The Green, Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker style 3/10

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Lois was still hanging onto Clark's arm as they watched Rachel walk away. Lois particularly noted the un-sheriff-like sway of her hips as if she were flaunting her femininity even in the uniform. She teased, "Tush-Push?" Inwardly, Lois was furious. This woman had had a relationship with Clark and she didn't like that. She started thinking, <Where is this jealousy coming from? Why should I be jealous of her? He's with me now.> Suddenly what she had thought hit her, <Wait a minute. He's with me now??? Where did that come from?>

Clark could see that Lois was apparently lost in thought. Mystified at Lois's sudden change of attitude, Clark sought a diversion which would give him time to figure out just what was going on. He spotted his objective and started to lead Lois in that direction. His object was a barbecue pit, sending out plumes of smoke.

As he led her in that direction he said, "Maybe we can get an early taste of the local hospitality."

Lois was allowing Clark to direct their steps and her pensive expression softened as she said, "You go ahead. I'll just kind of soak up the 'atmosphere'."

Clark was surprised and pleased that Lois was still hanging on his arm and he brought his free hand over and put it on her arm, almost as if to reassure himself that this was really happening. He continued to tease her, "You know, Lois, what you can't stand is how normal it is here."

Lois was finding it hard to believe, but she actually was enjoying herself. She felt comfortable hanging on Clark's arm, something that if someone had suggested it just yesterday, she would have laughed in their face, but suddenly, it felt right, somehow. She knew that he was teasing her and she decided to play along, "Normal? I've heard about small towns." To prove her point she pointed at the man operating the BBQ and said, "See Mister Regular Joe flipping burgers over there? I'll bet he's really a cross-dresser."

Just as Lois finished speaking there was a shout from the side. "Clark!" Clark quickly turned to welcome the newcomer. An older woman with strawberry blond hair rushed over and Clark pulled her into an embrace. "It's good to see ya."

Lois was thinking, <What is it with all the strawberry blonds?> Suddenly a thought hit her, <That's his mom!>

As if to confirm her thought, while he hugged her, Clark said, "Hi, Mom!"

As Clark broke the hug, Martha held onto both of his arms and looked around. Immediately she spotted Lois standing at Clark's side and started to smile even broader. She said, "You must be Lois."

Lois returned her smile as she said, "That's me. Hi … Mrs. Kent." Her hesitation was caused by the sudden urge to call her Martha. <Where did that thought come from? Has Clark ever mentioned his mom's name?>

Martha had a disappointed look as she said, "Please, it's Martha. Well, you sure are pretty." Her hand flew to her mouth as if she wasn't sure of what she had said, and turning to Clark asked, "It's okay if I tell her that, isn't it?"

Clark smiled and said, "I don't know. Why not ask her? I'd say, it's the truth, so why not?"

Lois smiled at Martha and said, "Thanks … Martha." Somehow it just felt right, being here with both of them. Lois had a warm, comfortable feeling.

Martha smiled in return and said, "You kids must be starved. Let's get you something to eat at the barbecue pit."

Clark couldn't resist teasing Lois once more, "I don't know, Mom. Lois thinks the cook might be a cross-dresser."

Martha took a second look and started to laugh.

Suddenly, the wind shifted and blew the smoke away so that Lois had a clear view of the cook. Just as suddenly, she was sure that she knew just who it was. She didn't know how, but she remembered this man. Lois looked embarrassed. She knew why what she had said was so funny. She realized that it was Clark's dad. Martha's next statement confirmed it.

When Martha calmed herself sufficiently she said, "Oh, Honey, that's Clark's father! And I can't get him to buy me a dress let alone one for himself."

Lois, trying to salvage some of her shredded dignity, said, "I was just ... illustrating ... a point … really."

Unnoticed by any of them, at the corner of the gazebo a dapper little man with a derby hat stood holding an electronic device. He had been there for some time and after making a few more adjustments he turned and disappeared around the corner of the gazebo.

Martha was still laughing about the idea of Jonathan being a cross-dresser as they moved in the direction of the BBQ pit. Lois had reclaimed Clark's arm while Martha walked alongside. Martha said, "Wait'll he hears that."

Seeing them approach, Jonathan looked up from his chore, his chef's hat worn at a jaunty angle, he had a spatula in one hand with a burger on it and a pair of tongs holding an ear of corn in the other. As soon as they were close enough, he addressed Lois, "I feel like I know you already, Lois. Care for an ear?"

Lois' curiosity got the best of her, she just had to ask, "Sure, I'll have the corn. Why do you 'feel like you know me'?"

Jonathan smiled and replied, guilelessly, "Because Clark can't stop talking about you. How good looking you are ..."

Clark, embarrassed by this frank talk interrupted, "Dad!"

He no sooner got that out then Martha piled on, "and what a good writer …"

Again, Clark interrupted, "Mom!" and rolled his eyes.

Lois laughed at his discomfiture.

Undeterred, Martha continued, "Anyway, Lois, welcome to Smallville. We've got your room all ready for you."

Everything had happened so quickly that Lois hadn't given any thought to a place to stay. Partly, she had been relying on Clark to handle that since it was his home town. Hearing this she was startled and said, "My room? Oh, I wouldn't think of putting you out. I'll be staying in a motel." The statement just was there before she could stop it. She knew that she wouldn't be in a motel. She knew she would be spending the time with this family and actually, now, the thought of a motel was repulsive.

Jonathan smirked and said, "During the Corn Festival? Every room in Lowell County was booked up months ago."

Martha added, "Even if there was a room, I wouldn't hear of you staying anywhere else."

Clark was half way afraid to look at Lois to see her reaction, but when he did, she was smiling an enigmatic smile.

And now:

Chapter 03

A little later a battered pickup truck and a Mustang convertible pulled off the road and entered the drive leading to a quaint farm house. After parking Jonathan and Martha exited the pickup while Lois and Clark exited the Mustang. After closing the driver's door, Lois simply stood there looking at the house while Clark got the luggage out of the back. Lois shook her head because, for some odd reason, this house felt familiar. She knew that she had never been in Smallville before, but she knew this place. <Maybe I saw a picture over at Clark's place. Yes, that must be it, a picture at Clark's place.>

Finally, snapping out of her reverie, she followed Clark to the house. As they entered Lois found herself in the family room. Off on one side she spotted an easel with an unfinished painting on it. The painting was in a sort of cubist - expressionist style. Very abstract.

Martha was somewhat nervous about having Lois in the house for the first time. Lois was used to the big city with all of its luxuries and conveniences. What if she ran out screaming because it was so rustic? Martha was cradling a dozen ears of corn, wrapped in a red and white checkered cloth that she had brought home from the Festival and as Lois entered, Martha turned to her and said, "It's just an old farm house, but it's home." She saw that Lois was staring at her painting. She asked, "That's my latest. What do you think?"

Lois had a thoughtful expression as she said, "I like it. Bowl of fruit, right?" <How did I ever figure that out?>

Martha smiled brightly and looking at Jonathan said, "You see! I told you!" She turned to Lois and said, "Jonathan has been saying that nobody would ever be able to figure out what it is."

Clark had been surprised at Lois recognizing the subject of the painting. Trying to return to an even keel, he said, "Uh, Mom, Lois and I need to receive a FAX tomorrow."

In a musing tone, Martha repeated, "A FAX …"

Lois tried to interpret, "Facsimile. It's a machine. People in one place put a paper in and people in another place can get a copy if they have a FAX machine, too. It's sort of ... technical." Lois stopped and as if retrieving a memory added, "But you already know that, don't you?"

As Lois had been speaking, Martha had stepped to the side of the room. As Lois finished speaking, Martha removed a cover from a FAX machine. She said, "I was just thinking I better check the paper if you're expecting something."

As Martha opened the paper tray of the FAX machine, Lois nodded her head, and said, "You have a FAX machine, of course you do. I … I … I … didn't … didn't mean ... it's just ... I … I … I … I don't even … have a FAX," as she plopped down on the end of the sofa next to Clark.

Martha explained, "Oh, honey, out here, you've got to have one these days." Martha stopped and thought for a second before she continued, "Now you're in Clark's room. Clark can take the couch. Unless you two are ..." She looked at them with a question in her eyes.

Lois looked at Clark with something like shock or panic in her eyes, shock that this lady would ask something like this and panic at the thought of what her answer would be, and said, "No! No, we're not." She hesitated for a second and her visage cleared as the panic left and she turned toward Martha before she concluded, "At least, not yet." <Where did that come from???? Why, all of a sudden, am I thinking about Clark in those terms? What has made this change? Why do I resent the fact that he dated the sheriff? Why is the idea of sharing a room with him suddenly so appealing? This is going to take some thought.>

Seeing that Lois was deep in thought Martha started to head out of the room. As she did she saw that Jonathan was starting to settle in his favorite chair. Pointedly, she cleared her throat to get his attention and grabbing his arm dragged him along as she said, "Jonathan, why don't you help me?"

In response to Martha's urging, Jonathan jumped up and followed her out of the room, leaving Lois and Clark alone.

Clark snickered and said, "Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?"

Lois shook her head in chagrin and started her list, "Well, let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and I've insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this." She thought for a second before she continued, "There's only one thing I wouldn't change …"

Clark was intrigued. He asked, "What would that be?"

She started to flush at the thought, "Being treated as your girlfriend." <Why is that thought suddenly so pleasant?>

Clark was stunned. That was the last thing that he would have expected out of her mouth. Early on she had warned him not to fall for her because she didn't have time for it. Recently she had been dating Lex Luthor. The thought of her with Luthor made his skin crawl. Had she really just said what he thought he had heard her say? "I'm not sure I heard you correctly. Could you repeat that?"

A shy smile played on her lips as she replied, "Yeah, I find it hard to believe myself. I don't know, all of a sudden, it's like I'm seeing you through a different set of eyes. It's like a fog has been cleared from my mind and I'm seeing who you really are."

<Uh oh, has she figured out my secret? Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound as they say.> "Oh, and just who am I Lois?"

"Oh, you're still Clark Kent. That hasn't changed. It's me. Now I'm seeing the real Clark Kent. The kind, sympathetic, compassionate, passionate Clark Kent. The man raised by those two lovely and loving people out there that are only out there so that we can be alone, together."

Relieved to hear that, he said, "It sounds to me like you are actually having a better time than you expected."

Smiling, she said, "Yeah, I guess I am. How did you figure it out?"

Returning her smile, he said, "Well, along with that ear of corn, you had three hot dogs this afternoon."

Lois replied to this sally, "That shows how much you don't know about me. I usually only eat like that when I'm miserable or nervous." <Actually, that isn't true. Well, it used to be true. He's right; I was having a good time. I liked being with him and I love his mom and dad.> "I guess I will now have to add ‘having a good time' to my list."

"Well, if you're miserable or nervous, I have the perfect cure. Come on. Let's go outside and look at the stars. That will make you feel better and also calm your nerves. If you're having a good time, it will only make it better."

Lois objected, "You talk like there are only stars here. Metropolis has stars, too."

Before they could move outside, Jonathan and Martha returned with a pile of blankets.

Martha directed, "You boys go ahead and make up the couch. I'll show Lois her room." Martha held out her hands to Lois, encouraging her to join her.

Lois threw Clark a disappointed look and then nodding to Martha followed her upstairs while Jonathan and Clark started to put down sheets and blankets.

Martha had her left arm around Lois' waist and her right arm in her right hand as started to lead Lois away she turned and looking over her left shoulder mouthed, "I love her," to Clark. As they were disappearing up the stairs, Clark heard Martha say, "I hope you're not allergic to down pillows."

As soon as Lois and Martha were out of sight, Jonathan laid a hand on Clark's arm to stop him. When he had his attention he said, "Clark, when I called you to give you that tip about the Feds on Wayne's farm, I figured you'd come out, but, I, uh ... I kind of expected you to come alone."

Mystified at this Clark asked, "Dad, what's the problem?"

"Trust me; they're not looking for pesticides up the road, Clark. Come with me. I have something to show you." Jonathan led the way through the kitchen, out the back door and into the shed.

Jonathan closed the door after them and turned on the lights as they entered the shed. In the semi-darkness he led the way around bales of hay and bags of seed corn and reached behind a rack of tools to retrieve an old tool box. As they were moving Jonathan had related the story. "Wayne Irig found a rock on his property last week. He sent a sample of it on to Wichita for analysis. Then the Feds showed up. He told me that he found it when a storm knocked over a tree. I remember that tree. He planted it at Nellie's request, just about the time we found you."

Musingly, Clark said, "That doesn't make any sense. Why go to all that trouble for a rock?"

In a conspiratorial tone, Jonathan answered his question, "Because the preliminary report said it was some kind of meteorite. Wayne thought it might be worth some money. He gave it to me for safekeeping after the government types started pushing him around." Jonathan placed the box on top of a hay bale.

As Jonathan finished speaking he opened the lid of the lead tool box and the light coming from the crystal permeated the barn with its sickening green glow. Behind him Clark suddenly stumbled back as pain lanced through his body. He suddenly felt weak and nauseous ... sensations he had never in his life felt, not even when he was vulnerable as a child.

Still looking at the rock and not knowing that Clark was in distress, Jonathan continued to speak, "I figure since it was found a few miles from where we found you that it was probably related." Jonathan lifted the box and turned toward Clark so that he could get a closer look. The closer he came, the worse Clark felt.

Clark held up his hand in a stop gesture and said, in a weak voice, "Dad, I'm feeling kinda strange." As he finished speaking he stumbled backward until he was finally against the wall and couldn't back away any farther.

Jonathan had never seen Clark in any kind of distress before and had no idea as to how to handle the situation. Nervously, he asked, "Clark, what is it?" In his concern for Clark all he could think of was to set the box down, but unfortunately for Clark, he left it open.

Weakly, Clark replied, "I don't know."

Jonathan asked, "Are you sick?

Unsure and confused, Clark replied, "Maybe. I guess. I've never been sick before so I don't know." Grabbing his stomach, Clark bent over and looked like he was about to vomit.

Jonathan looked at the toolbox and asked, "My God, do you think it's this thing?"

Barely conscious, Clark was too far gone to reply. His face was contorted in pain as his knees buckled and he knocked over some bags of seed corn as he collapsed to the floor.

Startled and not thinking clearly at hearing the sound of Clark falling, Jonathan simply turned from the tool box, not thinking to close it and ran to Clark. Lifting him partly from the shed floor he nervously asked, "Clark! What's happening?"

Not knowing what else to do he shouted, "Martha!" There was no way for him to know that Martha was still upstairs with Lois, getting her settled in. When she didn't come immediately, Jonathan started to drag Clark from the shed. Because of his higher density it was impossible for him to lift Clark. All the time he was muttering, "My boy … my poor, poor boy …"

Eventually, Jonathan made it to the back porch with Clark. As the distance from the shed and the Kryptonite increased his pain decreased and he started to come around. About this time, Martha came downstairs and seeing that the living room was empty she started wondering where Clark and Jonathan had gone. The most likely place being the shed she headed in that direction. As soon as she opened the back door she saw Jonathan dragging Clark and immediately was at his side. Between them, with what little assistance Clark was able to give, they were able to assist him to stand, each taking one of his arms across their shoulders. They managed to get him into the kitchen and they lowered him into a chair.

Like any mother, the first thing Martha did was to feel his head. When she did, she declared, "Clark, honey, you're burning up." Moving to a cabinet she pulled out a thermometer and after shaking it down placed it in his mouth.

Mumbling around the thermometer, Clark said, "Don't get scared, Mom. My body doesn't work like other people's bodies."

Jonathan moved to the sink and filled a metal pitcher with water and turning around asked, "How do you feel? That's the important thing."

Still mumbling around the thermometer, Clark replied, "Better. I actually think I feel … better." As he finished speaking the thermometer exploded.

When the thermometer exploded, it startled Martha and she jumped and exclaimed, "Oh!" Then seeing exactly what had happened and said, "Oh, my …"

Removing the rest of the thermometer from his mouth, Clark said, "It doesn't mean anything, Mom. You know I'm different."

Martha, quipped, "That's the first time I ever saw a thermometer explode. Remind me not to do that anymore."

Jonathan placed the pitcher of water he had just filled on the table next to a glass. As he did he asked, "What do you mean, you 'think' you feel better? Don't you know?"

Martha looked at Jonathan with a how-can-you-ask-that look as she said, "He's never been sick before, Jonathan! It's a new experience for him. He has no point of reference."

Suddenly they all froze in place because they heard Lois' footsteps on the stairs.

Clark, whispered to his parents, "She can't know anything about this."

A few seconds later, Lois walked unconcernedly into the kitchen, even though all she was wearing was a shortie night gown which displayed her legs without a robe, as if it were an everyday occurrence. As if she had to explain her presence there though, she said, "I thought I heard the FAX." When she finished speaking she turned and headed for the FAX machine.

After Lois disappeared into the living room, Clark tried to lift the water pitcher to pour a glass for himself, however his hand was shaking so much with the effort that it was apparent to all that there would be more water on the table than in the glass so Jonathan took the pitcher from him to do the job.

Dismayed, Clark indicated the water pitcher and in a hushed tone said, "I lifted a rocket into orbit, but right now I can't even lift this."

As Jonathan handed him the glass of water, Martha tried to reassure him, "Don't worry, honey, you'll bounce back."

Jonathan mused, "Why would a rock hurt him?"

Martha answered in a matter-of-fact tone, "Because it's poison. Because it must have something to do with Clark's arrival here. Whatever it is ..."

Martha's statement went unfinished because Lois suddenly came through the door excitedly waving the FAX she had just received.

Lois almost shouted, "Look at this! This is a working list of clean-up sites from the Environmental Protection Agency and guess what?" Not waiting for them to answer, she continued in an I-told-you-so tone, "Smallville's not on it."

Lois suddenly took in the scene and realized that something was going on. She looked closely at Clark and said, "Clark, you look horrible." She moved over and started stroking his hair, hooking her finger in his front lock and brushing it aside in a tender gesture.

Clark reveled in her touch, but knew that he had to say something, "It's my allergies."

Lois said, "Poor baby, you never said anything about allergies before. If you weren't here with your folks, I'd ask if you wanted ‘momma' Lois to take care of you." <Where did that come from? I'm not the nursemaid type. I don't know. Something about taking care of Clark appeals to me.>

Martha took the lead in the reply, "His allergies only act up at this time of the year. Must be the pollens or something."

Jonathan chimed in, "Yeah, real bad this time of the year."

They had seen a play of emotions crossing Lois' face and they were anxious to see if their ploy had worked.

Finally, Lois gently teased Clark. She leaned in, showing some décolletage as she did and whispered in his ear, "I tried to warn you about those amber waves of grain," then standing again she said to Clark, "I'm going to get right on this. You get better."

The strain he was under from the pain and weakness was evident in his voice as he said, "It's late, Lois. Don't you think we ought to work on it in the morning?"

Lois looked at her watch and said, "Yeah, you're probably right. Ms. Sherman probably won't be there anyway. I think I'll go get some more shut-eye. Goodnight."

The last thing that Clark saw as she exited was her legs. After Lois exited, Clark said, "I'm going to be fine, really." This time he managed to pick up the pitcher without the trembling and poured another glass of water. "There, you see, better already. At least I'm not as weak as I was."

Early the next morning Lois came downstairs wearing a pair of brown slacks, a beige top and the jacket from the suit she had worn the day before. The brown complimented her hair color. When she came in she saw that Clark felt a lot better. After a hasty breakfast, prepared by Martha, Lois and Clark were out the door to pursue the investigation.

Clark was still concerned. He wasn't so weak that a kitten could bowl him over, but he was not his normal self, at least what was normal for him and that concerned him. What would he do if Lois, as usual, didn't check the water level and got herself in over her head? In his current condition, there was no way he would be able to rescue her and that really concerned him. Especially now when it seemed she was becoming interested in him as Clark. He was happy that she insisted on driving and that she liked having the convertible top down. It gave him a chance to bask in the sunshine, though, this early in the morning it wasn't nearly strong enough for his liking. Since the Irig farm was so close to the Kent farm the trip between the two was relatively short.

In typical Mad Dog Lane fashion, as soon as they rolled to a stop, Lois was about to jump out of the car and attack Ms. Sherman, but she noticed that Clark was holding back. She was instantly concerned. Had the allergy problem from last night persisted? Did he need her to take care of him? Concern in her voice, she asked, "You coming? Are you okay?"

His reply was not satisfying, "You go ahead. I'll just be a minute."

She leaned over and put her hand on his forehead. After a few seconds she gave her diagnosis, "You feel normal."

Nodding his head he agreed with her, "I am normal." But he was thinking, <Normal for an Earth man, not a Kryptonian.>

Knowing nothing of his quandary, Lois asked, "So … everything's okay, right?" She fervently hoped so. She felt that she needed him and somehow she knew that he needed her.

Even though he knew it was a lie, nonetheless he nodded his head to reassure her, Clark said, "Everything's okay."

Reassured, Lois accepted this and said, "Okay, then, let's go."

Carol Sherman had seen them as they drove up and had moved to intercept them at the barrier.

As they exited the car, Lois saw her approaching and hastened to meet her. She was therefore between Sherman and Clark as he rounded the back of the car and bending slightly, attempted to lift the back end, unsuccessfully. Once he was sure he couldn't lift it, shaking his head in disappointment he followed Lois.

As he approached, Lois was confronting Ms. Sherman with the list of active EPA sites that they had received. As soon as she was at the barrier, Lois had addressed Sherman, "It seems that Smallville is not on the EPA list!"

The previous day, unknowingly, Sherman had been lying. Now she was doing it deliberately, because her life depended on it. She knew that she had to play the part flawlessly if she was to live to see her daughter again. Playing the officious bureaucrat she said, "Look, if you want to match paperwork we can do that." She was thankful that Trask had thought of this possibility and prepared her for it. She began flipping through official looking documents on a clipboard that she held. Finding the ones she was looking for she started the litany, "This is our certificate granting access to EPA Superfund status. This is the property rights waiver. Here's the authorization from Smallville City Hall. And this … this is the updated list of what you've got. See? There's Smallville right there." She pointed at a line item on a list.

Clark was now close enough to see the forms. The sheet she was pointing to sure looked a lot like the one Lois had and sure enough, there was ‘Smallville' right where she indicated. He said, "She's right, Lois."

Refusing to give up that easily, Lois asked, "May I see those?"

Ms. Sherman said, "Sure," and hoping that the forged documents would hold up under her scrutiny handed the clipboard over.

Clark was now sure that there was a problem here so while Lois was looking at the forms and comparing them, Clark slipped his glasses down his nose and tried to use his x-ray vision to see what was in the tents, but he failed in the attempt. In fact there was actually pain associated with the attempt. With a disgusted grunt, berating himself for failing to do that the previous day, he pushed his glasses back up his nose.

Seeing that the fakes seemed to be fooling Lois, Sherman, feeling on solid ground, began to elaborate on the story, "It always takes Washington about six weeks to figure out what the people in the field are up to. I can make a call if you like." This was pure bluff and she knew it, but she had less to lose if Lois figured it out than if Trask was displeased.

Lois was angry at being thwarted like this and it showed in her voice as she replied, "Do that. And while you're at it, we definitely want to talk to Mister Irig.

Somewhat exasperated, Sherman replied, "I told you. He's been relocated during the disruption." Now, unlike the previous day, she knew this was a lie, but she had to follow through with it, or else.

Lois challenged, "But you didn't tell us where."

"Because, I don't know. Probably one of the motels," Sherman replied with exasperation.

Lois started to smile like the cat that had just caught the canary, because she knew that she had Sherman. The inside knowledge she had gained by being with the Kents was now going to pay off, big time. She challenged, "I doubt it. Most of the rooms around here were booked up months in advance, or maybe you've never heard of the famous Smallville Corn Festival."

Sherman, realizing that she had been caught and had to come up with an explanation and all she could come up with was, "The government has pull."

Going for the kill, Lois challenged, "All right, then, which one?"

Sherman decided that she would need to bluff this pushy woman again, "I don't know. I'll try to find out." She hoped that the stall would make them leave. She turned and headed for the tents.

She was disappointed when Lois shouted after her, "We'll wait."

comments go here
TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 01:29 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj