Print Thread
#98192 11/30/13 02:09 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 12:16 PM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98193 12/03/13 02:07 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Finally!

This time of year makes it almost impossible to leave comments during the week and sometimes during the weekend! eek

And now, without further ado...

It was two days before Clark left his room in the Training Center. He wasn’t sure that he would be able to rest at first — not with so much on his mind. His exhausted body, however, had other ideas. He was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.
This is the first time I can remember Clark being wiped out from something other than Kryptonite, one hour's sleep in nine days will wipe anyone out. Add the tremendous fear and stress Clark had to endure would leave even a super-powered teen looking for a deep night's sleep. Very realistic.

She nodded again, stepping out the door and locking it behind her. Clark reached for the tray, wondering, as he had on the train to the Capitol, what constituted treason and why a person had to be punished for life for it — and why it was that such persons were treated as nonentities, as though they were machines useful only for obeying commands, rather than living, thinking human beings with as much right to respect and acknowledgment as anyone else.
Will the Avoxs play an important role going forward?

Unable to resist, Clark used his superhearing to listen to the girls’ conversation, though he knew they would be mortified if they knew he was listening. The girl who had pointed to his window showed the magazine to her friends, then squealed, “He’s so handsome! I can’t wait for his interviews — I’m going to record them so I can watch them every day!” She punctuated her words by kissing Clark’s picture.
Scary. If these young girls were dropped into present day, they could be talking about the boy band, New Direction. Apparently the young people of the Captiol have a skewered view of reality. Especially since they never have to be concerned about becoming a tribute.

The fact that Clark is anxious to get home and leave these crazy people behind is further proof that his humanity is intact. Although it is doubtful his life back in Smallville, District 9 will be anything but normal.

“Lucky you,” Matilda muttered. “He kept me in the hospital for over two weeks.”

“That’s because you had three broken ribs and a punctured lung,” Haver reminded her. “Clark just needed to rest.”
Matilda is difficult, but considering what she has had to endure its understandable. Still I cannot help but think that there is a backstory here somewhere ...

Clark frowned, tasting the wine again. It didn’t quite taste sour to him, either. Shrugging, he took another sip. He still thought it could use sweetening, but it wasn’t any worse than black coffee — and definitely better than some things he’d tasted recently, like those foul-tasting berries he’d eaten in the arena.
Snort! goofy He can drink as much as he wants and never even get a buzz! LOL!

“Still unacceptable. He gets what he needs to survive, and he should be grateful for that. He could as easily have been executed for treason. Living as an Avox is a mercy.”
Who or what are the Avox and why are they treated so badly? frown

“A man named Lex Luthor. He’s the wealthiest person in Panem, and is second in influence only to President Snow.”

Clark’s eyes widened with shock and a hint of fear. “I’ve seen him on television a couple of times.”
If Lex is here, can Mrs. Cox and all the other bad guys be far behind? Clark will have to watch his step, Lex ALWAYS has an agenda.

“Clark!” Haver lowered his voice when he realized how loud their argument was getting. “You have to give a plausible answer that absolves you of responsibility. The Gamemakers are not pleased that you covered that camera and denied the audience the chance to watch Lois die.”

“To hell with the Gamemakers!”

“Listen to me, Clark. The Capitol audience has a short memory. The Gamemakers do not. Neither does Snow. For the sake of the future tributes of District 9, try to make it seem like an innocent mistake. You don’t want them taking out their anger at you on future tributes.”
jawdrop These guys are seriously twisted!

“Now,” Haver continued, “Marcius will undoubtedly have you up early to meet with your prep team. Even though your interview isn’t until 7:30, he’ll insist upon having everything perfect. You can stay here for a while if you want, but you should go back to your room at some point and try to rest. I doubt you’ll have time tomorrow, and tomorrow night will be a late night.”

With that, Haver turned and headed for the elevator, leaving Clark alone with his thoughts.
There are times when I want to hug Haver and other times, slug him!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#98194 12/07/13 02:11 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Still reading and enjoying!

#98195 12/07/13 11:24 AM
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
I'm curious to see where you will be taking this now that the Hunger Games are done.

Anxiously awaiting the next part!

#98196 12/07/13 05:29 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Will the Avoxs play an important role going forward?
Some will, yes.

“Lucky you,” Matilda muttered. “He kept me in the hospital for over two weeks.”

“That’s because you had three broken ribs and a punctured lung,” Haver reminded her. “Clark just needed to rest.”
Matilda is difficult, but considering what she has had to endure its understandable. Still I cannot help but think that there is a backstory here somewhere ...[/QUOTE]
Yes, there is a backstory. I'll be telling it in a later chapter.

Who or what are the Avox and why are they treated so badly? frown
Avoxes are persons guilty of treason (which can be just about anything) who have their tongues removed so they can't speak and are forced to work as slaves.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98197 12/07/13 05:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm hoping that Lois isn't really dead (only "mostly dead"). But that's a plot thread for a later chapter.

I love Haver's cynicism and political nous. He knows what will play in the Capitol and how Clark should act in this totalitarian society.

I'm hoping that Clark will be one of the leaders of the revolt which is sadly overdue.

#98198 01/09/14 06:25 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Honestly, I have to confess something... When I read that this story will be based in the hunger games, I declined the idea of reading it, but curiosity killed the cat and suddenly I got trapped in la vorágine emocional de la historia and it has been impossible to stop reading!!!

I really thought Lysander's father would be Trask! And I had elaborated a hole new plot where, due to his anger for seen his son "killed by Clark" atar cabos, assuming his alliennes and send kirptonite the last day, and...... so many things pass through my mind! But when I read that is Lex the father my face looked like jawdrop and my heart skip a beat and get totally excited with this new idea, and at the same time, feel SO worried for Clark and Lois (who I'm sure will survive)... I'm eager to read the next chapters!!!!!

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"
#98199 01/09/14 06:39 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
blush

I told you! I'm eager to keep reading, that I forgot to translate some of my thoughts and write in spanglish!!! Ooops.... sorry about that. So, there I go again, hoping you can understand what I'm trying to say blush

Honestly, I have to confess something... When I read that this story will be based in the hunger games, I declined the idea of reading it, but curiosity killed the cat and suddenly I got trapped in the story's emotional whirl and it has been impossible to stop reading!!!

I really thought Lysander's father would be Trask! And I had elaborated a hole new plot where, due to his anger for seen his son "killed by Clark" put two and two together, assume his "alliennes" and send kirptonite the last day, and...... so many things pass through my mind! But when I read that is Lex the father my face looked like jawdrop and my heart skip a beat and get totally excited with this new idea, and at the same time, feel SO worried for Clark and Lois (who I'm sure will survive)... I'm eager to read the next chapters!!!!!

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard