Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159920 08/04/08 12:16 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Here is an interesting article on the word "I" and why we capitalize it. What are your thoughts on this one?

[Was trying to fix that ridiculously long url so that it doesn't distort the thread, but it didn't work. laugh - LabRat]

[Bahaha, I fixed it for you - Jojo]

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#159921 08/04/08 12:41 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Facinating! Thanks for sharing that link!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
#159922 08/04/08 04:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was taught that because it was a single letter representing yourself that it needed to be capitalized so it didn't look like part of another word. That would fit this quote from the article:

The generally accepted linguistic explanation for the capital ā€œIā€ is that it could not stand alone, uncapitalized, as a single letter, which allows for the possibility that early manuscripts and typography played a major role in shaping the national character of English-speaking countries.
~~~~~

Modern e-mail culture has shown that many English speakers feel perfectly comfortable dismissing all uses of capitalization ā€” and even correct spelling, for that matter.
I don't. I hate when people don't capitalize. I'm okay with abbreviations, but I hate it when capitals aren't used. It seems kind of lazy to me. But then I guess some folks would say abbreviations like LOL is lazy, too.

A very good friend of mine is an English teacher and she says that eventually there won't be any punctuation whatsoever in the written English language. Sad, isn't it?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#159923 08/05/08 09:11 AM
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
lol i thot it wuz gr8

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard