Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: jojo_da_crow i? - 08/04/08 04:16 PM
Here is an interesting article on the word "I" and why we capitalize it. What are your thoughts on this one?

[Was trying to fix that ridiculously long url so that it doesn't distort the thread, but it didn't work. laugh - LabRat]

[Bahaha, I fixed it for you - Jojo]
Posted By: groobie Re: i? - 08/04/08 04:41 PM
Facinating! Thanks for sharing that link!
Posted By: Classicalla Re: i? - 08/04/08 08:57 PM
I was taught that because it was a single letter representing yourself that it needed to be capitalized so it didn't look like part of another word. That would fit this quote from the article:

The generally accepted linguistic explanation for the capital ā€œIā€ is that it could not stand alone, uncapitalized, as a single letter, which allows for the possibility that early manuscripts and typography played a major role in shaping the national character of English-speaking countries.
~~~~~

Modern e-mail culture has shown that many English speakers feel perfectly comfortable dismissing all uses of capitalization ā€” and even correct spelling, for that matter.
I don't. I hate when people don't capitalize. I'm okay with abbreviations, but I hate it when capitals aren't used. It seems kind of lazy to me. But then I guess some folks would say abbreviations like LOL is lazy, too.

A very good friend of mine is an English teacher and she says that eventually there won't be any punctuation whatsoever in the written English language. Sad, isn't it?
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: i? - 08/05/08 01:11 PM
lol i thot it wuz gr8
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards