Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99510 03/08/14 05:27 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I swear that the story will get happier in a chapter or two. Lois will appear eventually as well. Let me know what you think.

#99511 03/08/14 05:56 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved the whole bit with the dog. Rufus reminds me of my dog (except for being 20 times the size).

He glanced down at the dog and in a sterner voice said, “And there’s not going to be any more problems, are there? Not even if the lady is carrying a cooked chicken in a shopping bag.”

The dog glanced up with a guilty look, although Clark suspected that the look wasn’t sincere.
Yep, that's a typical dog. laugh

After all the angst, it's nice to see a bit of light-heartedness.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#99512 03/08/14 07:20 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
"Charlie King"? Interesting…

It was nice to see some people trying to be kind to Clark for a change.

Very interesting story. I'm looking forward to things getting better for Clark!

#99513 03/08/14 08:06 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well done. I just read 1-5 and am enjoying it.

In many areas there are shelters aimed at homeless youth that do not ask questions, do not expect ID and do not turn you in.

Likewise there are corners in many cities where folks stand and wait for under the table employment. Lower then minimum wage, but no taxes, no id, and payment in cash.

The question is does your version of Metropolis have such places?

Framework4
#99514 03/09/14 07:57 AM
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
Great story, I'm really looking forward to happier times for Clark. And Lois' appearance as well.

I love this young Clark, even at this age and after all bad experiences he is still "our Clark", who can't leave a man to die and allows a dog to eat his dinner.

KateB
#99515 03/09/14 12:57 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Framework4 - And does Clark know how to find them if they exist?

#99516 03/09/14 06:24 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
That's actually a good point, Amy. This is a fifteen year old Clark thrown out on the streets without a lot of knowledge of what's available or how to survive. Without his special gifts he'd be in a lot more trouble.

Also, while I haven't specified a timeline on this, going by canon would place this story in the 1980's. I haven't specified any particular timeframe on this, but cell phones aren't yet prevalent, and in the 1980's there was no internet. Finding information required a card catalogue and a lot of looking through stacks of books. Today, any kid with a wireless connection could use google or siri to find the nearest shelter, assuming they thought of it.

"Compared to homeless adults and families, homeless youth have fewer shelters available and fewer legal provisions for housing and other basic needs.”

http://current.mnsun.com/2013/11/homeless-youth-hidden-population/

With a little guidance, Clark would do a whole lot better, and if you'll bear with me, that's coming soon. smile

#99517 03/10/14 06:10 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I'm hooked. Looking forward to 6+.

Love the idea. Clark with the powers is familiar. Clark learning to use his powers with his parents, too. Clark on his own and learning to use his powers without any guidance is new.

I'm interested to see how Clark makes his way. I can see him making different decisions than canon Clark, though. Keeping his secret long-term is one of them. Canon Clark had an established life--the suit enabled him to use the powers. Without the stability of a home, an income, erratic control over his powers, it would be very difficult for him to keep out of the headlines. (In fact, a part of my brain keeps expecting this story to be a pre-prequel of KatherineKent's Under the Spotlight where he revealed himself to the world at 18.)

Thanks.

Shallowford
#99518 03/10/14 06:43 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by AmyPrime:
Framework4 - And does Clark know how to find them if they exist?
Good point, if this was the late 1990s, in Portland, that would be someone like I was at the time. I was an outreach worker in a white van and while my area was homeless adult alcoholics and drug addicts, I often passed out info and provided rides to the youth services in our area.

Portland youth services took a major hit in the early 2000s when Portland decided that all agencies needed to register all clients and turn in runaways. The local Salvation Army lost a lot of their funding for youth services over that issue. Even led to closing one their downtown youth shelter.

Anyways one way or another that changed and I know several services in the area that have outreach workers aimed at the street kids.

I know the adult shelters I deal with all keep a supply of info on youth services available, so perhaps one of the people there will provide some direction to Clark.

Framework4
#99519 03/12/14 11:44 AM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This story is so sad. I hope Clark makes it into the shelter tonight.

party that Lois will appear. I am glad to hear the story will get happier. Now we know who Charles King really is.

John Pack Lambert
#99520 03/16/14 04:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The story is a chilling look at what could happen to any of us.

I'm reading it in hopes that things will get better for Clark - counting on your promise!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard