Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
The gentle betas have all but insisted on an epilogue to tie up all the loose ends, so there is one on the way. But this should tide you over until then.

evil

Or not.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Wonderful story. I was just going to request an epilogue but you are a step ahead. Thanks

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
It actually was a cute story overall.
Seeing Mad Dog Lane as an all out vigilante was kind of fun.
The lack of actual victims pressing charges will help Lois' case, but she really did step over the line several times and will have to face some significant consequences.
Of course, this is a fictional judicial system and who knows what will happen in a world that has in it an alien do-gooder who can fly.

Looking forward to the wrap-up.

Tank (who figures that by the time Lois gets out of prison her hair will have grown back to its original length, or longer, and she will be able to cut it short as a symbol of her reinstated freedom... or something like that wink )

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As long as Mayson doesn't get her glims on Clark Lois could be okay. If Mayson sees Clark and sees Lois as a rival, she could throw the book at her just to get her out of the way.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful ending. Now before Lois says anything have her watch the following.
Don\'t talk to the police part 1
Don\'t talk to the Police part 2

Have her decline to discuss ANYTHING, and I mean anything at all.

Is there anyway we can see Lois facing off with Mayson Drake?

I can picture Mayson as Lois refuses to speak to her or the Police.

Framework4
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by KenJ:
As long as Mayson doesn't get her glims on Clark Lois could be okay. If Mayson sees Clark and sees Lois as a rival, she could throw the book at her just to get her out of the way.
I guess Mayson could do that, but it would be the stupidies move ever. As long as Lois is away, Clark will be totally loyal to her.

Of course, as soon as Lois is out, Clark will probably marry her, so really, Mayson has no hope either way.

Throwing the book at Lois would also not endear her to Clark, so it would not help.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sometimes people do foolish things for love, but Mayson won't throw a case simply to get Clark. Unlike a lot of folks, I always liked her character, if she were happily married to another attorney she might have been respected much more.

That's just my two cents thrown in for fun! dance

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
Love this story! I was going to request a sequel, but I suppose an epilogue will do. wink I think what I love the most is Lois coming straight out and telling Clark that just partners isn't going to cut it anymore and that she wants to marry him... clap love So sweet. I hope Lois does get out of jail time because I also want her to find out about Superman being Clark... But I'll take whatever you'll give us.

It's been a fun ride!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Morgana:
Sometimes people do foolish things for love, but Mayson won't throw a case simply to get Clark. Unlike a lot of folks, I always liked her character, if she were happily married to another attorney she might have been respected much more.
I'm going to have to agree with you, Morgana. Mayson's a professional no matter what eye-candy Clark might bring to the table.

Also, if Lois does do time in jail, I was going to say, Clark would marry her first (then as her husband he wouldn't be able to testify against her), but then he'd have to tell her CK=SM before she went to jail and I don't know if he'd do that or wait for her to get out first and them to date a while first (marriage proposal or not). Although, I could see him marry her in name only, as I would think they would have to start over their relationship from square one once she got out of jail.

The sudden pain in his right wrist from a size eleven loafer stopped him. Kent looked down at him and said, “You be still, Lex, or I just might grab one ankle in each hand and make a Jean Claude Van Damme wish.”

“What?” grunted Lex.
clap I just couldn't picture Lex watching one of his movies.

Also, Clark dizzy between what Clark says to Lois about nobody pressing charges and Henderson saying he's not arresting her and then her saying she didn't know how long she'd be in jail. I was like huh Let's see if I can find the spot...

First, Clark says this: (starting with Lois's line):
She felt her eyes widen. “What? Oh, no! I shot his toe off?”

“Yes. But before you panic, listen. The orthopedic surgeon on call repaired his foot and he’s walking just fine now, as long as he has his therapeutic shoe insert. Henderson talked to him about testifying against you, but Walt realized he’d have to reveal who sold you the pistol, so he declined to provide testimony. And none of your other – ah, ‘interview subjects’ – are in any position to press charges against you. Big Mike insists he accidentally shot himself. Alan Robertson is in Haiti and isn’t coming back any time soon. You didn’t shoot Jenna Leibowitz or Karen Carter, and their memories are still scrambled by whatever you gave them. So nobody is going to testify against you. Except maybe Lex, of course, and you didn’t actually shoot him.”
Then Henderson says:
“I’m getting you out of there, Lane, before you really do hurt someone badly enough for me to arrest you.”

“What? You mean – I’m not under arrest?”

“Not yet. But you are a material witness and you need to meet with the DA about your recent activities. So if you come along quietly, I won’t put cuffs on your wrists.”
and then right after that, Lois runs back into the office and says:
“No. I mean – “ she pulled back and looked him in the eyes “ – I might have to go to prison for what I’ve done. I don’t know how likely it is that I’ll end up behind bars, but it might be some time before I’m free. In a legal sense, that is.”

“Lois, you don’t – “

“I need to know if you’ll wait for me. Even if I have to spend several years in prison! I can serve whatever sentence they give me if I know you’ll be waiting for me when I get out.”
Now, while this is what I thought would be the case after all since had done, it confused me after both Clark and Henderson saying what they said. At first, I thought Lois was lying to Clark, not knowing that Clark had heard her entire conversation with Henderson about him not arresting her, and was just testing him if he loved her after all (especially since she was so rude to him). It took me re-reading that whole section to realize that they both knew Henderson would still be arresting her at some point on the other crimes. (Whether or not the victim is willing or available to press charges, couldn't the DA charge her with assault and attempted murder?)

One little nit-pick. I could never see Lois call Clark "darling", especially since that's Lex's go-to endearment for her.

I'm glad you're going to have an epilogue, because I think we need a bit more closure. jump

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Okay, last chapter is in, epilogue is almost here, but we have comments! Let's get to them.

Thanks for the compliment, AndyG. Hope you like the wrap-up as well.

Hey, Tank, thanks for reading and commenting! Yes, there are consequences coming, but I'm not sure the hair scenario you suggested will make it into the final cut (pun intended). Sometimes I feel as if Lois' commitment to truth and justice - which is just as powerful as Superman's - gets short shrift in fanfic, even when she's the central character. Not always, of course, but I like to see Lois driven to do all kinds of things for the right reasons, even if the things she does cross the line.

KenJ, your concern is addressed in the epilogue. But I'm unfamiliar with the term "glims" in this context. Could you or someone else enlighten me?

I watched part of the first video, Frame. I agree that it's a bad idea to talk to the police about an unsolved crime without legal representation, but to tell people NEVER to talk to the police is going a bit too far, I believe. However, there is a confrontation between Lois and Mayson - may not, however, be the one you were hoping for.

John, you're right about Mayson. One thing that's canon is that she's honest as they come. Also unrealistic about any relationship with Clark, but that's another story.

Morgana, I see we're on the same page with respect to Mayson's character. And you may toss in your tuppence whenever you so choose!

Mouse, I thought about a sequel - briefly - but my muses have ADOS (Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny!) and couldn't be bothered right now. Maybe later, but I make no promises.

Interesting speculation about Lois going to jail, Virginia. I can see that happening. Of course, you can see what my muses gave me in the epilogue, so, there we go with that.

I didn't think Clark "coaxed" Lois into shooting at Lex' feet. Didn't Lex himself say that there was no reason for the police to enter the building? And didn't Lois pull the trigger in response to his statement?

As to the DA charging Lois with assault and attempted murder, such charges can be filed without the victim's testimony, but there must be some corroborating evidence to do so. And we'll find out about that testimony and evidence in the epilogue.

Lois called Clark "darling?" I guess she was under more stress than I thought.

And I want to thank you again, Virginia, for adding my story to the A-Plot challenge. I never thought about this tale qualifying, but it really does. Thank you for thinking of that for me.

Epilogue up in moments! Stay tuned!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard