and sipped on her coffee. She wasn’t surprised. This is what she had been waiting for. “Call upstairs,” she said to Hank, who was standing, frozen, staring at the monitors. “And see if they can find that damned Wells.”
Whoo, yeah. No kidding.

Anna, Hank, and Petal all turned startled faces in her direction, pale and shaky, pupils dilated. Poor kids. First the dip in the lifelines and now this. “Sorry,” she said, smiling brightly. “I read that word somewhere. Seemed appropriate for just this situation.”

“Hell, yeah,” said Hank, moving to make the call.
LOL! What have you done, CC?? The Utopians are cursing! <g>

Great, great, great, great, great, high-class, first-rate stuff, CC!!!!

Amazing writing. Tangible emotions. That little touch of humor to keep us sane. And... really, still blown away by the premise!!! eek

Sara (who's hoping to catch up on this... maybe today... we'll see)
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: FDK: In a Better Place, Part 3 - 04/20/05 11:47 AM
Wendy said:

And I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop - it's obvious that Lois is going to see or hear something soon which tells her that Superman is actually her lowly, annoying, foisted-upon-her junior partner at the Planet.
Egads!!!! eek *How* could I have forgotten that???? Here I was thinking... *snicker*... ain't she going to be surprised that they're married. Hello, Sara!!! Duh! She doesn't know yet! :p

Anyway...

Sara :rolleyes:
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards