Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
In this story, Lois realised that Claude hadn't been honest about himself. She even said

"Why do I always get it so wrong?" she cried, spinning around. "I'm an independent, successful woman of the nineties, but I always choose jerks who pretend to be one thing and turn out to be something completely different."
My problem was that - as the readers knew - Clark could be accused of pretending to be one thing and turning out to be something completely different.

When I wrote the final part, I couldn't decide between the romantic ending that suited the story and an angsty ending that dealt with this problem. I decided to go with the simple ending, but the story never felt finished to me. Hence the epilogue.

Oh, and in case you're wondering black rice smells incredibly like bacon.

Thanks to everyone who read this fic.

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Adorable!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
clap clap dance
"Nah," Lois said. "Normal is overrated. Tonight I realised I could never marry a man who couldn't fly."
Perfect! This is the way Clark should have proposed-- I am Superman first, then will you marry me. Nice to see such a wonderful result. And I love that you cam back to this story for a sweet little epilogue! As always, very well done!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwww. It was just like Clark to try and explain himself, who he is, with an unfair comparison. The whole world out there *is* bacon, while I'm a bland type of rare rice which just smells like bacon.

I'm so glad that Lois was able to see through this comparison. I do have some favorite lines:

"I've had enough time," she said. "I've known from the start that you are different."

"You couldn't have known how different. I mean … flying … that's -"

"Perfect. And exactly what I would expect from a man who thinks chicken is romantic."
And...
"It changes everything. It means you are going to be saved from have to bear the lifelong ignominy of having fed your wife nothing but a few mouthfuls of black rice on the night you proposed."
clap Thanks for showing Clark the right way to propose.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Awww. What a wonderful epilogue!

Now Lois had better think carefully about what she will say when people ask her about how Clark proposed...

Joy,
Lynn

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Great epilogue! I was wondering whether he had become Superman in the interim, which would have made the explanation much easier. I like seeing Clark have to convince her that he actually is an alien and not crazy.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful. So glad to get an epilogue to this story. I loved it.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice work closing out this story!

Something real. Something lasting. Something strong. Something dependable.

Something you could build your whole life on.

And that's exactly what Lois Lane intended to do.

Accept Clark's proposal … make him hers if he gave even the slightest hint he was ready for that … marry him …

And live happily ever after.
Lois is so excited and sweet here! None of the sharp edges she would have had if Claude had been in her life. The creep! razz

"Come on in," Clark said, closing the door behind her. He stood on the little landing and indulged in a long, slow, sensual sweep, his face so etched with appreciation that Lois could feel the touch of his eyes as clearly as if it had been his hands wandering across her body. "You're so beautiful, Lois," he murmured.
What a great WAFFY description!

"So when you opened your eyes and saw it was rice, you probably felt some initial disappointment. Shock even."
Black rice that smells like bacon. Now THAT is a unique way to begin a reveal!

Lois stomped her foot on the floor. "Stop it, Clark!" she said, close to tears now. "Stop this stupidity. I've had enough of aliens and planets and flying." She dragged in a wobbly breath. "I thought you were going to propose to me tonight. I thought this was the night when we were going to promise to be together forever. Instead, you give me black rice and an absurd story about …"
Lois, but not Lois....

"A normal man?"

"Nah," Lois said. "Normal is overrated. Tonight I realised I could never marry a man who couldn't fly."

His arms tightened around her. "Thank you for accepting me, Lois. All of me."

"You'll never be alone again," she whispered. "From now on, you're with me, Clark Kent. And I wouldn't change a thing."
Perfect way to close out a neat story! Thank you! dance

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved this story and this epilogue was a nice surprise! Thank you for posting it. hyper

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
All smiles here. Thanks for the great ending!

Shallowford
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story! I remember waiting anxiously as each part was posted--and I was thrilled to see that there was an epilogue! smile ....I love you're style of writing--it is so easy to picture the scenes playing in my head as I read your stories...

Awww...such a descriptive way of showing Clark's love...especially liked how you used the word 'murmured'--it captured how enthralled he was smile :
"Come on in," Clark said, closing the door behind her. He stood on the little landing and indulged in a long, slow, sensual sweep, his face so etched with appreciation that Lois could feel the touch of his eyes as clearly as if it had been his hands wandering across her body. "You're so beautiful, Lois," he murmured.
Loved how Lois 'tested' him--awesome way of Lois coming to terms with all of Clark's news...and the fact that Lois was behind a wall sticking her tongue out at Clark is really funny! :
Lois marched into his bedroom. Once shielded by the wall, she said, "What am I doing?"

Clark gave a grunt that could have suggested humour.

"Well?" she demanded.

"You're poking out your tongue."

Lois retracted her tongue and moved back into his sight. She marched up to him and put her hands on his chest, pushing him back against the window. Picking up today's copy of the Daily Planet, she stormed up the stairs, opened up the Death Notices, and held it up. "Read the fourth one from the top," she instructed.

Clark pushed his glasses down his nose. "Bailey, nee Campbell, Ava Elizabeth, born 22nd of December, 1901, died -"
Really liked this line...it added a lot before her question about flying smile :
The reporter part of her wriggled out from under the mound of shock and shook off some dust. "Is it just the flying?"
Loved this part and how the 'deal' Lois made with him gets them back to the apt. so the proposal could begin! :
Lois reached up and kissed him. "Let's go back," she whispered.

She thought she saw the flicker of Clark's disappointment. "You've have enough of flying?" he said.

"No," she said. "I want to do it again tomorrow. And the next day. And every day after that. But we had a deal."
Really enjoyed this story--and the epilogue was a fantastic way to get Clark's secret out and get them heading towards the aisle!

Laura dance

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
U
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
U
This was great! You're right; it was a perfect ending to the story.

Ultra Lucille
Top Banana
Top Banana
I sent a link to this story in the Archives to my sister, who is a chef. She's not very familiar with the characters, but she loved the cooking descriptions and asked me to say so.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard