Print Thread
#98397 12/15/13 05:14 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 12:21 PM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98398 12/16/13 01:46 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Dr. Wellwood's disappearance is suspicious. The question is whether it's related to Lois or Clark.

How many people live in each district? I'm guessing it's North America, and it seems to have been severely depopulated, but it also seems like everyone in District 9 gathers in one place for the reaping, which is awfully small.

#98399 12/16/13 04:45 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by AmyPrime:
Dr. Wellwood's disappearance is suspicious. The question is whether it's related to Lois or Clark.

How many people live in each district? I'm guessing it's North America, and it seems to have been severely depopulated, but it also seems like everyone in District 9 gathers in one place for the reaping, which is awfully small.
Dr. Wellwood's disappearance may be related to Lois or Clark, or both, or neither (maybe he's just off on a bender after filling out death certificates for 23 children). Keep reading--the answer will be revealed eventually.

As to the populations of each district--the population of North America (Panem consists of portions of the United States, Mexico, and Canada) is significantly reduced from what it is now (the current estimated total population of those three countries is roughly 470 million people, with the U.S. having the most and Canada the fewest). The population of each district varies--District 12 is the smallest, with about 8,000 people, while District 11 is apparently the largest--in Catching Fire, Katniss is amazed at large District 11 is. Some fans have tried calculating the population of Panem, theorizing that the largest district (District 11) would have about 32,000 people, meaning low population density but a lot of land (which makes sense, since it's an agricultural district). District 9, another agricultural district (it produces grain), would probably have an overall population of maybe 24,000 (harsher climate, and fewer people needed to grow and harvest grain as opposed to fruits and vegetables). 24,000 people can fit in one semi-small place if they cooperate (for comparison, 500,000 people managed to fit into 600 acres during the Woodstock festival in 1969, so 24,000 could fit into a considerably smaller space).

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98400 12/17/13 08:42 AM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
I believe that Dr Westwood's disappearance has to do with having Lois waking up on his table. Looking forward to next chapter.

#98401 12/17/13 09:45 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by AndyG:
I believe that Dr Westwood's disappearance has to do with having Lois waking up on his table. Looking forward to next chapter.
Yep, that's my guess, too. Or maybe her dad finds her waking up, and Doc Westwood is just getting away. My bet is that Clark will meet Lois on his victory tour. Only - is she able to be herself, or is she going by Lulu or Lucy or maybe Wanda? ;-)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#98402 12/17/13 01:48 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Originally posted by AndyG:
[b] I believe that Dr Westwood's disappearance has to do with having Lois waking up on his table. Looking forward to next chapter.
Yep, that's my guess, too. Or maybe her dad finds her waking up, and Doc Westwood is just getting away. My bet is that Clark will meet Lois on his victory tour. Only - is she able to be herself, or is she going by Lulu or Lucy or maybe Wanda? ;-) [/b]
Or he's having to try to save her life after she wakes up on his table. Remember, she's bleeding out...

Goodness. Where's the next part??

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
#98403 12/17/13 01:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There is a LOT to say about this week's entry, but due to time constraints my comments will be brief.

He wasn’t sure whether Snow knew about his other abilities or not, and he had no intention of asking. If Snow didn’t know about Clark’s freeze breath, his telescopic, heat, and X-ray vision, or his enhanced senses, Clark wasn’t going to tell him. Panem’s president knew too much already, and that knowledge had put too many people at risk.
Dear Clark is learning fast! Forever departed is the gentle boy from the country.

The Capitolites eventually lost interest in some victors, especially those who made no effort to maintain their celebrity status. Most of them were still left alone by Snow, who used popular victors to gain favor with other powerful Capitolites. Some attractive victors were forced into prostitution, while those who possessed special skills had their talents sold for Snow’s benefit. Once a victor no longer interested the public, they could no longer be used to gain favor, and became valueless to Panem’s president. These victors were largely ignored, but on occasion, they became pawns in Snow’s schemes to control other victors.
Like I said, President Snow makes Lex look like a pussycat.

“No, you didn’t.” When Clark looked at him, Haver went on, “You weren’t drunk, either. You only had one and a half glasses of champagne and no other alcoholic drinks — yes, I was watching. Matilda got so drunk at her Victory Banquet that I thought it was a good idea to keep an eye on you. Also, you didn’t act like you were impaired at all, and when you came back from talking to Snow, you looked anxious, not intoxicated. Now, what really happened?”
From the moment Haver was introduced, he seemed like a man who was playing a dangerous - and deeper game. He understands Clark's behavior and feelings better than anyone in the Capitol, he will either be a good ally or an implacable enemy.

Marcius sighed, unable to understand why Clark was so eager to leave the Capitol and return to his impoverished home district. “Yes, then you’ll be going home.”
Marcius on the other hand is...

Silently, the three of them went to greet the crowd gathered around the station, waiting to welcome back their victor.
And now the real games begin ...

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard