The Green, Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker style 2/10

Rated – PG-13

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

This story was written in response to a WAFFy challenge. The parameters were - first season, they cannot have been married previously and they need to be married before the end of the story. I hope that this story concept meets with your approval. In this particular story a lot of the dialogue is taken from the script text. I wish to express my thanks to my Beta readers Artemis and Ray Reynolds for their invaluable help. This was a VERY rough draft when it first landed in their hands.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

The Mustang convertible with the top down turned into a dirt road which wound through a wooded area. Lois was driving while Clark was enjoying the sunshine. Suddenly, rounding a curve Lois pulled the car to a halt. In front of them was a railroad crossing and there was a train stopped, blocking the road. The gate was down, but this was just a bit superfluous as there was a very solid freight car blocking the road. There were several railroad workers walking around the cars apparently looking for the problem that had caused the train to halt, but also apparently not having any luck doing so.

Clark and Lois resumed the discussion that started on the plane, "You can joke about it all you want, but take away Middle America and what have you got?

Lois, with a one-ups-man tone replied, "Art, music, theater …"

Clark interrupted and added, "crime, drugs, poverty.

Sighing and indicating the stalled train, Lois asked, "How long is this going to take?"

Smiling, Clark replied, "It takes as long as it takes."

With a sidelong glance, Lois said, "I didn't know that Zen was popular in the country." Lois thought, <Maybe this won't be that bad. There may be more to Mr. Greenjeans than what's on the surface. Maybe by seeing him in his own environment I can figure him out a little. Maybe he won't disappear while we are here.>

Clark was continuing his discourse, "It always takes people from the city a while to decompress. Fortunately for you, this weekend Smallville's holding the annual Corn Festival."

With a dispirited air, Lois asked, "This is a good thing?" <Hmmmm. Maybe I can talk to some of the people that knew him growing up. I might just be able to find out if this is all a put on or if he really is this good. If it's a put on, then I can keep him at arm's length. I hope it isn't a put on. The time we've spent, working late nights together … sharing take out … ohhhh, that take out. He always gets the very best take out. If he can do that for a working session, I wonder where he'd take me for a date?> She gave a mental shake, <DATE??? Where did that thought come from?>

Clark's almost insufferably upbeat attitude was abundantly evident as he replied, "Sure. We'll see the Corn Queen Pageant. The Husk-Off. The Corn-O-Rama. Popcorn, creamed corn, corn-on-the-cob. We're in luck."

With a sarcastic tone, Lois replied, "Be still, my heart." <Maybe, with a personal guide it won't be so bad. I hope it won't be as boring as it sounds.>

Not allowing her negative attitude to affect him, Clark smiled in reply.

The train continued to remain immobile for what seemed an interminable time. The couple in the car was forced to spend the time in conversation. At times the conversation became rather animated and neither observed the dapper little man that peered at them from between the railcars.

And now:

Chapter 02

By the time the Mustang drove up to the barricade it was mid afternoon. On the other side of the barricade they could see various pieces of large earthmoving equipment and workers walking around wearing what looked, to the uneducated eye, like space suits.

One of the individuals in a protective suit, upon seeing them pull up, entered one of the tents that had been set up. Seconds later an attractive African-American woman came out of the tent and approached them. She wore a name tag which read, ‘Carol Sherman, E.P.A.'. Without even waiting for them to introduce themselves she flatly stated, "Off limits to the public."

Lois pulled out her press pass and displayed it as she said, "We're not the public, we're the press."

In reply, Sherman said, "We've already issued a statement to the local paper."

Obviously not knowing who she was dealing with and wary of Lois' abrasive approach, Clark took the lead, "I'm Clark Kent. This is Lois Lane. We're with the Daily Planet."

Recognizing the name of the paper, Ms. Sherman was shocked and it was apparent in her voice as she said, "I'm Carol Sherman, EPA Field Liaison. What's a newspaper like yours doing here?"

Seeing that he was getting somewhere, Clark smiled and replied, "That's why we're called the Daily Planet. We cover the world."

Not to be left out, Lois added, "Plus … Smallville."

Now realizing who she was dealing with Ms. Sherman replied, basically repeating what had been in the press release, "What you're seeing here is an ecological risk assessment. During the sixties, the owner used a lot of pesticides and we're concerned about seepage into the local ground water."

Going along with it, Lois quipped, "Giving the people more than they bargained for at the dinner table?"

Not picking up on Lois' sarcasm, Ms. Sherman replied, "That's it. Public safety. No big story, I'm afraid."

Lois, now becoming more intent on the story because she sensed a cover-up said, "We'll need to speak with the property owner."

Unfazed, Ms. Sherman replied, "Mister Irig's been given relocation money during the testing. He didn't say where he would be going."

Pointedly, Lois replied, "I'm sure you've got that information somewhere. We'll check back." She grabbed Clark's arm and pulled him back toward the car. As they were walking she said, "I think the big impact here is probably that 'Farmer Jones' is off in some motel, eating take-out and watching cable TV on the government's dime."

Clark was opening his door to climb in and was indignant at her insinuation and it was evident in his voice, "His name happens to be Wayne Irig!" He said as he sat down.

Lois, embarrassed at her faux pas said, "Oh, that's right, you know him, don't you?" <He is really defensive of people, especially those he knows and likes. That is a good quality in a man. Come to think of it, he's defended me more than a few times. Not that I really needed defending … well, maybe I did at that. Now that I think about it, that was sweet of him and I have never really thanked him.>

Clark, somewhat mollified replied, "He's a friend of my dad's. I remember that before his wife died, they used to give out these great caramel apples at Halloween."

Lois was not usually silent; especially so since they had started this assignment she had been as prickly as a porcupine. Her displeasure had been coming out as snide remarks and when she didn't respond to his statement, he was curious, "Okay, what happened to the joke?"

Lois realized that she had allowed this assignment to get to her. When Perry first assigned them, she had really resented it. Now that they were here and she had been spending all of this time with Clark … any other time, if she had been stuck at a railroad crossing for over an hour she would have tried to find a way around the blockage, but with Clark and the conversation the time had just flown by. She actually had to admit to herself that she had enjoyed the time. Clark was such a good conversationalist. Sooo very many stories. He was a good story teller and … amusing. She didn't know when she had laughed so much as while they were waiting for the train to move and … actually was disappointed when it finally did. With a slightly embarrassed look, Lois asked innocently, "What joke?"

Clark confronted her, "You've made fun of everything else. Let's hear the caramel apple joke."

Lois replied in a childlike voice and with a wistful air as if remembering a happy thought, "There is no joke. I love caramel apples." <I guess that is something we have in common.>

"Oh." Clark just shook his head. He still had a lot to learn about Lois Lane and actually he was having fun doing so.

As they drove away, Lois looked back in the rearview mirror only to see Carol Sherman watching them leave and the tents in the background.

If Clark had thought to use his x-ray vision he would have been very surprised with what he would have seen inside the tents, but there had been nothing to raise his suspicions enough to justify intruding that way.

If he had, he would have seen that the elusive Wayne Irig was in one of them, bound in a chair. He was the object of attention of a man wearing military fatigues, a man by the name of Jason Trask, the paranoid leader of the renegade UFO organization, Bureau 39. Several of his agents were standing guard and they were all heavily armed. A strong, hot light was shining into Irig's sweaty face.

As the good cop, Trask was using an ingratiating tone of voice, Trask was trying to get Irig to give him the information he sought. "We have two possibilities. Either you buried it somewhere on your farm or you gave it to someone. Now, which is it?" It was readily apparent that Trask hadn't watched enough police dramas because he was attempting to play both the good cop as well as the bad and it just wasn't working.

Wayne was demonstrating just how stubborn a Kansas farmer could be, by his continued recalcitrance, "There weren't no more. That's it, all there was."

Trask wasn't buying it. His expression morphed from ingratiating and persuasive to anger. He changed the angle of the light so that it was directly in Wayne's eyes. He could see the beads of perspiration on Wayne's face under the bright light. Then Trask's lunged over the table and grabbed Wayne's arms in a tight grip. He brought his face within inches of Wayne's and he almost shouted, "Wrong answer!"

After watching Lois and Clark depart, Sherman knew that she needed to report the encounter to her boss, Trask. She headed for Trask's headquarters, which was in the other tent. As soon as she entered she saw Wayne Irig, the man she had been told had left. The shock was evident on her face as she stopped, dead in her tracks.

Trask noted a change in his guard and standing turned to see her as she stopped just inside the tent flap.

Trask asked, "Is there a problem, Ms. Sherman?"

Indicating Wayne Irig, she said, "You told me he had been relocated."

In a sarcastic tone Trask replied, "He has been. This is his new location."

Sherman was not sanguine with this answer. She challenged, "Since when does the Environmental Protection Agency do interrogations?"

Smugly, Trask replied, "It doesn't, but Bureau 39 does."

This revelation was a surprise to Sherman. Stunned she asked, "Bureau 39? What do you do?"

Trask became more businesslike, straightening his posture and placing his hands behind his back, like a soldier at parade rest, but more stern as he replied, "That information is on a need to know basis and you don't."

Sherman came to a decision. She said, "I needed a job, but not this bad. I won't be a part of this."

With a malevolent stare Trask continued, "Ms. Sherman, I'd reconsider that. No one alive has ever quit Bureau 39. It's a … a curse." He started to smile, but the smile never reached his eyes. Sherman decided that it was the most evil smile she had ever seen. He continued, "You did say you had a daughter to raise, didn't you, but if you're determined to leave, I'll accept your … resignation … with regrets." As he finished speaking, he looked at one of his guards.

Sherman saw the look and looked at the guard also. When she did, she saw that he was slowly reaching for a weapon. She tensed and felt cold chills run up and down her spine. She quailed and said, "No, I'm fine."

She was watching the guard as she said this and seeing him relax, she released the breath she didn't even realize she had been holding.

"Good choice," Trask spat out and then said in a more businesslike tone "Well, then, I assume there was something else you came to tell me."

She had been watching the guard like a rodent watching a snake that was about to strike and snapping out of her stupor at the question, said, "I just talked to two reporters. A Lois Lane and a Clark Kent from the Daily Planet. They were just outside."

Hearing this report, Trask was at first surprised and then he started to smile, that malevolent smile of his returned. Then he said, "Oh, perfect. If they're here, Superman can't be far behind." Almost as an afterthought, he said, "Thank you. You may go."

After Lois and Clark drove away from the Irig farm they headed into town. When they reached the town center, Lois found a place to park right on Main Street. Looking around Lois saw that the public square had been converted into a mini-fairground. Across the way was a grassy area with a gazebo. A banner sign read: "Smallville Corn Festival." Despite the small town flavor, it was a well organized affair, complete with a hip logo. The feel was part carnival, part craft fair, and part harvest celebration. Under the gazebo, a country-rock band was playing.

As they were exiting the car, Clark told Lois, "If Mr. Irig's around, somebody here will know about it. That's the great thing about a small town." Clark interrupted what he was saying because he saw that Lois wasn't really paying attention to him. She was looking around in wonder. He asked, "What is it?"

Lois quipped, "I feel like Dorothy. Shouldn't a tornado be flying me off to Oz pretty soon?"

Clark had a sour expression as he replied, "Bad metaphor, Lois. Dorothy wanted to get back to Kansas."

Thoughtfully, Lois replied, "Technically. No, really. I've got this déjà vu feeling. Like I should know this place."

As they wandered through the crowds, Clark was looking for anyone he thought could give them the information that they needed. Lois was soaking in the atmosphere. There was an outdoor stand set up with boutique clothes. She was attracted to a display, a mannequin with a dress on it. Lois felt drawn to this particular dress and moving over to it stated brushing it with her hand, feeling the fabric. She had a thoughtful expression as she did this and then she started to smile as if in recognition.

Clark spotted a woman with strawberry blond hair. She had her back to him and was talking to a young girl, telling her to go find her mom. Even with her back to him, Clark thought he knew who it was. He called out, "Rachel?"

Hearing her name, she turned and seeing who it was broke out in a wide smile. Squealing in delight, she shouted, "Clark!" and rushing over to him, almost leaped into his arms as she threw her arms around his neck and he pulled her into a hug.

It suddenly occurred to Clark that she was wearing a uniform. Startled at the uniform he asked, "Rachel? Sheriff Rachel?"

Removing her arms from around his neck and stepping back slightly, Rachel Harris said, "Hey, don't let the uniform fool you. I can still Two-Step and Tush-Push better than anybody else in town."

As she said this, Clark was cast back in his memory to his high school years and the times he had dated Rachel. The Prom had not been their first date and it was almost the last. Rachel had not said so in so many words, but she had made it clear to Clark that she wouldn't have objected to a more serious relationship, perhaps even an intimate relationship. The problem was that Clark hadn't been sure that she was the one so he had held back. Shortly after that he had graduated and decided to travel before starting college. When he left, he lost track of her. It was good to see her again. In reply to her statement, he said, "I have no doubts that you can. You've always been a terrific dancer. It's good to see you again. It's been a long time."

She had her western style uniform hat in her hands and those hands were nervously shuffling around the brim, spinning the hat. Rachel had to admit to herself, she'd had a crush on Clark for years. When he took her to the prom, she had been close to heaven. She hadn't seen him in some time and seeing him now, all of those old feelings came surging up. She didn't know how to act. She felt like that schoolgirl again on that first date. She chastised herself, <Get a grip girl. That was years ago. There's been a lot of water that has flowed under that bridge since prom night, but I still remember that kiss. Wow! Nobody can kiss like Clark Kent. I wonder … maybe, if I play my cards right …> "How long you gonna be in town?"

"I'm not sure. A few days, anyhow."

Rachel sidled up to Clark, put her hand on his cheek and smiled even broader at the thought as she asked, "Show ya tomorra night? Old time's sake?" <This could be my chance. Maybe after the dance I can get him alone. Maybe we can even finish what we started then.>

Lois was an interested observer to all of this. Suddenly she felt a twisting in her stomach. She hadn't ever felt anything like this before, but seeing this country bumpkin, uniform or not, put her hands on ‘her' partner was creating an emotional upheaval that she didn't understand. All she knew was that she had to put a stop to this. She found herself moving up behind Clark.

Clark, sensing her presence, turned to introduce them, "Uh, Rachel, Lois Lane. Lois, Rachel Harris. I guess that's Sheriff Harris now."

Rachel, keeping her eyes strictly on Clark, was obviously ignoring Lois as she replied and Lois didn't like it one little bit as Rachel addressed Clark, "I beat Fordman in the last election just by promising to buy a couple of computers." <Uh oh, who is she? Oh, yeah, the woman he works with. Maybe there's nothing personal there. Just professional, I hope.>

Lois wasn't about to let herself be ignored, demonstrating that she had heard what had been said, she asked, "Old time's sake?"

Rachel continued to ignore Lois, at least as far as acknowledging her presence by looking at her, though there was a hint of pride in her tone as she did answer her question, "We dated some. Clark took me to his senior prom." There was a short pause and a worried look crossed her face before she continued, "Are you two...?"

Lois was quick to reply, almost, too quick, and she felt that something was wrong with the answer she gave even as she was speaking the words, "We haven't! We're on assignment for the Daily Planet. We work together." She was suddenly moved to add, "But we're exploring our possibilities." She slipped her arm between his arm and body, wrapping her arm around his in a possessive gesture.

Clark Looked at Lois, surprised by this sudden change.

Rachel, with a look of disappointment said, "Really? Not strictly professional, huh?" <Exploring the possibilities. Maybe I have a chance here. Worth a try, he’s worth the try.>

Clark, not sure where this was going, decided to change the subject. He said, "Rach, see, the reason we're here is … do you know where Wayne Irig is?"

Disappointment in her voice, Rachel replied all business now, "Haven't seen him. You know how he keeps to himself." Suddenly she was interrupted by her two-way radio coming to life. She turned away and listened for a second before turning back to Clark and Lois, "Duty calls. Well, Lois, we'll have to get together and swap Clark stories later." <Yeah, and maybe I'll be able to add some new ones tomorrow night, especially if I can get him away from the city girl. After all, I saw him first.>

Lois was still hanging onto Clark's arm as they watched Rachel walk away. Lois particularly noted the un-sheriff-like sway of her hips as if she were flaunting her femininity even in the uniform. She teased, "Tush-Push?" Inwardly, Lois was furious. This woman had had a relationship with Clark and she didn't like that. She started thinking, <Where is this jealousy coming from? Why should I be jealous of her? He's with me now.> Suddenly what she had thought hit her, <Wait a minute. He's with me now??? Where did that come from?>

Clark could see that Lois was apparently lost in thought. Mystified at Lois's sudden change of attitude, Clark sought a diversion which would give him time to figure out just what was going on. He spotted his objective and started to lead Lois in that direction. His object was a barbecue pit, sending out plumes of smoke.

As he led her in that direction he said, "Maybe we can get an early taste of the local hospitality."

Lois was allowing Clark to direct their steps and her pensive expression softened as she said, "You go ahead. I'll just kind of soak up the 'atmosphere'."

Clark was surprised and pleased that Lois was still hanging on his arm and he brought his free hand over and put it on her arm, almost as if to reassure himself that this was really happening. He continued to tease her, "You know, Lois, what you can't stand is how normal it is here."

Lois was finding it hard to believe, but she actually was enjoying herself. She felt comfortable hanging on Clark's arm, something that if someone had suggested it just yesterday, she would have laughed in their face, but suddenly, it felt right, somehow. She knew that he was teasing her and she decided to play along, "Normal? I've heard about small towns." To prove her point she pointed at the man operating the BBQ and said, "See Mister Regular Joe flipping burgers over there? I'll bet he's really a cross-dresser."

Just as Lois finished speaking there was a shout from the side. "Clark!" Clark quickly turned to welcome the newcomer. An older woman with strawberry blond hair rushed over and Clark pulled her into an embrace. "It's good to see ya."

Lois was thinking, <What is it with all the strawberry blonds?> Suddenly a thought hit her, <That's his mom!>

As if to confirm her thought, while he hugged her, Clark said, "Hi, Mom!"

As Clark broke the hug, Martha held onto both of his arms and looked around. Immediately she spotted Lois standing at Clark's side and started to smile even broader. She said, "You must be Lois."

Lois returned her smile as she said, "That's me. Hi … Mrs. Kent." Her hesitation was caused by the sudden urge to call her Martha. <Where did that thought come from? Has Clark ever mentioned his mom's name?>

Martha had a disappointed look as she said, "Please, it's Martha. Well, you sure are pretty." Her hand flew to her mouth as if she wasn't sure of what she had said, and turning to Clark asked, "It's okay if I tell her that, isn't it?"

Clark smiled and said, "I don't know. Why not ask her? I'd say, it's the truth, so why not?"

Lois smiled at Martha and said, "Thanks … Martha." Somehow it just felt right, being here with both of them. Lois had a warm, comfortable feeling.

Martha smiled in return and said, "You kids must be starved. Let's get you something to eat at the barbecue pit."

Clark couldn't resist teasing Lois once more, "I don't know, Mom. Lois thinks the cook might be a cross-dresser."

Martha took a second look and started to laugh.

Suddenly, the wind shifted and blew the smoke away so that Lois had a clear view of the cook. Just as suddenly, she was sure that she knew just who it was. She didn't know how, but she remembered this man. Lois looked embarrassed. She knew why what she had said was so funny. She realized that it was Clark's dad. Martha's next statement confirmed it.

When Martha calmed herself sufficiently she said, "Oh, Honey, that's Clark's father! And I can't get him to buy me a dress let alone one for himself."

Lois, trying to salvage some of her shredded dignity, said, "I was just ... illustrating ... a point … really."

Unnoticed by any of them, at the corner of the gazebo a dapper little man with a derby hat stood holding an electronic device. He had been there for some time and after making a few more adjustments he turned and disappeared around the corner of the gazebo.

Martha was still laughing about the idea of Jonathan being a cross-dresser as they moved in the direction of the BBQ pit. Lois had reclaimed Clark's arm while Martha walked alongside. Martha said, "Wait'll he hears that."

Seeing them approach, Jonathan looked up from his chore, his chef's hat was worn at a jaunty angle, he had a spatula in one hand with a burger on it and a pair of tongs holding an ear of corn in the other. As soon as they were close enough, he addressed Lois, "I feel like I know you already, Lois. Care for an ear?"

Lois' curiosity got the best of her, she just had to ask, "Sure, I'll have the corn. Why do you 'feel like you know me'?"

Jonathan smiled and replied, guilelessly, "Because Clark can't stop talking about you. How good looking you are ..."

Clark, embarrassed by this frank talk interrupted, "Dad!"

He no sooner got that out then Martha piled on, "and what a good writer …"

Again, Clark interrupted, "Mom!" and rolled his eyes.

Lois laughed at his discomfiture.

Undeterred, Martha continued, "Anyway, Lois, welcome to Smallville. We've got your room all ready for you."

Everything had happened so quickly that Lois hadn't given any thought to a place to stay. Partly, she had been relying on Clark to handle that since it was his home town. Hearing this she was startled and said, "My room? Oh, I wouldn't think of putting you out. I'll be staying in a motel." The statement just was there before she could stop it. She knew that she wouldn't be in a motel. She knew she would be spending the time with this family and actually, now, the thought of a motel was repulsive.

Jonathan smirked and said, "During the Corn Festival? Every room in Lowell County was booked up months ago."

Martha added, "Even if there was a room, I wouldn't hear of you staying anywhere else."

Clark was half way afraid to look at Lois to see her reaction, but when he did, she was smiling an enigmatic smile.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 01:30 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj