Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Sue S. FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/09/12 01:00 PM
I apologize in advance if you were expecting "action" at the end. Sometimes the muse is fickle. huh
Posted By: robinson Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/09/12 02:05 PM
It is perfect just the way it is. Usually I want to see the 'what's next' but for some reason it ends perfectly

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com
Posted By: Cristina Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/09/12 02:33 PM
I loved this, Sue :-). Lois's struggle, how she finally gives in and chooses to apologize and how she pushes Clark until he comes clean. And I think it ends just at the right point.
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/09/12 03:22 PM
Totally awesome, Sue. That's what we all want more of. We're still waiting.
r/
Artemis
Posted By: KenJ Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/09/12 04:14 PM
Sue,

It is absolutely perfect the way it is.

Woderful story! sloppy
Posted By: MrsLuthor Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/09/12 08:08 PM
I'm so swamped right now with first week of school, but I couldn't resist popping in and feasting on this pleasant surprise!

Love me some Sue Fic. <3
Posted By: sarahg Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/09/12 10:13 PM
just what i needed. sigh.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/10/12 03:54 AM
I feel just like Mrs. Luthor and Sarahq...this little story was just what I needed. It was written so well, I could hear Teri and Dean in my head.

Thanks for getting my work week off to a good start! thumbsup
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/10/12 06:16 AM
Awwww, thank you! blush I haven't been in writing kind of place for the past month or so. Thanks for making me feel like I haven't totally lost it. sloppy
Posted By: Sydney Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/10/12 08:27 AM
Wonderful story!

wave
Posted By: -Mariel- Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/10/12 01:16 PM
Loved reading it, lovely story. thumbsup
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/11/12 07:51 AM
Yay a Sue story. I loved it. Keep on writing! Laura
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/11/12 10:46 AM
Sue, I don't know whether to kiss you or yell at you for writing this while you know you have other things waiting for you. Fortunately this was too wonderful for me to want to yell at you. Just beautiful. Loved every word and I agree it ended just perfectly. sloppy

Jackie
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/11/12 02:22 PM
Feels a bit like fall today. I need a summer story. Oh look! Here's one! laugh

"The ferry can't dock until the next high tide. And that's not until seven-thirty tomorrow morning."
Oooh! Spending the night together someplace!

It hurts even more when I think about the last time we were stuck on an island together.
Yes. That *was* quite delicious...

"There's a B&B up the hill," he shouts in our direction. "You can get a room there."
Oooh! Cozy accomodations!

"Because we need to talk."
<nods>

"Stranded us here. This interview was your idea. You knew the ferry schedule. You knew we'd get stuck here, didn't you?"
Now that could be fun! evil But, I'm gonna go with he had no idea.

even if I never trust him with my heart again.
laugh

But no, he knew it was me before he opened the door or he would have put on his glasses.
Good point.

Oh god, oh god -- I'm alone with Clark in a romantic hotel room.
laugh

And then, in a week or a month or next year, something's going to happen that makes him freak out and he'll break my heart all over again. I can't be friends with him. I can't be anything with him.
mecry

You were right. I knew the ferry schedule.
jawdrop Naughty, Clark!

He's only two steps away. Two steps that could change both our lives. Two steps that mean I trust him again. Two steps that will seal my fate, one way or another.
Love this!

Delightful little tale. My only quibble is that it had to end. smile
Posted By: KateB Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/12/12 05:13 PM
Wonderful story with a perfect ending. hyper
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/12/12 07:46 PM
Really nice story, Sue. You perfectly captured the essence of their relationship at that time and gave us a wonderful ending.

Corrina.
Posted By: BJ Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/13/12 06:18 AM
Delightful story, Sue. It was angsty and meaty, yet still with a happy ending. Thanks!

For some reason, I kept hoping that Lois wouldn't have to be the bigger person and apologize, but given where they were, it had to be her. I'm glad that she did - isn't that what real relationships are like?

My favorite line was that it wasn't a zero sum game -- there is no winner.

Loved that Clark answered the door without his glasses. It sent the right message.

I could still smack Clark for manipulating Lois into the overnight, but those may be my own issues. I think Lois let him off pretty easily. I know he vowed never to hurt her again, but this behavior seems to be even worse than his making unilateral decisions, especially given her history with Claude and Lex. I'm not sure it would have made a difference, but maybe he should have come clean when Lois called him on it.
huh

I love how you took on such a difficult topic to explore. I don't think that Just Say Noah gave them a resolution that fitted the situation. Thank you for fixing it.

Your story made me wonder how they would have handled the break-up/reconciliation if Lois had become Ultrawoman after Contact but before When Irish Eyes Are Killing.

Again, well done. Don't worry, you've still got it and we still want what you've got.
notworthy

In fact, can I have some?
grovel
B
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/13/12 09:06 AM
Oh, wow! I checked the box to notify me if anyone replied and, at first, I did get notifications. But then a few days passed with nothing so I figured no one was reading. I was thrilled to check this morning and find all sorts of lovely comments!

My thanks to Sydney, Mariel, Laura, and Kate for the support! laugh

Jackie - I'm trying to get back in a writing frame of mind. I'm not sure yelling would help. wink

DC - It feels like fall where I am, too. And I'm exceedingly grateful for that. It's been a long, hot summer. I'm ready to start wearing hoodies and sweaters again.
Yes. That *was* quite delicious...
Good golly, yes! I bravely volunteered to rewatch the campfire scene in 'Ordinary People' about twenty times while doing "research" for this story. drool Yum.
I'm gonna go with he had no idea.
Funnily enough, until the very last draft of this story, he didn't know. And then I realized that he freakin' had to know the schedule. It made a lot more sense to me when he did and that was partially the catalyst to get them talking.
No, actually, that's just his style, regardless of how much groveling he needs to be doing.
I agree. Even if he was furious with her, he'd still retain his chivalry. Thanks so much for the long comments - I was delighted by them!

Corrina - Thanks! The "essence" of their relationship at the time was what I was trying to capture. I'm glad it worked!

Brenda - How wonderful to see you on the boards! dance
I kept hoping that Lois wouldn't have to be the bigger person and apologize
Yeah, you and Lois both. It wasn't easy convincing her to apologize. The first version had them running into each other late that night on the beach, fighting, and then a tense ferry ride in the morning. When it came time to get off the ferry, she realizes he'd flown home rather than stick around and have to spend any more time with her. When I looked at it from Clark's POV, he'd already apologized to her, she was just being spiteful. So it was her turn to swallow some pride.
My favorite line was that it wasn't a zero sum game -- there is no winner.
Aww, me, too. Well, that one and I also like her little panic attack when she realizes she's alone with him in a hotel room and neither one of them are fully dressed. smile
Loved that Clark answered the door without his glasses. It sent the right message.
I love that you picked up on that detail. laugh
I'm not sure it would have made a difference, but maybe he should have come clean when Lois called him on it.
She was much too upset at the time. Now, if he'd manipulated her into sharing a room, she'd be justified in telling him to take a hike.
I love how you took on such a difficult topic to explore.
It wasn't on purpose. I actually had a story written that was post-'House of Luthor'. But then someone posted a similar idea so I started over.
Your story made me wonder how they would have handled the break-up/reconciliation if Lois had become Ultrawoman after Contact but before When Irish Eyes Are Killing.
Does this mean you'll be sending me something soon? sloppy
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/14/12 08:06 AM
What, me, yell? I would never do such a thing. :p You know I love ya, Sue. Have reread High Tide so many times now. I'm just in love with it.

Jackie
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/14/12 11:06 PM
Boy, this site is like a drug, isn't it? I check back just once, one single time to post something, and now I'm hooked again. Grr. This is my only time within the next week though, so I guess I can splurge a little. laugh

Loved this! I think it was perfect just the way it was. Very realistic interactions between them and great emotional exploration. Good job!!
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/16/12 07:21 AM
/carefully reads FDK/
/Is happy to tickle Sue’s inbox with some more FDK notification e-mails smile1 .

What if they had made up someplace that wasn't so musty and owned by a killer?
Oooooh! Second trip to the Honeymoon Suite? Provided that the Lexor wasn’t sold to the Church Group.

I just want to make sure he knows how irritated I am.
I’m sure he knows.

It's bad enough that I had to endure an awkward drive and a long ferry ride to come interview a source who was considerably less forthcoming than we had been led to believe.
That’s where the shaking and the dangling from a rooftop usually come in.

"Seven-thirty," Clark says glumly and avoids meeting my eyes. "The ferry can't dock until the next high tide. And that's not until seven-thirty tomorrow morning."
Ooooooooh!

Clark Kent is the absolute last person on earth I want to be marooned on an island with right now.
Ooooooh! Another island!

Sure, he has since tried to apologize, but he has to be insane to think we could simply pick up right where he abandoned me.
Well, if she hasn’t realized by know that he’s not the smartest alien on the planet, she really is galactically stupid.

"There's a B&B up the hill," he shouts in our direction. "You can get a room there."
Oooooh! /heads over yonder/
hyper Maybe they need to uuuuummm get it out of their system?

"No." I stab the key at the door again and wonder if the guy downstairs gave me the wrong key.
Maybe if she used her lockpick set? Or if she just shares the room with Clark after all, now that she has forced him to splurge?

"Because I didn't want you to touch me," I snarl. "I don't want to be anywhere near you."

I hear his sharp intake of breath. In that instant I realize that I've succeeded in hurting him.
Jackpot! Ummm… frown

I swiftly step inside and shut the door firmly behind me before I can do something stupid like apologize to him.
Awwwww

A door on the right wall is partially open and I can see the tiled floor of the bathroom.
They have indoor plumbing? clap

I guess our breakup isn't a zero sum game, after all. Nobody wins.
Relationships are like the cold war, once you let loose of the a-bomb, it’s all over.

That's right, me apologize to Clark. I want to say 'I'm sorry' to the man who broke my heart.
Yeah, what’s with that? She sure is getting soft on her old days.

Would it be too much to ask to have him bitterly regretting his choices right now?
Yes. He’s quite satisfied with the way he was able to ensure your saftety.

Clark is so stubbornly certain that he's right. It's one of his most irritating qualities.
Now, who else do we know with that trait?

Once he's made a decision, he's impossible to sway.
Only by fully dressed Loises.

Just like the bay outside, my life is at slack tide right now. Nothing's moving. I'm not going forward or backward. One way or another, I need the tide to turn.
Oh dear. What if a tsunami comes with the high tide?

I can't exactly march across the hall and pound on Clark's door, not right now. Certainly not when the only thing I'm wearing is my underwear.
Why not? It sure would get his attention laugh

Does it send the wrong sort of message if I show up at Clark's door in the middle of the night wearing nothing but my panties and a robe?
Is the message “I want to make up. So take me. Take me now.”?

The way he broke up with me was cruel in its abruptness, but even I have to admit that Clark did try to do it gently.
Right. He’s such a darn good guy. She never did slap him, did she?

I see his jaw tighten and then he steps back and, for a heartbreaking second, I think he's about to shut the door.
I’m not convinced the door would survive Lois after that.

"Would you rather we talked in the hall?"
Much safer. Unless makeup sex in a cramped hallway is to be preferred.

My right hand closes over the doorknob behind my back so that I have options for a speedy exit.
/imagines a doe in rut/

"I'm saying I'm sorry." That sounded a little more irritated than remorseful, but he should be glad I'm in here at all.
Yes. He’s just too shocked to know what to do. Right now, he’s trying to decide whether to get out the holy water or x-ray your ankle.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Good. I'll let you get back to sleep then." I turn to leave but, quick-as-that, he's standing next to me with his hand on the door to stop it from opening.
Oooooh! Ooooooh!

I can see it now -- I forgive him and we hug and then we kiss and…
Well…if things escalate he won’t dare to break up again. Lois would tell Martha, and Martha would pull down his britches and tan his hide like cheap leather.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/16/12 07:23 AM
It would only take seconds for us to lose these robes and there's an unmade bed only a few feet away.
[Linked Image]

And then, in a week or a month or next year, something's going to happen that makes him freak out and he'll break my heart all over again. I can't be friends with him. I can't be anything with him.
hyper

wave Michael
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/16/12 11:35 PM
My turn to make Sue's inbox sing!

I thought at first that Lois seemed more harsh (unduely harsh) than I remembered her being (feeling) at the end of Irish Eyes (and /or beginning of Noah), but having taking another look at the episode, I realize that you hit the right note. Clark had hurt her badly at the end of Contact and she's still reeling from it. You always seem to catch the emotional stride of Lois and drag us down into the quicksand with her (pardon my horrible analogy).

I always felt that Clark deserved another chance at the end of Irish Eyes, but he HAD hurt Lois and she was right to be wary of him hurting her again. After every thing they went through with Scardino, freezing her, and her almost getting killed (pick one), I can see why they're both scared. You show Lois's motivations and feelings clearly here, more so than canon did, and at first I was worried I wasn't going to have enough tissue in my house to make it to the end of your story. Please thank your characters for me for insisting that you end your story on a more hopeful note.

I understand that your Clark is feeling a bit over-exposed at the moment, so I completely understand him shutting the door between him and Lois and the Readers... no matter how disappointed we might feel about that. Sometimes a bit of mystery does us good. wink

I feel it's totally in his character to have lied about the ferry schedule to try and force some alone time with Lois. I'm glad he admitted it to her though... eventually. clap

No, I doubt Clark would have expected them to share a room. He's a good moral man, and though he is attracted to Lois (VERY attracted) he's less likely to *think* making up with Lois would mean she would tempt him to lose his v... very patient status. (Although he'll be the first to admit that it was a very nice bonus indeed.)

Clark waves back and then turns to face me. "It's a small island, Lois. People are going to notice if you don't get on the ferry with me tomorrow."
Or she could have suggested that he fly them both back in the morning. But, of course, that would defeat the point of this story.

"I'm not about to share a room with you."

"I'm sure we can get separate rooms."
I'm sure Clark could fly himself back to the mainland for the night and come back for her in the morning, if they only had one room.

I wonder if a part of Clark misses his secret identity status with Lois, when she didn't know he was Superman and could wisk her home if they got stuck on an island... and he would have a legitament excuse for not flying her home.

He sighs, but his gaze never wavers from mine. "Because we need to talk."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Oh my god. You did this on purpose, didn't you?"

"Did what?" He has the gall to look confused.

"Stranded us here. This interview was your idea. You knew the ferry schedule. You knew we'd get stuck here, didn't you?"

Clark glances down and runs a frustrated hand through his hair. "It doesn't matter what I say, you're not going to believe me."
LOIS: So, that's a 'yes' I take it?

I let out an exasperated sigh. I'm in no mood to share my life story. "We missed the ferry. Do you have two rooms or don't you?"
[Linked Image]Michael, it's Lois, not Clark, who says this line... so totally in character with her and her upbringing. wink

I feel an irk of irritation that he's giving me the better view. Does he think that he can win me back with kindness? Fat chance, Kent.
Wouldn't it irk her more if he took the room with the better view? This is a lose/lose argument. She's going to find fault in everything he does, isn't she?

Would it be too much to ask to have him bitterly regretting his choices right now?

Even as I think about that possibility, I know it's not happening. Clark is so stubbornly certain that he's right.
Umm... Didn't Clark already admit that he was wrong at the end of Irish Eyes?

I can't exactly march across the hall and pound on Clark's door, not right now. Certainly not when the only thing I'm wearing is my underwear.
I'm sure he won't complain, if he can get a conherient word out of his mouth.

Does it send the wrong sort of message if I show up at Clark's door in the middle of the night wearing nothing but my panties and a robe?
Nope, just another reminder of what Clark gave up by breaking her heart at the end of Contact.

Or, even worse, that he won't talk to me at all. He may choose to slam the door in my face.
Clark?

"I promise," he whispers near my ear. "Never again."

I absolutely believe him.
clap
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: High Tide 1/1 - 09/17/12 12:53 PM
quote: I let out an exasperated sigh. I'm in no mood to share my life story. "We missed the ferry. Do you have two rooms or don't you?"

- Michael, it's Lois, not Clark, who says this line... so totally in character with her and her upbringing.
Duh! I was apparently so much into CLARK-mode that I just kept extrapolating. wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards