Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 12:45 PM
Any comments? Just a little idea that came to me while I was at work today. I hope you like it. wink
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 12:49 PM
[Linked Image] That's fantastic! And well deserved for the pushy wedding guest. Well done. Thanks for today's giggle. clap
Posted By: Christina Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 01:27 PM
LOL. Honestly, I've often wondered how the conversation between Lana and Clark happened that got her the invite in the first place?
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 03:16 PM
<snicker> <giggle> Shame on you Lois! That is so mean! <guffaw> You should be ashamed of yourself! ( thumbsup

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 04:23 PM
I'm with Lois.

A pushy ex-girlfriend who wrangles a late invitation to a wedding is not to be trusted.

Great story!

Corrina.
Posted By: Annie B. Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 04:56 PM
I lol'd. Lois sending Lana to the Metropolis Sewage Reclamation facility? Sounds like a good plan to get rid of a potential rival. laugh
Posted By: robinson Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 04:56 PM
what a hoot! I loved it. Totally unexpected and original.
Posted By: John Lambert Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/21/13 05:06 PM
clap I should have figured that is where Lois would send Lana, but I didn't until the mosquito was mentioned.

On the other hand, I don't know why Lois would do that, Lana never seemed a real threat in LnC, but it was a fun story none the less.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 12:40 AM
clap That was hilarious! I think Lois was well within her right. She may know that nothing Lana does to steal Clark away will ever amount to anything, but that doesn't mean she can't have a little fun with it! Besides, Clark did it himself, so he's got no excuse! :p I can just imagine Lana forcing her way in, though....
Posted By: lovesuper97 Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 02:11 AM
rotflol rotflol rotflol would done that too
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 04:28 AM
Hmmm. I have gone to a few weddings where the bride should have done this! LOL! Nice job! thumbsup
Posted By: Framework4 Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 06:09 AM
Delightful.
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.: I can see this leading into the first fight of the marriage.
Should have been a premarriage fight err, discussion. Who invites ex-s to the wedding?
Aside from cases where they were not really ex-s, such as the guy whose date fell for his roommate and the like.
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 07:39 AM
Cute!
cool
Artemis
Posted By: SJH Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 09:29 AM
Lana kinda invited herself. Mr. Nice guy didn't have the nerve to just say no. How do you un-invite someone any how?
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Framework4:
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.: I can see this leading into the first fight of the marriage.
Should have been a premarriage fight err, discussion. Who invites ex-s to the wedding?
Aside from cases where they were not really ex-s, such as the guy whose date fell for his roommate and the like.
This story tells us very little about this Lana's relationship with Clark. We have no idea, based upon this story, what the Lana of this universe is like, or whether she was as pushy as alt-Lana or, presumably, canon-Lana. We don't know whether she invited herself (as did canon-Lana) or whether Clark invited her.

I agree that the conversation regarding who should be invited should have taken place pre-wedding. But reading between the lines in the story, the two had agreed to invite her. Although Lois did not wish to do so, she had apparently conceded the invitation. She either should have "had it out with Clark" before the wedding or else, having agreed to invite Lana, she should have sent an honest invitation. What she did was passive-aggressive and, frankly, is a horrible start to the marriage, IMHO.

That being said, I still found the story hysterical.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: KenJ Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 10:38 AM
Oh, I don't know about that.

They weren't invited, but when I was married the girl I dumped for my wife and my wife's ex-husband showed up - together. They were married a few months later. We were not invited and did not attend.
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 02:02 PM
Thanks for all of the comments.

Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[Linked Image] That's fantastic! And well deserved for the pushy wedding guest. Well done. Thanks for today's giggle. thumbsup

Joy,
Lynn
I'm glad you liked it. The likeliness of a fight is why I ended the scene before Clark actually found out where Lois had sent Lana. I didn't want to turn what was supposed to be a funny story into a depressing one.

Originally posted by Female Hawk:
I'm with Lois.

A pushy ex-girlfriend who wrangles a late invitation to a wedding is not to be trusted.

Great story!

Corrina.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I agree that Lana was probably not to be trusted.

Originally posted by Annie B.:
I lol'd. Lois sending Lana to the Metropolis Sewage Reclamation facility? Sounds like a good plan to get rid of a potential rival. laugh
I'm glad you thought it was funny. That's one way to successfully take care of a rival.

Originally posted by robinson:
what a hoot! I loved it. Totally unexpected and original.
Thanks. I'm glad you found the ending to be unexpected and the story to be original.

Originally posted by John Lambert:
clap I should have figured that is where Lois would send Lana, but I didn't until the mosquito was mentioned.
I threw that reference of the mosquito in there as a subtle hint as to where Lana was. Glad you caught it.

Originally posted by Mouserocks:
clap That was hilarious! I think Lois was well within her right. She may know that nothing Lana does to steal Clark away will ever amount to anything, but that doesn't mean she can't have a little fun with it! Besides, Clark did it himself, so he's got no excuse! :p I can just imagine Lana forcing her way in, though....
I'm glad you found it to be hilarious. Clark really can't protest too much since he did the same thing to Lois.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 02:02 PM
Originally posted by KenJ:
They weren't invited, but what I was married the girl I dumped for my wife and my wife's ex-husband showed up - together. They were married a few months later. We were not invited and did not attend.
Wait, Ken. Your ex and your now-wife's ex-husband showed up to YOUR wedding without being invited? rotflol funny, because I think Lana was deserving of this for her actions. Clark owes Lois big-time too for allowing himself to be such a pushover to his ex-girlfriend. Is he going to let Lana stay with them the next time she's in Metropolis for a visit? He needed to stand up to Lana at some point and this would have been the perfect opportunity. Although, since Clois probably snubbed Lana at the ARGH wedding reception, having no idea who she was, that might have taken care of that possibility.
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 02:04 PM
Originally posted by lovesuper97:
thumbsup
I'm glad you liked it. Thanks.

Originally posted by Framework4:
Delightful.
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:[b] I can see this leading into the first fight of the marriage.
Aside from cases where they were not really ex-s, such as the guy whose date fell for his roommate and the like. [/b]
I agree. This is definitely a discussion they should have had before the wedding. Of course, the story wouldn't have been as funny if Lana had been simply uninvited.

Originally posted by Artemis:
Cute!
cool
Artemis
Thanks. I'm glad you found the story to be cute.

Originally posted by SJH:
Lana kinda invited herself. Mr. Nice guy didn't have the nerve to just say no. How do you un-invite someone any how?
Good point. Lana did sort of invite herself from what we know from the show, and it would have been somewhat awkward to tell her she was uninvited. Of course, Lois' solution won't make things any less awkward the next time she and Clark see Lana.

Originally posted by KenJ:
Oh, I don't know about that.

They weren't invited, but what I was married the girl I dumped for my wife and my wife's ex-husband showed up - together. They were married a few months later. We were not invited and did not attend.
Wow, I really can't imagine showing up to an ex's wedding uninvited. Even with an invitation, I'm not sure I'd want to go because things could still feel uncomfortable for all parties involved.
Posted By: LMA Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 02:37 PM
Great story! And I didn't catch on that it would be the Sewage Reclamation facility till the end either...great way to end it--definitely had me party

It was probably--no, make that obviously-- pretty rude of Lois to address Lana's invite to the sewage facility--and to do it behind Clark's back isn't great either--but...I was still happy she did so smile . You don't just invite yourself to someone's wedding (especially your ex's)--and she would have known that Clark was too polite to say 'no'.

And, like was mentioned earlier--Clark did send Lois there when they were getting to know each other...he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

Thanks for a fun read--loved it smile
Posted By: KenJ Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 03:01 PM
They left before the reception and I didn't know about it until after the ceremony. My sister told me afterwards.
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 04:45 PM
I don't see this situation as the same as what Clark did to Lois. Here Lois is being downright mean and nasty in sending Lana an invitation to an event she was expecting to be welcome to attend. Clark sent Lois deliberately bad information, but she should have thought twice before acting on it. I don't think Clark is innocent by any means, but I see these as two completely different levels of vindictiveness.

Framework4 said:
Who invites ex-s to the wedding?
Both my and my husband's exes were invited to our wedding reception. I think they arrived together, but I doubt it could have been called a date. They were still sort of friends of ours, though we didn't get along with either of them nearly as well as we did before any of us dated each other. I don't think that it's across-the-board unacceptable for an ex to be invited. It depends on how the breakup went and what the current relationship is like.

We don't have much info on cannon-Clark's relationship with Lana. Most L&C fans seem to paint Lana as a witch based on alt-Lana, but I've read enough comics with Lana in them where she's still Clark's friend, or they managed to reestablish their friendship a few years after the breakup, so I don't see her as necessarily a villain. If Lana is as awful as she's painted to be, then Clark should not have invited her. I'm not sure why he would have even been in contact with her. If he and Lana managed to still be friends and kept in contact enough for him to invite her voluntarily, then Lois should have been gracious enough to accept that and let her come.

I can enjoy this short on a purely comedic level, but it raises so many questions and really makes Lois look like a beast. I'd like to see a story that sets up some situation where Lois sending Lana to the sewage reclamation facility is actually an acceptable response. Maybe Lana was stalking them or something? Or maybe Lana wasn't invited, but they were afraid that she'd crash the party rather spectacularly, so they made sure the wrong info was leaked to her?
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 06:23 PM
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
We don't have much info on cannon-Clark's relationship with Lana. Most L&C fans seem to paint Lana as a witch based on alt-Lana, but I've read enough comics with Lana in them where she's still Clark's friend, or they managed to reestablish their friendship a few years after the breakup, so I don't see her as necessarily a villain. If Lana is as awful as she's painted to be, then Clark should not have invited her. I'm not sure why he would have even been in contact with her. If he and Lana managed to still be friends and kept in contact enough for him to invite her voluntarily, then Lois should have been gracious enough to accept that and let her come.
From Tempus Anyone? (very beginning scene), canon Clark describes Lana as the following:

CLARK: Funny you should mention that. I ran into an old friend last night.
So, it sounds like he just 'bumped' into her, not that they've been close friends or in contact.

The rest of the conversation about Lana, goes as follows:
LOIS: So happy she'd like to come to the wedding.

CLARK: How'd you know?

LOIS: And how'd she take it?

CLARK: Take what?

LOIS: When you said, no.

CLARK: Ummm. Hm.

LOIS: Clark.

CLARK: Well, you have to know Lana...

LOIS: No, no, I don't, interestingly enough.

CLARK: She's kind of... insistent; just steamrolls through things, so it's not like I actually said she could come, she just sort of... said... she could... come.

LOIS: Let me get this straight. You're Superman. And your high school girlfriend can push you around.
So, technically, Lana invited herself; Clark didn't invite her. In her defense, super-wimpo there didn't say "no" either.

I don't think LnC's Lana fits the nice Lana stereotype from the comics or Superman: The Movie (III specifically) films.
Posted By: LMA Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 06:52 PM
True--Clark giving Lois faulty info, which she chose to follow up on, which led her to the Sewage Rec. Facility, is different than Lana getting an invite with that address...Why would she NOT think that the address for the wedding is correct? (meanwhile Lois knows info/leads aren't always great, which then leads her to the sewage facility).

I am one of those that probably lumps Canon Lana and Alt. Lana together as about the same character....and basically the only reason is from the scene mentioned above--she came across as a bit much--as did Alt. Lana in TA. There isn't a lot to go on from what L&C discuss, but I just sorta got a feeling of '"I don't like that woman" out of it (Lois' take on Mrs. Cox in HOL, I believe--love that line blush ....so honest!)...

Random last thought....we actually invited my ex to our wedding. I think it totally depends on the previous relationship and the current relationship. I broke up with the ex (of three plus years) b/c of different future 'wants'--it was a healthy breakup w/o any hostility and we decided to be friends. A few years later I met my (future) husband, told him on our first date about the friendship, they met up multiple times and we all double dated/etc. By the time the wedding rolled around, it wasn't much of a conversation to have--BUT we did have the conversation as we were making out our guest list...My husband was great about the friendship with the ex b/c he knew he had nothing to worry about--and he's a pretty wonderful guy blush
Posted By: Annie B. Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/22/13 09:57 PM
As far as an ex coming to a wedding goes...it depends on the situation. I was best woman at an ex-boyfriend's wedding (we split up when he came out of the closet). We had stayed friends over the years, and I was happy when he found Mr. Right.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/23/13 04:50 AM
Depending on how the break-up went it is possible to have an ex at a wedding. It shows a very special level of maturity on the part of both individuals.

Clark had reached that level of maturity, he was/is completely secure in his relationship with Lois. Whereas Lana heard about his upcoming nupitals and *pushed* to be invited. Who knows what havoc she might have caused if she did show up? Also, most of the time people like that bring along a 'date' to show the ex someone loves them. Something I am surprised she did not do here. If she had, no doubt Ellen would have been right to send Lana to the sewage plant! smile1
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/23/13 04:59 PM
Originally posted by LMA:
Great story! And I didn't catch on that it would be the Sewage Reclamation facility till the end either...great way to end it--definitely had me party
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the ending was a surprise to you, and I'm glad you had fun reading the story.

It was probably--no, make that obviously-- pretty rude of Lois to address Lana's invite to the sewage facility--and to do it behind Clark's back isn't great either--but...I was still happy she did so smile . You don't just invite yourself to someone's wedding (especially your ex's)--and she would have known that Clark was too polite to say 'no'.
You pretty much summed up my own thoughts on the matter here. Neither Lois nor Lana was in the right. Lois shouldn't have sent out a fake invitation, but Lana shouldn't have invited herself to Clark's wedding, either.

I don't see this situation as the same as what Clark did to Lois. Here Lois is being downright mean and nasty in sending Lana an invitation to an event she was expecting to be welcome to attend. Clark sent Lois deliberately bad information, but she should have thought twice before acting on it. I don't think Clark is innocent by any means, but I see these as two completely different levels of vindictiveness.
I don't believe the situations are identical, but I believe that Lois would be unlikely to see the difference. I think if Clark were to tell her she'd done something wrong, she'd likely immediately respond by reminding him of the fact that he once did the same thing to her.

You raise a few interesting points here. I don't think how Lana's been portrayed in the comics necessarily needs to be taken into consideration when writing fanfic since what was on the show didn't always line up with the comics. What I think is more important is portraying her in a way that fits into how the show portrayed her. Like you said, the show never gave us too much information to go on about Lana's personality, and I think that that is what makes it easy for fanfic writers to do as they please with her character. Personally, I don't see a problem with a writer either choosing to portray her as 'a witch' or as a good friend so long as it is done well.

I can enjoy this short on a purely comedic level, but it raises so many questions and really makes Lois look like a beast. I'd like to see a story that sets up some situation where Lois sending Lana to the sewage reclamation facility is actually an acceptable response. Maybe Lana was stalking them or something? Or maybe Lana wasn't invited, but they were afraid that she'd crash the party rather spectacularly, so they made sure the wrong info was leaked to her?
I'm glad you could enjoy the story on a purely comedic level. That was certainly my intent when writing it, so I feel as if I've accomplished my goal so long as most people found it to be funny.

I will admit that Lois was mean in this story, but I will also say that I think describing her as a beast might be going a little too far. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion, but from my perspective, I saw both Lois and Lana as being in the wrong. Maybe it was Lois who was more wrong or maybe Lana was more wrong. That's debatable. However, based on the quotes Virginia provided, I do believe that Lana invited herself where she wasn't wanted, so I don't see her as too much of a victim.

Anyways, I do want to thank you for the feedback. It was very much appreciated.

As for the discussion as to whether or not it is OK to invite an ex to a wedding, I agree with those who said that it depends on the situation. As long as all parties involved are fine with it, I see nothing wrong with it.
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/23/13 08:35 PM
Lois_Lane_Fan said:
I don't think how Lana's been portrayed in the comics necessarily needs to be taken into consideration when writing fanfic since what was on the show didn't always line up with the comics.
You're right, of course, the show didn't match the comics as far as Lana is concerned, and fanfic can go any way the author wants. (That's the fun of it, right?) The comics I've read influence the way I see the character, though. I tend to think of her the other ways I've seen her portrayed rather than the way she appears on L&C. This makes me more sympathetic to Lana, I think, than most L&C fans.
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 10/24/13 11:46 AM
Lois_Lane_Fan said:
I don't think how Lana's been portrayed in the comics necessarily needs to be taken into consideration when writing fanfic since what was on the show didn't always line up with the comics.
You're right, of course, the show didn't match the comics as far as Lana is concerned, and fanfic can go any way the author wants. (That's the fun of it, right?) The comics I've read influence the way I see the character, though. I tend to think of her the other ways I've seen her portrayed rather than the way she appears on L&C. This makes me more sympathetic to Lana, I think, than most L&C fans.
I completely agree that fanfic going any way the writer wants is part of the fun.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 11/03/13 01:21 PM
Hi Fan!
Ex-Girlfriends
Hmm…

Note: This story assumes that Lois and Clark got married in season three instead of season four and that they weren’t interrupted by frog-eating clones or anything else.
Ooooh! Directly on to the Curse? wink

“I can’t believe Lana didn’t show up. She seemed so excited when I talked to her on the phone.”
Ooooh!

Lois continued to giggle. “Of course I did. It’s just that Lana got a special invitation.”
Oh?

“Well, let’s just say that when men invite their ex-girlfriends to their weddings, sometimes future wives have to get creative.”
Now now, Lo-is!

“I’ve explained it to you a thousand times,” he said, trying to sound as calm as possible, but still sounding annoyed. “There is no wedding going on here today.”
So, where is she?

Lana tapped her foot impatiently and swatted at a mosquito that had landed on her shoulder.
[Linked Image]

“Lady, I keep trying to tell you,” the security guard replied. “This is the Metropolis Sewage Reclamation Facility. We don’t hold weddings here. Nobody in their right mind would even want to have their wedding here.”
Yes, but what if someone *did* organize a wedding at this illustrious location? I hear it will become a famously romantic spot in about 200 years down the road – the place where Superman first played a practical joke on his future wife.
LOIS: First? What do you mean by *first*?

Lana rolled her eyes in disbelief. “Do I have to speak to your manager?”
She is quite persistent, that one. Maybe it *is* a good thing she didn’t get invited to the Honeymoon.

Fun vigi!

wave Michael
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan Re: FDK: Ex-Girlfriends (1/1) - 11/06/13 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
Yes, but what if someone *did* organize a wedding at this illustrious location? I hear it will become a famously romantic spot in about 200 years down the road – the place where Superman first played a practical joke on his future wife.
LOIS: First? What do you mean by *first*?
rotflol Thanks for the feedback, Michael. I'm glad you enjoyed the short story.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards