"I will get back to you, Lois," he vowed. "And I won't put you or your people in danger."

She took both his hands. She huffed out a breath. She gave him a brave smile. "We have a few hours to prepare."

"I think I should go now," Clark said. The longer he stayed, the less he trusted himself to do what was right.

"Metropolis is five or six hours behind Brazzaville," Lois said. "It's early afternoon there now. Wouldn't it be better to go when it's dark? At least initially, when you'll be trying to gather information without being seen?"

"Yes," Clark admitted, realising that in a just a few minutes, Lois had achieved a greater degree of clarity than had been possible for him.

"We need to go back to the village," she said, leading him to the gate. "We have a lot to do."

"Lois?"

She turned and waited.

"What do they know?" Clark asked, gesturing towards the village. "About Lioli and the hippo? Do they know what I did?"

"Whatever they've been told, nothing is going to be as important as the fact that you saved Lioli. Life means everything to the Bangala. In their eyes, you're going to be a hero."

"A hero?" Clark muttered. "I've never thought of myself as …"

Lois grinned. "Well, you better get used to it," she said. "'Cause the entire village is going to want to thank you for saving their little girl."

"What …" He stopped, clammed up with sudden shyness. He pushed through it. "What about you? What do you think?"

Lois glanced down, and when she looked up again, she was smiling. "You have been a hero to me since I first met you," she said. "And the more I learn about you, the more captivated I become."

Part 37

Lois felt no need to observe the villagers to confirm how they would respond to Kent's arrival. She knew his appearance would bring them - running and eager, if a little shy - to celebrate his rescue of Lioli.

What she didn't want to miss was his reaction to their welcome. Just a few steps into the village, she turned, fixing her eyes on Kent, who was anchored between the gateposts, peering cautiously into the village.

She sent him a smile, but before she had time to add a few encouraging words, Arandu and Nlandu had left the roaster and run past her to Kent. They surrounded him, slapping his back and grinning and chattering excitedly in Bangala peppered with occasional English words. Safi arrived a few seconds later and wrapped Kent in an all-encompassing hug. Sikitu and Lubala, two of Lioli's friends, came at a run. The girls stopped on the edge of the group, suddenly beset by self-consciousness. Then Sikitu stretched out her arms towards Kent and quickly embraced him.

"Melesi mingi," she said. "Melesi mingi salisa Lioli."

"You're welcome," Kent mumbled.

Seeing his expression - somewhere past surprise and bordering on disbelief - tugged at Lois's heartstrings. Now she knew Kent's story, she could perceive clearly things that had once been only vague impressions. She could read the trails of repeated disappointment lining his face, left by the many years of craving acceptance but never quite believing he deserved it.

When Kent's smile finally filtered through his amazement, hot tears sprang from Lois's heart to gather along her eyelids. Kent needed the steadfast and unwavering support of the woman who loved him, and everything within Lois ached to be that woman. But she could never be enough. He also needed the sense of belonging that came from a community.

His head lifted over the surrounding Bangala people, and their eyes met. Lois smiled. I told you so. He nodded in cautious, wondrous agreement.

As four more people arrived, bolstering the group to a small crowd, Lois slipped away. Her old energies were stirring again. The need to plan; to organise and prepare.

Five years ago, it had been a way of life. Perhaps, in hindsight, it had been a subconscious strategy to dull the glaring deficiencies of her world.

Perhaps that was why she had reverted to automaton mode so often that it had become a lifestyle.

Perhaps that was why she could feel herself slipping back now.

Because if Lois thought about the coming separation she was sure she would collapse from the weight of her fears. She would cleave to Kent, physically and emotionally, and beg him to stay with her.

And he would. Because he loved her.

But there would be a price. Kent would never fully settle into his new life. He would never fully assimilate into the Bangala. His mind would wander back to Metropolis. He would agonise over neglected responsibilities. And perhaps, one day, the nagging of his conscience would become stronger than Lois's pleas and he would leave.

Lois didn't want to live like that. She didn't want Kent to live like that.

But … she couldn't ward off her memories of Metropolis. They may have faded over time, but they still contaminated her thoughts with heavy overtones of violence and callous disregard for the sanctity of human life.

And now, the man she loved was going there. Alone. Unprotected. Vulnerable.

Tempus - prolific in power and lacking any moral constraints - was already Kent's enemy. Tempus had the green rock and knew of its power to weaken Kent. Last time, Kent had lost his abilities for over two weeks. If Tempus found him and blasted him with more of the green rock, it could be months before Kent was able to return to Africa.

Assuming Tempus didn't ensure that, this time, his attempt to exterminate the alien was successful.

Kent wouldn't have Lois to dig the green pebbles from his body. He wouldn't have her love and support. He wouldn't have her to convince him that he didn't deserve to be treated as a sub-human invader.

Lois swallowed down a sob as she entered her hut. She picked up some paper and a pencil and began writing her list. She stopped after just a couple of items, racking her brain for more she could do to help facilitate Kent's safe return.

But few of the bountiful resources of the Bangala counted for much in assisting a journey to the modern world.

And Lois had rarely felt more helpless.

~|^|~

The bustling, fluid congregation of people prevented Clark from moving far from the entrance for almost twenty minutes. He had seen Lois drift away and had felt a surge of panic that she was leaving him in the midst of so many unfamiliar faces, but the faces were stretched so wide with smiles and affection that his panic quickly abated.

"Melesi mingi."

Those words rose above the cacophony of greetings. It was impossible to explain away the reality of what Lois had predicted. These people didn't care how he had saved Lioli; they only cared that he had.

A few punctuated their words with pushing gestures; it seemed that they'd heard how the white man had thrust the hippo aside and rescued Lioli. The story was re-told many times by different people, and every time the shove of the arms was greeted with a loud cheer and much laughter.

More people came to join them and a few wandered away. Then, Clark recognised Gislane walking towards them. The people parted, granting her access to the hub of the crowd. When she reached Clark, she threw her arms around him, causing a shaft of memories of the only mother he'd known. She squeezed him with surprising strength, withdrew, patted his cheek, and smiled. "Matymbou wants to see you," she said quietly. She grasped his elbow and led him through the crowd.

The chief was already walking towards them. He carried Lioli in his arms. She was awake, her head lifted off his shoulder, and her attention fixed on Clark.

The distance between them evaporated, and Lioli leaned from her father's arms to hug Clark's neck. "They told me you saved me from the hippo when I fell into the river," she said. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Clark muttered.

"I won't forget," she said with a small smile.

He'd always feared that if people saw him as he really was, they would never forget. But this was different.

As if to underscore Clark's conclusion, Lioli reached over again and dropped a kiss on his cheek. It felt exactly as he'd imagined a kiss from his child would feel.

"Come and eat, my friend," Matymbou said. "We have very much to celebrate."

They led Clark to some chairs gathered around a long, low table, and a woman he didn't know brought him a large plate of meat and vegetables, served with a big smile and a few friendly words. Clark inhaled the delicious aroma. To show his appreciation, he quickly cut off a piece of meat and put it into his mouth. It was tender and bursting with flavour. "Good," he said. "Kitoko. Melesi mingi."

She smiled at his words and moved away.

"Where's Lois?" Clark asked Matymbou, looking around the village.

"I saw her go into Nlandu's hut," the chief replied, not looking up from where he was hacking at a chunk of meat. "She will come and eat when she is ready."

When Matymbou had come running from the village in search of Lioli, his anxiety had been obvious. Now, just a short time later, he had returned to his usual calm state. The contrast made Clark realise that very little unsettled the chief's composure, despite his being responsible for an entire village. Obviously, he didn't churn through all the terrible possibilities every time potential disaster loomed.

Lois wasn't here. She would come when she was ready. There was no cause for concern.

Clark cut through the potato-like vegetable and watched as the wispy ribbons of steam rose from the halves. Perhaps it was easy to dismiss the upwelling of fears if you had always lived with your own people. Perhaps it was easy to expect the best outcome when you belonged to a tight-knit community and your position as their beloved leader was secure.

But Matymbou had lost his first wife. He'd remained married to Lois despite falling in love with Gislane. His life hadn't been free from difficulties and heartache.

Right now, Lioli looked fine, but Clark knew that a concussion could have aftereffects. Either Matymbou didn't know that or he was choosing not to allow his fears to spoil the opportunity to celebrate with his daughter.

Either way, Clark envied him.

Perhaps Clark could learn from the Bangala chief. Actually, Clark realised, there was a whole lot he could learn from Matymbou.

Lois appeared, crossing the central village area. Clark watched as she gathered food onto her plate and then walked over to him. As she sat beside him, she gave him a stifled smile.

"Everything all right, Lois?" Matymbou asked.

"Yes, Matty."

Matymbou continued eating, but Lois's tone and her smile had alerted Clark that everything was not all right.

She was anxious because he was leaving. She was trying to hide it, but Clark knew.

Before he left, he had to make her believe he would come back.

Even if he met Tempus. Even if Tempus had the green rock. Even if Lana begged him to stay. Even if Lana offered him the place at her side as the father of her child.

He was coming back to Lois.

Clark reached across and put his hand on Lois's arm. She looked sideways at him. "I will come back," he muttered, just loud enough for her to hear. "I promise you, I will come back. Whatever happens, I won't rest until I'm with you."

She smiled, but the film of apprehension didn't leave her eyes.

Suddenly, Clark wanted the hours to pass quickly. He wanted to go so he could earn the right to return.

And when he returned, he would never leave again.

~|^|~

The triple celebration for Martha's birth, Matymbou and Gislane's wedding, and Lioli's safety passed slowly for Lois. The concern she had carried for months regarding Rolle's pregnancy had lifted, her joy at seeing Matty and Gislane so happy bubbled up every time she looked at them, and her belief was growing that Lioli had sustained no serious injuries. But all of that was buried in the knowledge that, very soon, Kent would leave her.

As they ate, a continuous stream of people came up to talk to him, bringing him drinks and special titbits of food. Even those who had minimal English approached him, and Kent was able to give the appearance of having understood their words. Lois smiled to herself the first time he replied in the local language, rejoicing in his growing confidence and finding hope that his efforts to communicate with all the people reinforced his stated intention to return.

But then, she'd never doubted the truth of his intention.

He would come back to her.

If he could.

If Tempus didn't kill him or trap him with the green rock.

If Kent's conscience allowed him to turn away from his pregnant wife.

Whatever Lana's reasons for destroying her marriage - love for the baby's father, fear of a future with an alien, dissatisfaction with her life, coercion by Tempus - Lana didn't deserve Kent. But his deep reservoir of loyalty and honour might make him susceptible to her manipulation. Lois didn't have a whole lot of faith in his ability to choose what would make him happy ahead of what he thought was right.

She felt herself smile as she watched Kent talk with Magalie and her toddler son, Nicaise. The boy pointed his stubby finger at Kent and said, "Monene mingi."

Kent laughed, playfully catching at the boy's hand as his mother quickly translated. "He say you 'much big'," she said.

"Ee, nakoki," Kent replied with a smile. "I know."

Lois's vision blurred as her tears rose again.

Kent belonged here.

She pushed aside her half-empty plate and scrambled up from the seat. A few seconds later, she slipped into the quietness of Rolle's hut and found the new mother quietly feeding her baby. Rolle looked up as Lois entered and gave a smile of complete serenity.

"How are you?" Lois asked, sitting next to the low bed.

"Good. Much good. Martha is much good."

"Martha is beautiful," Lois said, gently stroking the baby's head.

"Yes," Rolle agreed. "Beautiful."

"Is she feeding well?"

"I think she is on right."

"She looks good," Lois said. "You're both doing very well."

"I'm so much happy," Rolle said, running her finger over her daughter's tiny clumps of hair. "I was scared."

"I was scared, too," Lois admitted.

The two women shared a glance that was potent with memories. "I much glad you here," Rolle said. "If another baby comes for me and Kito, I want you here."

"I'm not going anywhere," Lois said.

"You not go with Kent?"

"No."

"I hear Kent go away."

"Yes. Later tonight."

Rolle put her hand on Lois's arm. "I sad for you," she said. "If Kito go, I want to die."

There was a good chance Lois was going to feel as if she wanted to die if the hours stretched into days and the days stretched into weeks and Kent did not return. "He has to go back," she said - more to herself than Rolle.

"I pray," Rolle said earnestly. "I pray Kent come back to Bangala. I pray he not stop until he is back."

Lois forced a tremulous smile. "That's a beautiful prayer, Rolle," she said. "Thank you."

Rolle grinned suddenly. "One day … you and me … like this." She waved her hand between them. "But mondele baby. Yours. And Kent's."

Lois's tears rose, tears for things she had long accepted were never going to be hers and now she wanted with fervent longing. "That's not going to happen, Rolle," she said.

"You and Kent not … not together as man and woman go together?"

"Not yet."

"One day?"

"If he comes back. But even then, Kent and I won't be able to have children." As she said the words, Lois realised why Kent had believed he couldn't father a child. He wasn't sterile - it was probably that he couldn't make a baby with an earth woman.

Lois's disgust at Lana rose again. How could a woman who was supposed to love Kent let him believe a miracle had happened, only to savagely shatter all his dreams? A second wave came - the desire to restore, to give him the things he deserved, to be the answer to the cry of his heart, to ensure he was never hurt again.

Martha released the nipple and sighed as she settled into a deeper sleep. "We both have Martha," Rolle said, offering her baby to Lois. "You can hold her when you want."

Lois took the sleeping baby. Her mouth was still slightly open, and a droplet of milk adorned her bottom lip.

Lois stared at her, wanting so intensely, fearing so deeply. She felt as if she was standing between the past and the future, and the feeling was stronger than the moment when she had accepted that her life as a successful American journalist had ended and her future lay with a remote African tribe.

But perhaps what she'd thought would be the rest of her life was only going to be five years. Kent being able to fly made the impossible possible. If he was strong enough to fly himself, he could carry her.

But Metropolis meant danger and violence and re-entry into a world that had once been her heartbeat, but had receded to a nightmare of horrific proportions as she had become immersed in a peace-loving community. Every day - every single day - she had been grateful for her escape.

Could she go back? Even temporarily?

Lois felt carved in two.

Kent - whom she loved - was going. Diddi - her son, and until recently the sole possessor of her heart - could not go. She would never take her happy, innocent son into a harsh world where she couldn't guarantee his safety. And even if she were able to return him home physically safe, the damage of having been exposed to that world would be irreversible.

So, she had to stay. And she had to let Kent go.

Even if he might never return.

~|^|~

Clark's attention had wandered from Lois for a moment while he'd been interacting with the cute little boy and his mother. When he checked her again, she was walking away through the flame-lit gloom.

The sun had long dipped beyond the horizon. The moment of separation was drawing closer.

He could delay, of course, but if he delayed once, the temptation to postpone again would escalate. There would always be an excuse to put off leaving, but he couldn't do that to Lois.

She didn't want him to go. He could see the anguish on her face - the way she couldn't meet his eyes - and while he revelled in the knowledge that being with him was so important to her, he hated that he was going to hurt the one woman who truly loved him.

Ten minutes later, he saw her come out of Rolle's hut and hurry into her own hut without looking around. Clark stood, thanked Matymbou, smiled at Lioli, and slipped away.

Outside the door of her hut, he stopped. "Lois?" he called softly.

He was sure the first sound was a sob. He waited, giving her time. Then her reply came, "Kent? Come in."

He stepped inside the hut.

She still didn't look at him. She bent low and picked up a small pile of clothing. "I got these from Nlandu," she said, approaching and offering him the bundle. "You're going to need more than just a pair of pants." She shrugged. "The Bangala people don't wear shoes. Sorry."

Clark took the clothes - a pair of pants, a shirt, and a thin sweater. "Thanks," he said.

She turned away and reached into a small clay pot. "This is the money I had on me when they kidnapped me," she said, holding her hand towards him. "It's almost thirty dollars. It should be enough to get some cheap shoes and anything else you need."

Clark didn't want to take her money, but -

"Take it," she urged. "I'm never going to use it."

He took the collection of coins and bills. "Thanks," he said, pushing them into the pocket of his pants. "Thanks for planning ahead." He gave an uncomfortable chuckle that ended up sounding more like a groan. "I hadn't given much thought to the details."

In truth, he hadn't thought beyond leaving Lois, and that miserable deficiency hung between them.

A promise surged up his throat. A promise that he would do everything needed to return to this woman. But he had little faith in his own promises and knew it would provide her with scant comfort.

"I'm guessing you don't want a public farewell," Lois said.

"No," he replied quickly. "Just you."

"Come on," she said, moving towards the door. "We'll have privacy in the quarantine area."

He followed her, feeling as if he were trapped in a dream.

They arrived at the quarantine gate and pushed through it. Lois slowly shut the gate, her hand pausing on it as she stared at the ground for a long time. "I know you have to go," she said quietly. "I understand why." She looked up, her eyes crashing into his. "I'm just so scared that I'll never see you again and never hear what happened to you."

"I will come back to you," Clark promised. "Whatever it takes, however long it takes, I will not give up until I am back with you." He slipped his hand into his pocket and took out the wooden disc he had carved for her. Holding it towards her, he said, "This is for you."

She took it. She examined it for a long moment. "'C'?" she questioned.

"My name is Clark Kent," he said. "I planned to give this to you as a sign that I am willing to tell you more about myself." He gave an awkward half-laugh, half-cough. "Although I wasn't sure I would go as far as admitting that I'm an alien."

Lois traced her thumb over the 'C'. "Clark," she said. "That's a strong name. It suits you."

"You can call me either 'Clark' or 'Kent'," he said.

"I just want you to come home safely."

"I will." Clark closed her fingers around the disc. "Keep this as a sign of my promise to you, Lois. Whenever you have doubts, look at it. Hold it close to your heart and remember my promise."

Lois nodded, but with no conviction.

Clark took hold of her shoulders. "I am the strongest man on the planet," he said. "And the only thing I want is to be with you."

"Really?"

"More than anything in the world," he vowed. "I want to love you. To marry you. To live with you in the Bangala village. To help you raise Diddi."

Lois burst into rickety laughter.

"What?" Clark asked.

"Diddi was right."

"About what?"

"The first day … he asked if you were green because you'd come from the moon."

"I've never been to the moon," Clark said, smiling, too.

"He was a lot closer to the truth than I would have believed possible," Lois said.

"I …"

"You don't want me to tell him your secret?" Lois guessed.

"No. Not yet. I … I've never been comfortable with people knowing. I've always kept that part hidden and tried to pretend that I'm just like everyone else."

"I remember what a lot of people were like in Metropolis," Lois said grimly. "You're nothing like them."

He wanted to smile at her compliment, but the despair of separation settled again, snatching away the lightness of heart.

"I won't say anything to anyone," Lois promised. "But you do realise that Diddi is going to be ecstatic if he ever discovers that you're the spaceman he's always dreamed about?"

Clark curled a lock of her hair around his fingers. "Not as ecstatic as I am at discovering you are the woman I've always dreamed about."

She smiled, and for a moment, her fear retreated.

Clark wanted to fling his arms around her in joyous celebration that she knew the whole truth and wanted him, anyway. But ... "I have to go, Lois," he said. "Please tell Diddi I will see him when I get back."

"You're not going to say 'goodbye' to him?"

"No. This isn't 'goodbye'. It's a short separation before we can begin the rest of our lives."

Lois lurched forward and planted a hot and hard kiss on his mouth. "Don't forget that I'll be waiting for you," she said, drawing away.

"Never." Then, Clark rose slowly from the ground. He hovered for a few moments, looking down at her and imprinting the memory of her on his heart, and then he shot into the black African sky.