Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Gah! I tried to post twice and instead I accidentally close it!

I loved how Lois didn't have the sexual attraction component to Luthor so all the pheromone did was bring out her other OTP: Lois/Journalism.

I loved the kiss between Clark and Lois. The tension between them was obvious. I'm actually surprised they were able to battle that attraction.

I'm also surprised Henderson didn't assign someone to them or personally tell them outright not to open the door for anyone but him or an assigned person to them. Then again, it wouldn't have furthered the plot too much (at least when it comes to a confrontation between Lois and Luthor).

Oh Lois and those stilettos. I'm kind of surprised she didn't get rid of her $1000 hand-beaten leather shoes as soon as she staged her abduction.

He steps toward me, all traces of friendliness gone. "I own you, Lois. I paid a million dollars to win you over. You're mine by marriage contract."
And here it where I let another favorite character speak for me.

"Marriage should be a stalemate between equal adversaries."
-Amelia Peabody-Emerson
The thing Luthor did wrong was assume the battle was over with the institution of marriage "binding them." That legal paper is nothing more than the rules of battle, and he didn't realize it until WAY too late. I doubt he ever would have.

I bring my wrists in front of me and see that the knot didn't come undone after all; it was cleanly cut in two. The singed edges on the rope can only mean one thing; Clark is here. My heart delights in the knowledge that my partner is here - my caring, intelligent and completely insane partner. What the hell is he doing here? He *knew* that Lex had the Kryptonite.
Trying to make sure she at least has a fighting chance against Luthor.

"You are nothing compared to Superman. He's good and kind and he
will beat you before you even know the war has started."

Lex's eyes narrow and I immediately regret my words. My impetuous and passionate statement is a virtual confession that I know and care about Superman. Oh, god. Lex is right. No matter the danger to him, Clark won't allow anyone to hurt me if he can help it. It doesn't matter that the Kryptonite is here; he'll come to my rescue no matter what.
And this is where Lois and Clark/Superman's soul-pairing become evident.

I find the irony in Lex's words funny and a short bark of laughter escapes before I can answer him. "Believe me Lex, I'd choose Clark over you or Superman any day. I feel more excitement in one kiss from Clark than I ever felt for you."
And here she makes it sound like they've done more than they actually have, especially to Luthor's ears.

Trask was definitely a surprise. Two crazed men facing each other, basically turning like feral cats. Luthor's death being at his hand was a turn I didn't expect.

Poor Clark getting shot in a tender spot. I'm sure he's not going to live that one down.

I find it interesting that she was able to get Mr. Stern involved. I almost think he approached her and she allowed him to take it at "bargain basement" price as long as he rebuilt the Daily Planet. Then again, it would seem weird to think of Lois accepting the first offer, no matter how much she hated Luthor. Think he knows that she was the benefactor?

I smile as the new copy boy runs for
the stairwell at near super-speed.
I just had a cute image of Clark during his internship days.

And so it ends quite WAFFily with Lois and Clark going on their first real date and ending it with a makeout session on her couch and Lois and Clark working side-by-side to report the news. And here I quote another Peabodyism that I'm sure Lois and Clark would concur with:

"All's fair in love, war and journalism."

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
One of the things that I really enjoyed about this story is that Lois got to take an active role in the investigation into Lex. The fact that she was left out of the investigation that Clark, Jimmy, Perry, and Jack conducted on the show was one of the only things that bothered me about the season one finale. It was nice to see Lois' reporter's instincts finally kick in unlike how it was on the show where Lex was able to pull the wool over her eyes up until the very end. I also liked that she was able to figure out that Luthor was a criminal on her own instead of having to be told by someone else. It seemed more plausible that an award-winning investigative journalist would have been able to figure out the truth about Lex on her own at some point.

whinging Perry's death made me so sad. The fact that Lex actually killed Perry, a close friend of Lois', made this Lex even more villainous than he usual is portrayed. In fact, the Lex in this story was in general much more unlikeable than the Lex from the series. I think his one redeeming trait on the show was that he did seem to love Lois, even though it was a twisted love. Since this Lex didn't even love her at all, it made him seem even more diabolical to me.

I loved the faceoff between Trask and Lex, and I was very surprised when Trask killed Lex. shock I was expecting Lex to end up serving jail time at the end of the story. That makes two of our fanfic club reading selections where the death of Lex caught me by surprise.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I had read this sometime last summer. I recalled really liking it and the general gist (Lois married to Lex, Clark and Superman living in SanFran, death of Perry in the DP explosion, Lois and Clark teaming up to investigate Lex after Lois stumbles onto Lex's secret empire), but I had totally forgotten about Trask. clap

I love her telling Jimmy as she's spying on Clark working at his desk at the Chronicle how handsome and sexy Clark is and thinking "He can *hear* you." clap applaud for bravery... you don't see that often where it works, and it certainly does here), the Reader can clearly see how Clark feels by his glances. I am in envy of how well BJ writes the physicality, little character traits, which make the characters come alive and pop off the page: For Clark: the clenched jaw, the tick by his eye, the darkening of his eyes as he stared into Lois's. With Lois: her swooning because of a soft touch, or a smell, or the pulse at his throat, all things we usually attribute to Clark super-sensing from Lois. notworthy

The revelation in the closet is hilarious as Lois caresses the cape and imagines Clark lying naked on silk sheets (for some reason, the Clark I pictured looked directly into the camera and gave me a "Really? Me? Can you believe her?" look of sarcasm at this daydream.) only to find the shoulder harness at the end of the cape and go "What IS this?" rotflol And, then, poor Clark pulling out his hair in frustrated defeat when Lois finally emerges from his closet. Priceless. So well done! Bravo!

Yes, I agree with LLF, it's terrific to see Mad Dog Lane actively working the Lex case. I had totally forgotten that Lex and Trask were working together so when Lois overheard the conversation at the warehouse (after the undercover KISS, so very hot that Lois forgot why they had kissed) between Lex, Nigel, and Trask's lieutenant, I was totally jawdrop Oh, dear! Of course, I thought it was strange that Lois would blow her cover with Henderson's men for the capture of John Black. Let Henderson know, yes, but allows others to know that she hasn't really been kidnapped? That surprised me at how risky it was, because of Lex's influence.

I loved that Lex thought Lois had been working with Clark much longer than she had been and had been her mole feeding Clark all his stories about Lex's west coast crimes. It's so Lex to underestimate Clark.

All and all a good story. The question I was left with, though, WHO was the master of disguise? Was it Lois, Lex, or Clark? Lois because she could fool even Superman... er... Clark into not recognizing her as a homeless person. Or was it Lex because he had pulled the wool so cleverly over Lois's eyes. Or was it Clark, because he fooled everyone (even Lois, until she dove into his closet) with just a pair of glasses.

My favorite line was: Lois berating Clark for getting shot, so she wouldn't and Clark replying "always". Awwww. So sweet. I'm glad I read it again.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
I just love this story totally. clap I didn't expect Lex to be killed by Trask, but it was an interesting solution. The whole scene between Lex and Lois was wonderfully written, showing both of them as real characters.
notworthy notworthy

KateB
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This story is so refreshingly different! Lois confronts Mrs. Cox about her 'working' relationship with Lex! I can just imagine the look on that sneaky woman's face when Lois thanks her for 'taking care' of Lex.

Clark's working in a completely different city was a bonus.

All in all a great story. Bravo BJ!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard