Print Thread
#97436 09/28/13 04:32 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 11:12 AM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#97437 09/28/13 04:33 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
So far so good. I *really* need to read HG.

thumbsup

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
#97438 09/28/13 08:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This evening I discovered the three volume box set at Sam's Club for $33 and change.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#97439 09/28/13 09:22 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by KenJ:
This evening I discovered the three volume box set at Sam's Club for $33 and change.
Thanks, Ken!

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
#97440 09/29/13 12:30 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I got my set of books at Costco, though I don't remember what I paid for them. After checking them out of the school library over the summer in 2012, I had to have my own set.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

#97441 09/29/13 12:53 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sam's Club also sells them singly. Oddly enough Volume 1 is the least expensive and Volume 3 the most expensive. I would have expected them to each cost the same.

kj
#97442 09/29/13 04:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, don't miss the series - it's excellent.

This fic is great so far! Both Clark and Lois have killed, although Clark has only killed a rabbit. I hope that they have to spend some time together in the wilderness and rely upon each other - that should make interesting reading. smile

#97443 09/29/13 04:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello! smile1

I wanted to put in my two cents regarding the Hunger Games:

In my recent trips to BJ's the HG books have been absent from the shelves. Still in my local Barnes and Noble they have reserved a couple of shelves just for that series.

The launch platforms and the cornucopia were in front of a lake, but he didn’t dare to go there. That area would be under the control of the Careers by now, and any tribute attempting to get water or supplies would be killed. Clark couldn’t risk a run-in with the Careers — or any other tribute, for that matter — in his current weakened state. He also couldn’t discount the possibility that Platinum might be out there, in spite of her injuries in her fight with Lois. The last thing he needed was another exposure to Platinum’s Kryptonite pendant.
Why did the Careers stick to the cornucopia? Apparently it still contained weapons and supplies the other tributes could use? My concern is that if Platinum died someone might take the pendant as a prize ... poor Clark!

The water was clear, with only a few leaves floating on it; in fact, it was so clear that he could see the rock strewn bottom and a few fish swimming past. It smelled clean, and the single drop Clark placed on his tongue tasted fine, but he still hesitated, fearing that he was wrong. It was fast becoming apparent, though, that if he didn’t drink the water he would suffer severely from dehydration, perhaps even die from it, before he regained his invulnerability. If he did drink it, he might get sick, though that was far from a certainty, especially since the water was clear and moving quickly over algae-covered rocks, which any farm boy knew signified clean water, but, he thought, if the water was bad, he would most likely recover from whatever illness it triggered in him when he fully recovered from the Kryptonite exposure.
In this alternative universe Clark has had to hide his talents so well that he can survive under normal circumstances without them. Yet, during the games, his survival instincts w/o his powers are taxed to the limit. Good lookout regarding the algae on the rocks. If another tribute had poisoned the water he would have noticed that immediately.

All the logic in the world didn’t change how he felt. Becky had trusted him, and he had failed to live up to that trust. She had died horribly, and her death had no doubt been broadcast and re-broadcast across Panem, the Capitolites shocked and yet thrilled at Becky’s horrific end. In the districts, people would be sickened by what had happened — but they would watch anyway. There would be no mass refusal to watch the Games, and if a few people refused, the Peacekeepers would arrest them, using them as an example of what happened to those who defied the Capitol.
Ok people! Isn't it time we started talking about a resistance movement? The Capitolites diseased rule has to come to an end! This whole tribute system has gone on for over one hundred years! True, District 13 had fought back and were destroyed, but I find it hard to believe no other uprisings have occurred...

The thought of Platinum made Clark uneasy. The Careers were dangerous, but they were also arrogant and noisy, traits that could be their undoing.
All this is true, but those people have been trained for the Hunger Games. They know what to expect. Clark and the others are .... cannon fodder. Huh, excuse the expression.

When he had knocked her down, it had been so sudden and unexpected that she had dropped the spear and the knife fell out of her belt. She mistook his move as the beginning of an attack and watched as he stepped forward. She took a half step back and he followed, just as she had hoped he would. She took another retreating step and he sped up to close the distance. Now he was close enough to touch and she grabbed bunches of his jacket in each hand as she continued to move back, pulling him along, using his momentum against him. Once she was sure he was moving as she wanted, she bent her knees and started falling backwards. She curled her back in preparation for the technique and pulled her right foot up placing it in his mid-section. As she felt her butt hit the ground, she rolled back and pushed with her right leg, straightening it convulsively in a clean Tammoanagi, backward rolling throw. His feet left the ground as he sailed over her head, doing a flip. He landed on his back with a thud and she could hear his breath come out in a whoosh.
This fight scene is so realistic! It is very easy to visualize everything since every movement and gesture is draw for the reader. My back hurt when Clark landed on the ground. Perfect job KenJ!!!!

“You stole my rabbit!”

“I … what?”

“That rabbit is mine! I’m the one who speared it!”

“It got away from you. I’m the one who killed it.”

“You couldn’t have killed it without my help!”

Clark had to admit that this was true … but he would never tell Lois that. “We can share it,” he told her.

“Share it!?”

“Or else you get nothing.”

“You can’t tell me —“
rotflol Sorry! This is a very serious situation and they are fighting for their lives, but it is so Lois and Clark to be fighting over a rabbit! The dialogue is pitch perfect!

Sorry to hear Claude died so early. He should not have casted his lot with the Careers....

There would be no convincing Lois that she might not have killed Platinum, so Clark fell silent. He rested his head against the tree trunk, wishing that he could do something to console her, but he knew that there was nothing he could do to convince her that she hadn’t killed Platinum, just as he couldn’t convince himself that he hadn’t failed Becky.
Clark thinks he failed Becky. Lois feels she killed Platinum. Each is now carrying a terrible weight on their shoulders. It will affect how they handle themselves for the remainder of the Games.

“Alliances in the arena have to be broken,” Clark said. “We’re not allies. We’ll just … watch out for each other.”
And so it begins...

Cannot wait for next Saturday!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#97444 09/29/13 08:22 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know it's not apropos, but I can't get this out of my head:

Clark and Lois
Sittin' in a tree ...

kj
#97445 09/30/13 02:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois and Clark are alive. That is the most important thing right now. Considering 10 were dead in the first day, this is an achievement. eek

Platinum is dead, but I'm almost sure whoever killed her (and it was not Lois) must have taken her pendant. I don't believe it was the last time we saw Kryptonite. shock

“We’re not allies. We’ll just … watch out for each other.”
It doesn't matter what they call it, as long as they aren't killing each other. wink

Clark and Lois
Sittin' in a tree ...
Now they can't say it is not true. :p

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#97446 09/30/13 02:08 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana

Clark and Lois
Sittin' in a tree ...
Well, Becky certainly thought so in Chapter 6...much to Clark's dismay. lol

#97447 09/30/13 02:40 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by Morgana:
The launch platforms and the cornucopia were in front of a lake, but he didn’t dare to go there. That area would be under the control of the Careers by now, and any tribute attempting to get water or supplies would be killed. Clark couldn’t risk a run-in with the Careers — or any other tribute, for that matter — in his current weakened state. He also couldn’t discount the possibility that Platinum might be out there, in spite of her injuries in her fight with Lois. The last thing he needed was another exposure to Platinum’s Kryptonite pendant.
Why did the Careers stick to the cornucopia? Apparently it still contained weapons and supplies the other tributes could use? My concern is that if Platinum died someone might take the pendant as a prize ... poor Clark!
The Career pack controls the Cornucopia because that's where all the supplies are--all the food, all the weapons, all the medical supplies--and though such things can be found and made in the wilderness, it's a whole lot easier to have them ready-made.

I'll address the issue of the pendant in the next chapter.

The water was clear, with only a few leaves floating on it; in fact, it was so clear that he could see the rock strewn bottom and a few fish swimming past. It smelled clean, and the single drop Clark placed on his tongue tasted fine, but he still hesitated, fearing that he was wrong. It was fast becoming apparent, though, that if he didn’t drink the water he would suffer severely from dehydration, perhaps even die from it, before he regained his invulnerability. If he did drink it, he might get sick, though that was far from a certainty, especially since the water was clear and moving quickly over algae-covered rocks, which any farm boy knew signified clean water, but, he thought, if the water was bad, he would most likely recover from whatever illness it triggered in him when he fully recovered from the Kryptonite exposure.
In this alternative universe Clark has had to hide his talents so well that he can survive under normal circumstances without them. Yet, during the games, his survival instincts w/o his powers are taxed to the limit. Good lookout regarding the algae on the rocks. If another tribute had poisoned the water he would have noticed that immediately.[/quote]

I have to thank KenJ for the info about the algae. I've always regarded wildland water as something that shouldn't be drunk without processing unless absolutely necessary, and I wouldn't have had a clue on how to identify potentially safe water.

All the logic in the world didn’t change how he felt. Becky had trusted him, and he had failed to live up to that trust. She had died horribly, and her death had no doubt been broadcast and re-broadcast across Panem, the Capitolites shocked and yet thrilled at Becky’s horrific end. In the districts, people would be sickened by what had happened — but they would watch anyway. There would be no mass refusal to watch the Games, and if a few people refused, the Peacekeepers would arrest them, using them as an example of what happened to those who defied the Capitol.
Ok people! Isn't it time we started talking about a resistance movement? The Capitolites diseased rule has to come to an end! This whole tribute system has gone on for over one hundred years! True, District 13 had fought back and were destroyed, but I find it hard to believe no other uprisings have occurred...[/quote]
The Hunger Games were established to punish the Districts for the uprising that took place in the Dark Days. It has now been 66 years since the Dark Days, and though there's an underground movement, they don't have the impetus yet to get a large proportion of the population to rebel. That's what takes place in the Hunger Games series, when Katniss and Peeta, at the end of the 74th Hunger Games, basically give a giant up yours to the Capitol by refusing to play along with their sudden rule change, while at the same time having enough support from the viewers to get away with it.

The thought of Platinum made Clark uneasy. The Careers were dangerous, but they were also arrogant and noisy, traits that could be their undoing.
All this is true, but those people have been trained for the Hunger Games. They know what to expect. Clark and the others are .... cannon fodder. Huh, excuse the expression.[/quote]

Quite true, and the Careers win the majority of the time--but not always. At the time of the Quarter Quell in 75, there are at least two victors from every district.

“You stole my rabbit!”

“I … what?”

“That rabbit is mine! I’m the one who speared it!”

“It got away from you. I’m the one who killed it.”

“You couldn’t have killed it without my help!”

Clark had to admit that this was true … but he would never tell Lois that. “We can share it,” he told her.

“Share it!?”

“Or else you get nothing.”

“You can’t tell me —“
rotflol Sorry! This is a very serious situation and they are fighting for their lives, but it is so Lois and Clark to be fighting over a rabbit! The dialogue is pitch perfect![/quote]
Thanks. laugh

#97448 09/30/13 02:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Clark and Lois sittin' in a tree...

You know the rest. Very funny!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#97449 09/30/13 02:56 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Funny, I had the same verse in my head! smile

#97450 10/01/13 04:34 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Sam's Club also sells them singly. Oddly enough Volume 1 is the least expensive and Volume 3 the most expensive. I would have expected them to each cost the same.
It may have something to do with market saturation. Last week was Banned Books Week, and I put the books from the Hunger Games series into my annual display of banned and/or challenged books. Naturally, once the kids had been told that Somebody didn't want them to read all these books, they flew off the shelves. I wound up with more requests for two series (Harry Potter and the Hunger Games) than I had available books, so I went to the book trading website I use to order more. There are over 120 copies of The Hunger Games available, so I was easily able to order the extra copies the library needed, but there's a long waiting list for both Catching Fire and Mockingjay.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard