Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Story can be found here

Thanks in advance for the feedback and story advice.

Last edited by Shallowford; 04/27/14 05:36 PM.

Shallowford
U
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
U
Ha! That was great! clap I liked the explanation for why Lois would tell someone to take the keys. Using her keys as a distraction so that she could rout the bad guys while Clark just stood there still deciding what to do -- it was so perfect for her character (and his too, really)!

‘Attempted robbery at the jewelry store. Suspects apprehended with injuries.’ Henderson says, ‘That’s got to be Lane!’
rotflol Yup. Who else?

Lois started. “As I was saying to my partner here, it pays to be observant.
Hmm. A wee bit ironic, that. <g>

BTW, I loved the way you tied this in with Superman's drei-fight against Nor. It was the perfect ending! Thanks for the laugh.

Ultra Lucille
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Thanks for the feedback. BTW UL--You may have noticed I borrowed your disclaimer (but with attribution). Thanks.

I debated whether Lois would have a repeat performance if the police taking her keys as evidence but figured that'd be too far.

It always bothered me that Clark could pick up a drei and practice for a weekend and fight competently against someone who had been doing it most of his life. There is a storyline between the jewelry store that winds through Chi of Steel and arrives at the end but RL isn't giving me much time to do it justice.

Shallowford
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story smile

"You take the keys." Lois said as she tossed them. Clark almost missed what happened next. It was as graceful as ballet and... well...the only word for it was ‘vicious’. As the man was momentarily distracted by the keys, Lois leaped into the air. Her right foot crashed into the side of his head. Her momentum carried her into a roll to the left and her fist connected with the second man's nose with a crunch. As she landed her other fist collided with the outside of his knee. In moments both men were down, one unconscious and one incapacitated, guns forgotten.
Really liked how you used the above line to start the story and how the keys are made into a distraction. Creative!

“Like that was ever going to happen.” She waved her hand near her hairline. “Look, do I have ‘chump” written on my forehead or something? There’s no way anyone but me is driving that Jeep and there was no way I was going with them to drive. Simple. Bullet-proof vests, so body shots are out. They had guns so it had to be unexpected and incapacitate quickly. They were stupid enough to get that close to me. In fact, the way they kept me between them and Clark they were probably worried about him doing something. Anyhow, they’re not the brightest bulbs in the box,” she concluded.
Loved how you wrote Lois here--sounded very true to her character....liked the 'chump' part, also smile

Thanks--enjoyed it!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
U
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
U
BTW UL--You may have noticed I borrowed your disclaimer (but with attribution). Thanks.
blush I'm glad you liked it (and thought it was worth using)!

It always bothered me that Clark could pick up a drei and practice for a weekend and fight competently against someone who had been doing it most of his life.
I totally agree!

There is a storyline between the jewelry store that winds through Chi of Steel and arrives at the end but RL isn't giving me much time to do it justice.
I look forward to reading your version, if RL ever gives you the time to write it! wink

Ultra Lucille
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was cute until the ending and then it was AWESOME! The ending with Superman twirling the drei and going to fight Nor was the perfect touch.
Excellent. Speaking of Kerth's, this needs to go in the short stories.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No one can beat Lois when it comes to smelling out a story! Henderson learned that long ago! thanks for the chuckle.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Shallowford!

Lois gives crooks her keys while at a jewelry store?

"You take the keys." Lois said as she tossed them. Clark almost missed what happened next.
Lois going to use a distraction?

In moments both men were down, one unconscious and one incapacitated, guns forgotten.
Clark probably needs a fresh set of underwear, though.

Clark rolled his eyes. Things were going very well with Lois, but for some reason he had gotten butterflies in his stomach when she had asked him to go to the jewelry store over lunch. That feeling eased somewhat when she said she needed to buy earrings for her mother's birthday present, which confused him further.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Originally posted by Darth Michael:

They were both pretty lumpy in the wrong places so I was sure they were wearing bullet-proof vests.
Pretty well organized robbers.

If you want to go double or nothing, I’ll bet you find plans for the robbery inside. I won’t bet on the crayon.”
wave Michael [/QB]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback.

About the Kevlar...I was thinking about two losers who found the vests secondhand and decided (based on that alone) that they could take their criminal enterprises to the next level. No more Quickie Marts and stealing from the tip jar at the local bar for them. They've moved on to better things. Big bright future. Not much of a getaway plan. No fence to take the stolen jewels to. No brain, no pain.

Shallowford
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Deleted double post.

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
About the Kevlar...I was thinking about two losers who found the vests secondhand and decided (based on that alone) that they could take their criminal enterprises to the next level.
Ooooh! That is a great idea! wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually S, that sounds like a good idea from Michael. Just a thought. thumbsup

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I liked this story, although Clark seemed to be largely an observer. I really loved the line about Clark being hesitant about going to a jewelry store with Lois. Although part of me finds it odd Lois would buy her mother a gift.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Although part of me finds it odd Lois would buy her mother a gift.
It's probably some significant birthday or something like that, where if Lois doesn't get her a gift, Ellen will give her guilt for the rest of Lois's life. smile

Excellent story!

I also like that Clark realizes he has to up his game - he can't count on Superman saving the day all the time. He needs to work on martial arts so he can explain any slips.

S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Darth Michael--I like the Church tie-in. I'm planning to expand the story and I'll include it.

John--The longer version that goes from this scene through the fight with Nor would be primarily from Clark's perspective. I actually wanted him to be useless here to give him the impetus to develop other skills.

IolantheAlias--Yep. Guilt is what I had in mind. I didn't do much explanation for the gift because I wanted to keep the flashback short and I wanted to devote some time to Clark's reaction. I liked the opening line challenge and wrote it with the cuts to make the line work but I will probably rearrange them in a rewrite.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I intend to keep working on this story but I can't promise any timelines. I have one idea that I haven't really seen before that goes with the story and I'd like to do it well.

By the way, I'm really surprised that no one has commented on Clark's sandwich. Did everyone assume Lois was being sarcastic?

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Darth Michael--I like the Church tie-in. I'm planning to expand the story and I'll include it.
Oooh! Looking forward to it on the archives wave Michael

S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
More proof that truth is stranger than fiction. (As if we needed it.) Edited for length, link to full story below:

As they headed for the Wells Fargo bank that morning, they could have been mistaken for any ordinary couple walking down the street.

That's when a Good Samaritan showed up.

A woman nearby saw the two people heading for the ATM. She heard a scream and immediately realized something was amiss.

She asked the woman directly, "Are you OK?"

The woman replied, "No."

But the man with the knife, interjected, "Yes, she's OK,"

But for the Good Samaritan, this was not good enough. She flung the car keys she was holding directly at (the attacker) -- who became flustered. In that split second, the victim was able to break free and run off. The Good Samaritan then called 911, alerted authorities to what had happened, and described the attacker.

Shallowford

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard