Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark TOC can be found Here

Where we left off in Part 145 of As the Cape Flaps

“Hi, Cat. It’s Clark,” he said when she answered. “I’m back and just got your messages.”

“Clark! Thank God! I’ve been worried sick,” Cat said frantically into the phone. “I was afraid that you might do something rash without knowing the truth and…”

“So, you knew she knew and you didn’t tell me?” he interrupted, opening his fridge and then closing it again quickly. He would clean it as soon as he was off the phone.

“How did I know you were going to go there?” Cat said, and Clark figured she was rolling her eyes. “Look, HotPants, that’s between you and her. I didn’t sign up to do full-disclosures. I didn’t tell her that you were lying, and I didn’t tell you that she was lying. Don’t blame me for what was essentially your mistake.”

“You’re right, Cat. I’m sorry,” Clark murmured. He should know by now that a woman was never wrong. He should just shoulder the blame and move on. He picked up the blank envelope, which had been on his landing when he came in. The flap was open. He glanced down at it. At some point, it had been sealed. He could see that the glue of the envelope had been used, but someone other than him had opened it.

“Why don’t we get together tonight for an early dinner before I have to hit the charity circuit? I’d like you to meet Phil, and we can talk about Lois,” Cat suggested. “I know a great bistro over in the West End.”

“Uh-huh. That sounds good,” Clark murmured. It wasn’t as if he and Cat could really talk with Phil there, or at a public restaurant. He pulled the card out of the envelope, but it was blank. He flipped it over.

STOP IT! The card shouted at him in bold-printed letters. It was unsigned. Clark raised a brow, completely dumbfounded by what the sender wanted him to stop.

Part 146

Lois locked her door, jogged down the stairs, and out her building’s front door. She waited for a car to pass, and then jay-jogged directly over to the man in the brown jacket, who was leaning on the building across the street.

“Hi,” she said, stopping and holding out her hand. “I’m Lois Lane.”

The man looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights of her semi truck. “Hi, Lois,” he squeaked.

“And you are?” she inquired.

“Uh… Mitch… Mitch Gordon,” the man mumbled as he stood straighter and removed himself from the wall.

“Nice to meet you, Mitch. I used to date a Mitchell, but I dumped him because he was a total hypochondriac.” She paused and waited for him to respond.

Mitch merely stared at her as if he had never spoken to a beautiful woman before and wasn’t quite sure what to do.

“Do you want his full name and address for your notes? Or do you already have a record of him?” she asked, setting her unshook hand on her hip. “You can tell your boss that Mitchell’s really a nobody and completely unimportant in the grand scheme of my life. I’d have totally forgotten about him, if your names weren’t the same.”

Mitch swallowed and looked away. “Look, lady, I don’t know…”

“Do you think your boss would be dating me if I were an idiot?”

The man’s eyes widened and appeared more nervous, glancing behind him.

“You’re wise not to answer that,” she said with a decisive nod. “It’s a no-win question. I know that you or one of your buddies has been following me around for the past week. You’re good, but I’m better. So, I figure I should come and introduce myself. It’ll make your job easier,” Lois said. “It’s not your fault your boss is all paranoid about my well-being.” She rolled her eyes and held out a piece of paper. “This is a list of all my appointments today and tomorrow, so far. I’ll be jogging ten miles this morning. I’ve included the route, there, since…” She looked his pudgy body up and down. “You won’t be able to keep up. I’ll be ending up at that bakery next door to the lamp store on the corner, where I’ll be getting a croissant and a coffee,” she explained, indicating the direction of the bakery with a movement of her thumb. “Do you want me to pick you up something?”

Mitch appeared tempted, but he said, “No, that’s okay.”

“Are you sure? They’ve got great pastries.” When he didn’t answer, she continued, “No, then. Your loss. Next, I’m going back inside to take a shower and to read the Daily Planet. I may not work there anymore, but it’s still the best newspaper in town. I’ll also be reading copies of the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Gotham Gazette. As you can see from my itinerary, I have appointments with each of those three newspapers this afternoon and tomorrow. They each seemed eager to have me work in their Metropolis bureau office. How do I know this? Because when they heard I was no longer with the Daily Planet, they called me to interview with them. Then tonight, I’ll be doing my community service over at the Fifth Street Mission as I’ll be doing every night for the foreseeable future.” She waved off that information. “But you already know that, don’t you? If I do several hours every day, I’ll have wiped those one-hundred court-ordered hours clean by the middle of next month.” She shrugged. “I guess that was bound to happen when one hangs out with criminals and murderers.” She stared him in the eye as she said this, taunting him and informing him that he didn’t scare her. “Tonight, after I leave the Mission, I’ll be going to the Haratchi Dojo…” Lois pointed at the list. “I’ve included the address. I told my Sensei that I’d cover his advanced personal defense classes for the rest of this week.” She stretched her arms out, starting to do her morning warm-ups in front of him, including kicking her leg up against the wall next to him and leaning down against her knee. “A woman can never be too careful, you know. This is a dangerous city.”

Mitch finally found his voice, and cleared it before speaking, more to her leg than to her face, “It is, Ms. Lane, and Mr. Luthor just wants to make sure you stay safe.”

Bull’s eye and bull… droppings as Clark would say. To start with, Mitch had mentioned Lex’s name first. Secondly, Lois knew if Lex were truly worried about anyone attacking her, he wouldn’t have sent this guy to protect her.

“You tell Mr. Luthor for me, Mitch, that he needs to make a decision about our relationship. Either he returns my phone calls or he stops hiring personal security to follow me around, so I can get on with my life,” Lois replied with a smile, waving her fingers and jogging off down the street.

Dinner with Cat and Phil was awkward, Clark decided afterwards. He liked Phil, and still was amazed that this guy attracted a woman like Cat. He wasn’t Cat’s normal type. George from the night they were held hostage was more Cat’s type. He could tell Phil was uncomfortable around him as well. Cat disappeared fifteen minutes into the evening to ‘powder her nose’, and Clark knew she was giving them a chance to size each other up.

Phil looked Clark over. “So, how do you know Cat again?” he asked.

“We work together at the Daily Planet,” Clark replied.

“Yeah, I got that, but… why are you friends?”

Clark wasn’t planning to get into that subject with this guy or anyone else in the near or far future. It didn’t turn out so well the last time. “Cat likes to tell jokes, and I like to laugh at them,” he stated dryly. ‘Roll his eyes at them’ was more accurate.

He could tell Phil didn’t believe him, but that might have something to do with the fact Clark hadn’t smiled since he arrived. That had nothing to do with Cat or Phil, though.

“So, did you two used to date?” Phil asked, taking a sip of his water.

Clark shook his head. “No.”

Phil leaned forward. “Why not?”

“She’s not my type,” Clark replied. Cat’s fiancé appeared torn between being glad and taking offense, so Clark continued as to ease the guy’s mind, “There was someone else. Cat helped pave the way for me.”

“Oh,” Phil said with relief, and then his brows knit with worry. “Was?”

Clark took a sip of his beer and gazed up at the ceiling, not wishing to talk about Lois, especially with this stranger.

“So, if Cat were available now…?”

“She’s not,” Clark reassured him.

“But if she was…”

“Cat and I are just friends, and she’s crazy about you,” Clark added. Even if she weren’t, it would never happen.

“I keep pinching myself, wondering when this fantasy dream will end,” Phil admitted, relaxing. “She’s just so…” He sighed. “Perfect.”

“Nobody’s perfect,” Clark corrected. “Take those blinders off now and you’ll be happier in the long run.”

Phil stared at him. It wasn’t the type of advice most newly engaged couples received, especially from one of their best friends. “Oh,” he finally said. “So, it was a recent break-up, was it?”

Wow, he figured that out himself. He really must be a rocket scientist, Clark thought bitterly before taking another sip of his beer. Aloud he mumbled, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Cat, thankfully, returned then and set a hand on a shoulder of each of them. “So, how did you boys get along without me?” she asked, glancing between them. “The best of friends, I hope.”

Phil leaned towards her, and whispered, “You could have warned me about his recent break-up.”

Cat shook her head. “Don’t worry, Phil. This is another one of those times when Clark totally misunderstood what’s going on and probably stuck his foot in his mouth.”

Clark glared at her. “You weren’t there. She was quite clear.”

Phil glanced between them nervously. “Cat, I wouldn’t…”

She raised a hand to hush him as she turned to her co-worker. “Clark, she told me everything. I know what’s going on.”

“Recently?” Clark snapped. “She told you recently what’s going on?”

“Um… no, not that recently, but she was quite adamant that if you should ever get the wrong idea, I was to set you straight,” Cat retorted. “There were all these awful metaphors about condoms and protection and…”

Clark’s gaze narrowed.

Cat wiped her previous sentence out the air. “Now, don’t you even think that!” she insisted, pointing at him. “You know me. Everything I say is sexually bent. It doesn’t mean I’m actually talking about sex!”

Phil’s eyes were wide with alarm now. “Cat?”

She patted her fiancé’s thigh. Clark couldn’t actually see the pat, but he could hear it. “Don’t worry, lover,” she placated Phil with a kiss to his cheek. “Lois and Clark often misunderstand each other.”

“I proposed. She turned me down flat. Where’s there to misunderstand?” Clark inquired.

The waiter chose that unfortunate pause in the conversation to deliver the bottle of champagne to the table. He saw Clark’s stormy expression and almost turned away with it again.

“No, we’ll take that. Cat, we’re here to celebrate your and Phil’s engagement. Let’s not ruin your happiness with talking about my failed love life,” Clark insisted, trying to move the topic off his disastrous love life.

Cat’s finger pointed at Clark again. “We’re not through.”

“Yes, we are, Cat. I’m not discussing this anymore. Lois has made her decision, and so have you,” Clark said, lifting up his champagne flute. “At least, you made the right one. To the happy couple!”

Phil downed his entire glass in one gulp.

Cat took a sip, and mumbled under her breath, “Get over yourself already, Clark.”

What did you say?” Clark roared.

She raised a brow, daring him to cross her. “You heard me.”

Phil glanced between them. “Did you say something, Cat?”

Cat folded her hand lovingly over Phil’s and smiled at him. “No.”

“Do you want to explain that comment?” Clark asked, bristling.

“Stop thinking that the world revolves around the glory that is you, Clark,” Cat scoffed. “The choices she makes don’t always have to do with you… Well, directly… I mean stemming from something you did wrong. Although, I have to say proposing was the worst possible thing you could’ve done. I, personally, would’ve recommended an alternative course of action, but you didn’t consult me. You’ve really lodged your foot in it, this time, Honeybuns. We might have to call a plumber.”

“Well, thanks for the advice there, Cat. I could have used it before now,” Clark returned. Apparently, Lois was an open book everyone was an expert on, except him. “Anyway, people would have said the same about you, and they would have been wrong.”

“The difference between Lois and me is that Lois hates marriage with a passion and everything having to do with it. Correction: she fears marriage, almost as much as she fears being in a relationship,” Cat said. “I, on the other hand, hadn’t found anyone worthy of lifetime of my love, until I met Phil.”

Phil turned pink as he gazed at Cat hungrily. She leaned over and kissed him deeply, causing Clark to look away.

“Lois doesn’t ‘fear’ marriage,” Clark corrected.

“In the past few years, Lois has been invited to two of her cousin’s weddings and she didn’t attend either event,” Cat stated as proof.

“How do you know that?” Clark asked. He didn’t even know Lois had any cousins, let alone several married ones.

Cat looked upwards in annoyance. “We practically share a desk there, Sherlock. I heard her discussing it with her mother on several occasions.”

Clark stared at Cat. He couldn’t believe Lois would ever discuss anything that private at work, let alone with her mother, but Cat had nothing to gain by lying.

“And when Valdez got married, Lois refused to come to her wedding too,” Cat informed him. “And that was before Claude.”

“Who’s Claude?” Phil asked.

“No one important,” Cat lied.

“She hates Valdez,” Clark reminded her.

Cat waved away such a minor fact. “No, she doesn’t. She claims shared hatred with everyone on the staff, save you… and Jimmy, because he’s her toady. The only reason she fell in love with you is that you never take her B.S. She respects you for it. Well, that, and your rockin’ hot bod.”

Phil glanced over at her and then Clark before pouring himself another glass of champagne.

“Jimmy is not her toady,” Clark said, defending his friend. “Anyway, I never see her socializing with anyone outside of work.”

“She socializes with you,” Cat countered, taking another sip of her champagne. “Anyway, Lois and Valdez respect each other as co-workers.”

“Do you mean that Lois respects Valdez as she respects you?” Clark asked innocently, knowing full well of Lois’s animosity towards his best friend.

“Wait? Clark’s ex-girlfriend doesn’t like you, Cat? Why?” Phil asked.

“Because I don’t take her B.S. either, and she doesn’t respect me for it. Probably because I look completely different naked,” Cat laughed.

Clark couldn’t tell if Cat was insulting herself or him, but if he had to guess it would be ‘him’ via Lois.

“She hates that I’m more beautiful than she is and more comfortable with my body. Oh, and she’s totally jealous of my friendship with Clarkie, here,” Cat said, reaching over and patting Clark’s cheek. “She hates that I have this rapport with him that she doesn’t have. Anyway, Lois respects Valdez more than she used to disrespect me.” Cat paused to take another sip of her champagne. When she lowered her glass, Clark could see she was beaming with pride. “But I’ve gained her respect and trust lately.”

Clark went still, all expression falling from his face. What was Cat saying? She knew that Lois knew, so Lois must know that Cat knew. Oh, no! It was worse than he suspected. “Did…did you tell her… how… when you…?” He swallowed.

Cat’s beaming smile became Cheshire Cat huge. “She figured out that tidbit all on her own.”

No wonder Lois was furious at him. Clark dropped his head into his hand.

“Tell her what?” Phil asked, completely lost.

“It’s not important, dear,” Cat reassured him.

“I’m sorry, Phil. Cat and I really shouldn’t discuss this in front of you,” Clark reminded her, shooting her a warning glance. They shouldn’t discuss it at all.

“What? What were you discussing?” Phil asked, baffled.

“That Lois hates everything to do with marriage,” Cat lied, taking another sip of her champagne.

Clark took a sip from his glass as well. “Not everything, apparently,” he grumbled under his breath.

“Yes, Clark, everything.”

“Then why is she considering getting married to that… that…?” Clark decided that he was in too polite company, even with Cat there, to speak the words that came to his mind to describe Luthor.

Cat leaned towards Clark. “Why indeed, Clark? That is the question,” she said, shooting him a pointed look. “Why?

The food arrived a few minutes later, and Lois wasn’t brought up in conversation again, but she never strayed far from Clark’s thoughts as he considered Cat’s puzzle. At the end of dinner, Clark shook Phil’s hand and kissed Cat’s cheek.

“Let me think about what you said,” Clark suggested. “Perhaps you can come over soon and we can discuss how I can help with the wedding.”

Cat practically threw her arms around him. “I knew you’d figure it out,” she whispered in his ear.

Clark nodded vaguely, not quite sure what it was he was supposed to have figured out.

When Clark arrived home that evening, he found another beige note card waiting for him on his landing. He picked it up and pulled out the already opened card.

I mean it. Stop it!

Clark still had no idea to what the card was referring. There were plenty of things in his life he should put to a stop. Did the writer want him to stop loving Lois? He might as well stop breathing. Stop some dangerous situation? No, that would require the writer to know he was Superman. Since he had just left dinner with the one person in Metropolis, other than Lois, who knew his secret, he doubted that was it. Stop an investigation? Which one? Right. He had been suspended, and anyway, he didn’t have any ongoing investigations at the moment... Other than Luthor, and that investigation had stalled months ago. Stop Lois from getting engaged to Luthor? He sighed. Sure, with one wave of his magic wand Lois would no longer be blind. Oh, look, that didn’t work.

He scanned the card to see if he could find a telltale hint of who sent it and, therefore, give him a nudge in the correct direction what exactly this person wanted him to stop.

In the middle of the top of the card was a faint smear of chocolate.

Lois?

His heart beat for the first time since Saturday. The sensation felt odd, almost as if there was a flutter of something alive in his chest.

Hope.

This was ridiculous. He was no Pandora’s Box.

No, it couldn’t be Lois.

Lots of people ate chocolate.

What would Lois want him to stop doing? Anyway, he hadn’t seen her in days. Unless she meant flying over her apartment to see if she was still alive. He could see that meaning; if it weren’t for the fact that the first card had arrived while he was out of town. He did fly over her apartment on his way back to the Daily Planet from Brazil this morning. She wasn’t home.

Clark heard a scream. It echoed in his ears. He should go put on the Suit. He hadn’t worn it all week. He had told Perry that Superman was back on the job. He needed to be back on the job. He needed to drop that card and do what he did best.

Lose himself in the Uniform.

Lois had picked up her croissant and coffee, and was heading back to her apartment. She slowed down at her neighborhood newsstand to buy the morning papers.

Her interviews the previous day with the Washington Post and the Gotham Gazette had gone well, very well, except that both papers wanted her to relocate to their home cities. The Washington Post had been impressed with her investigative reporting, and especially her three Kerth wins. The Gotham Gazette was so excited that she was available and had expertise with getting exclusives with Superman that they also offered her a nice bump in salary. They should’ve known that they could offer her Bruce Wayne’s salary at Wayne Industries and she’d still refuse them.

Gotham City was no Metropolis.

Batman was no Superman.

Hell, they could’ve thrown in a date with Bruce Wayne and she’d still have told them ‘no’. Not that they had or she had, only that she was still weighing her options. Although, she had never before interviewed the playboy CEO…

Nah. At this point in her life, she would prefer a real date with a Kansan farmboy wannabee than another billionaire. Of course, Bruce Wayne did have the positive aspect of living on the front page of every tabloid in America and, therefore, not having a single solitary secret since returning to Gotham City from his well-publicized disappearance into the Himalayas. On the negative side, though, he was a glorified and spoiled trust fund boy, emphasis on ‘boy’. She had dated a frat boy before. Once had been more than enough. Bruce was known for boozing and carousing, so she doubted he had a single actual thought in his head. How incredibly boring was that? With her luck, he’d probably end up having a love child, or three, who he wasn’t publicly acknowledging. Nope, she’d stick with her Kryptonian reporter with the hero complex, thank you very much. Better the lunkhead she knew, than the one she didn’t.

Lois purchased a New York Times and a Daily Planet, and continued on to her apartment. At the front door to her building, she turned and waved at Mitch. He embarrassingly returned the wave. He hadn’t followed her all the way on her jog this morning, so she had easily met with Jonas Peabody, her robotics friend from S.T.A.R. Labs. She had slipped the watch from her grandmother into his pocket on her first lap around Hobs Bay Park and had picked it up off the ground where he dropped it on her last lap. According to his attached note, Jonas had found a tracer in her watch, but no auditory recording devices. It was the same set-up as the LoLex watch, which made her curious as to why Lex had returned her the watch in the first place.

The night before, she had asked Rat if he knew about the robbery at the coffee bar. He had no information, but said he knew someone who might. She then gave him a Double Fudge Crunch Bar with another note for Clark and another five-dollar bill.

She only hoped that Clark took her advice to stop moping and to get Superman’s butt back into the air before someone associated Clark’s disappearance with that of Superman’s. So, she had rejected his awful marriage proposal. Granted, she had reacted badly, but she had been angry that he thought so little of her that he would even consider proposing marriage with a huge lie dangling over them. Okay, she was still angry about that. Just because she didn’t want to get married didn’t mean it was the end of the world, did it? She still loved him. She had told him that. Geez, did she need to hang a poster in her window with a picture of an octopus and the words ‘I love you’ in big letters?

If only she could.

She scoffed. Boy, wouldn’t that get her in trouble with Lex?

Lois sat down at her dining room table with a sigh and pulled the Daily Planet towards her. She knew she should be starting with the New York Times to prepare for her interview this afternoon, but her heart still belonged to the Daily Planet.

A small nothing story on the fifth page caught her attention. Although, it was credited to a DP Staffer, Lois recognized the style immediately.

Superman Returns from Meditation Trip” the headline announced. “After spending last week searching for nuclear bombs and dismantling them, Superman took a few days to meditate and to visit friends around the world. The bombs had been located under various cities around the United States, allegedly hidden by the Nazi Party in hope of coercing the American people to submit to the party’s will and leadership. Superman has now returned to the United States and plans to continue his patrols above its fair cities.

Nobody could do vague but factually accurate stories like Clark Kent. Nobody could write a Superman story without fanfare like him either. Yep, her partner was back. She glanced over her shoulder towards her windows, but didn’t see any blue except that of the sky.

Lois read the story again. Meditate, huh? She frowned, wishing she knew a way to talk to Clark without risking his life or hers. She was walking a fine line with Lex as it was, sending him veiled ultimatums through his spies. If she hadn’t seen Mitch this morning, she would have thought that Lex had given up his all-consuming love for Lois. No such luck.

As she continued to peruse the news, Lois wondered why Perry didn’t credit the story to Clark. That wasn’t like him. Another story in the International section also caught her eye. Again, strangely enough, it was accredited to a DP Staffer. Only one other person that she knew of at the Daily Planet knew that there was a hero in the Brazilian rainforest who went by the name ‘Jaguar’. Unless Clark had blabbered the story to Cat or Jimmy – and Lois knew neither of them had written that story.

She cocked her head to the side and gazed out the windows again as her mind drifted back to that night Barbara Trevino had tried to kill her in the bullpen supply closet.

Clark had disappeared for hours that night… actually, he hadn’t. Superman had arrived shortly after Jimmy had rescued her from Trevino and the hero had offered to take the attempted murderess to the police. Superman had actually tried to lay blame at Clark’s feet for Trevino almost killing her.

Lois winced. Why did he always blame himself if someone else harmed her? She remembered clearly arguing over this fact with Superman before convincing him to head straight to the Brazilian rainforest to stop Hobs Mining from illegally razing a whole quadrant of it. She knew Clark loved her, but why must that love always manifest itself as paranoia about her safety?

Sure, she wasn’t invulnerable like he was, but sometimes he acted as if any little thing could kill her. It was the fact that he thought she couldn’t take care of herself, which miffed her. She didn’t mind him rescuing her, really she didn’t. It was the saving her from her life, which annoyed her most.

It had taken Clark over three hours to return. No. That wasn’t right. Damn Clark and his dual personas. How in the hell was she supposed to keep anything straight in her head? ‘Clark’ had been missing for three hours, but it had only been two hours since ‘Superman’ had left to stop Hobs Mining. She had been so worried because Clark hadn’t returned in those hours after the police had hauled Trevino off to jail, and then when he had returned he had been acting weird. She had discounted the whole thing as jealousy for Luthor, but had it stemmed partially from not being there to save her from Trevino? She had insisted that Clark walk her home, hoping she could get inside his head and reassure him that it was him not anyone else that she wanted.

They had just arrived at her apartment when Clark told her about Superman meeting the Jaguar.

Actually, off the record, Superman told me that it wasn’t him who had initially stopped Hobs Mining, but a masked vigilante, who had sabotaged the equipment,” Clark had said.

Lois had leaned against her doorjamb and stared at him. “They’re coming out of the woodwork now, huh?

Who?

Heroes. First Batman, then Superman, and now this guy. Did he give you a name?” she had inquired.

Jaguar,” Clark had mumbled.

Lois glanced back down at the article in the Daily Planet about the small town priest who was attacked by men in the drug trade.

They had been searching for the ‘Jaguar’,” Clark had written. “A purportedly mythical half-man / half-jaguar said to protect the rainforest from anyone who would do it harm.

She pursed her lips. Clark had told her that the Jaguar was real, and that Superman had met him, which meant Clark had met him. Yet, here he was describing the ‘Jaguar’ as mythical. She had never known Clark blatantly to lie in an article before, unless he needed to in order to keep his secret. Then the obvious truth struck Lois. Clark was protecting the Jaguar from these men who had attacked the priest. A hint of a smile tugged at her lips. As long as he was off protecting someone, Clark would be okay.

Another memory from that night slipped to the forefront of her mind. She and Clark had argued and she had kicked him out. She had flirted with him, teased him about them sleeping together the previous night, when she had been terrified about Trevino’s threats. Clark, the lunkhead, had had the audacity to choose that moment to ask about her father. She could see now that he had been pushing her away for some reason.

Had he already been worried about that problem he alluded to while they stayed at the Lexor? Not that there was really a problem; it was all up in his head. She knew that Clark loved her. The kiss he had given her a few minutes later, under the mistletoe she had strung up by the window for Superman, had proven it. She pushed from her mind all thoughts of his subsequent bolting out the door as if his shoes were on fire and her insistence the next evening that he seek permission before placing his lips to hers, and just concentrated on that kiss.

The feel of his lips pressing against hers. His breath tickling her cheek. His gentle caresses. His body molding with hers. Loving. Accepting. Wanting. Taking. Giving. Floating.

Lois had realized later on that had been the night when she discovered how very much in love with Clark she was. One word, one look, one gesture, one… something and she would have been his, not that she even needed the “one” thing after that kiss.

She turned away from the empty blue sky and looked back at her newspaper.

Lois often wondered what would have happened if he had stayed. He could have scooped her into his arms and taken her anywhere, and never heard a word of protest from her lips. That thought was the seed from which most of her late night fantasies grew.

***End of Part 146***

Part 147

Comments

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/03/14 01:01 AM. Reason: Fixed broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.